The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
danheit

Need advice/help on body drop 55 TF

Hey guys, kinda at a crossroads, and could really use a fresh perspective. I'm gonna ask a question, so with your response, please include a WHY you would go that way. OK, here it is:

on my 1955 2nd series TF, I am putting a late model frame under the truck (that's happening, so take the "choose another frame" out of the equation). Long story short, I am using a 90 model GMC frame, which is just about a perfect fit, EXCEPT where the frame curves up for the rear wheels/bed area. I have two options to mount the cab to this frame. I can either build 4 new body mounts that raise the cab up high enough (4.5") to where I need to make no cab modifications, and can bolt directly to the cab's original mounts, keeping in mind that I won't show a whole lot of frame due to the way the steps come down. I may only show about 3-4 inches of frame under the truck. That's the easiest route IMO, and I have already built and welded the rear mounts to the frame. That was the hard part. Next is just build a front set, quick and easy, and call it a day, drop the cab down, bolt it on and go.

My other option is to cut out the center portion of the cab floor for the driveshaft to run through (will not effect my bench seat) and cut out two small recesses in the rear of the cab for the 5-6" of frame that curve upwards, and remove the 90's tank and exhaust system and find new places for them.

Here's my dilemma: I really do believe that the truck will look better sitting on the frame, all the way down. With the lowering that has already been done to the suspension, I will be about 3 inches off the ground. I need to replace my front floors anyways, but will have to do a WHOLE lot more fab work to make the body sit right, have to find a new place to mount the tank, if not get a whole new tank, and will have to reroute the exhaust, as it currently sits in about the same spot as the fuel tank, just on the opposite side of the frame. So, looks better, lots more work, possibly lots more money that I don't have

-OR-

Not have the truck sit as low, be roughly 7.5-8 inches off the ground, but be done with mounting the body and be that much closer to getting to drive it. I have all the materials to finish this job, I have already figured out the mounts for the front, really not a whole lot left to do, and I won't have to start over from scratch.

This is not being built to be a show truck, just something loud and beat up that goes fast, and can double as a pickup truck for me when I need it.
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Chevette

Re: Need advice/help on body drop 55 TF

If you feel you have enough headroom in the cab and you have the tools, why not raise the cab floor up into the cab a couple of inches? Since all four cab mounts bolt to the floor you wouldn't need to change anything else. Just sayin'. I'm building new floors and firewall and plan on raising the floor an inch or so. I'm notching the back of the cab at the frame rails.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
meter swinger

Not sure if youve checked this thread? he is putting and TF on an 88 frame.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
_Ogre

it all depends on where the wheels will fit in the openings
if your saying the body will be 3'' off the ground that's a little low to drive on the roads
unless south carolina got a whole lot flatter since i was there last

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
danheit

Here's pics of what I am working with so you guys can see what I am talking about. Keep in mind the truck is up on jack stands.....

2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
danheit

Please also ignore the mess and my uncleaned welds!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
_Ogre

even with the body on 4.5'' stilts i don't think the frame will be lower than the rockers
spend a moment with a tape measure to check where the frame will be compared to the rockers
it would certainly be easier to get it on a hoist
these trucks are a pain in the butt to get on a hoist when they are lowered

Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
danheit

Ha! You aren't lying! I have to jack the truck up on jack stands just to get the engine lift (body lift) legs under the frame! I dropped the body on there last night after building the front mounts, and it does sit a few inches higher than I would like, but I can deal with it. I think it will work, and if I decide to change it later on down the road, it shouldn't be too hard. I just hate to do all this work now to have to pull the cab back off later on, know what I mean? Right now I have about 2-3 inches of exposed frame under the rockers. Thankfully, with the way the step is built, you can't see it unless you are actually looking under the truck, but I would have liked it a bit lower. I may still go ahead and do it, but an air ride will be required. I may have to do it anyways just to get over the hump at the end of my driveway. It's stamped acrylic concrete coating at the end and I really hate to tear that up....
Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
_Ogre

if you have 3'' of frame showing under the rockers you may need to rethink your mounts
drop the cab and bed 3'' otherwise you will need to stay at or near stock height

Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre;559 2366
if you have 3'' of frame showing under the rockers you may need to rethink your mounts
drop the cab and bed 3'' otherwise you will need to stay at or near stock height
That is what I was thinking. Most guys would build a tunnel for the trans and trim the back of the cab to clear the kick up in the frame rails and set the cab that much closer to the frame rather than having it up on stilts. Like my granny said when she was sewing, a nip here and a tuck there and it will fit fine.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote