The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
69c10stepside
Large Member

'89 GMC C1500 build thread

It is time to start working on my 89 gmc again. I have owned the truck since I was 16. That has been some.. twelve years now. Anyways, I have had it parked for better part of five years, licensed/insured and drove maybe 1200 miles in that time frame.

It used to be my daily driver/go to school/do everything else in vehicle (ha if only the wife knew), but now I am going to put it where it belongs and have it be a fair weather cruiser.

Parts I don't plan on changing:

4/4 drop with spindles/springs in the front and different springs in the rear
Wheels/Tires
Hood (pending clearance issues)
Built 700r4 Update 03/13/2012 Upgrading to 4L80e Transmission
Front Bumper/Cover
Front Seats (they are faded but will dye them back out) Update changed out
Exhaust (Other then headers)

And for parts I have to change out:

Front Clip - other then Hood
Doors - Using 95-up doors on the truck, current ones are broken up badly and I don't care for the door panels
Engine - (bought a 6.0L, going carb'd with msd crank trigger ignition)
Interior - (undecided if I am going to do a full 96 dash swap) Keeping the burgundy color style
Bed - (mine was workable, bought another one worth the money that doesn't need bodywork)
Paint - (not doing anything fancy, just going back with the factory black)
Grille - (Gmc grille is broke in three mounting areas, have a 94-98 Chevy chrome grille I might use on it instead)

Parts to buy:

Carpet
Motor mount brackets for Gen 3 Engine (I hear ebay) - Update bought
GMPP Hot Cam - Update bought
Headers (need some advice on which to go with for this body style truck) - Update bought Schoenfeld Headers
3rd Member Have some F__D 9" parts, 6 lug 14bolt.. not decided on this part yet - Update went with 14 bolt and had axles redrilled
Carb Currently have a summit brand 650cfm, I don't think it will cut it - Update bought a 750
Intake - Update bought a GMPP rectangle port intake
Msd Controller - Update bought a MSD 6010
Flexplate - Update bought a flexplate for a th350/700r4, now get to swap back to one for a 4l80e

So with all of that said, I will be pulling motor/trans out together. Vortec headed'd roller 355 will more then likely be going into a 3/4 Ton truck I am going to buy. - Done

Once I get the motor/trans pulled I will start the tear down process of the front end. I am going to rebuild everything that wasn't replaced with the drop spindles when I had them put in.

I will work through everything to make it as clean as it should be, or as clean as I can make it be. It isn't going to be a show truck when I get done with it, but I want it to look like the owner is proud of it nonetheless.

Anyways, this topic is useless with out pictures so here are some.

Yes I did pull the bed before I took the other pictures (Did that before the last of the two rounds of snow came through) I will put a picture I have of the truck right after I bought the wheels/tires off of craigslist on. :edit: Picture in

Well here is to a new year starting out good for the ol' truck. I plan on having majority of the work done by cruising weather, but I anticipate a year or so build time?.. Who knows.

1972 Gmc Jimmy

1972 Chevy C10 SWB Sold

Last edited by 69c10stepside; 03-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.
69c10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote