The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #26
GM-power
Registered User
 
GM-power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 770
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

To check your mount id visually inspect it then have somebody load the engine up. Generally a motor mount will make a clunking sound and itll feel alittle sluggish.
__________________
1979 Sierra Classic Heavy-half
1996 Silverado x-cab "the daily"
GM-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #27
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
To check your mount id visually inspect it then have somebody load the engine up. Generally a motor mount will make a clunking sound and itll feel alittle sluggish.
Sounds pretty good, and I started to look at it and think about it. And I have a flex pipe that runs right up close behind the transfer case, it's actually woarn down the fins a half inch but not has a quarter inch gap. Now that im thinking about it I bet I have a bad motor mount that is clanking and the engine is torquing and chattering off the T case. Just a hope! Hah
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #28
Chevy3+3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Winfield KS
Posts: 489
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Best way to check for a bad motor mount yourself is to open the hood and with the truck running. Put it into gear and act as if your going to power brake your truck. While your doing this look through the gap between your hood and cowl. Don't be afraid to give it the gas because you trying to duplicate the same torque when your driving. If your mount is broke the engine will lift up on one side in drive. If it doesn't then try to power brake your truck in reverse to check the other mount.

Its pretty easy to figure it out once you see the motor try and climb out from under the hood, lol.
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #29
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
Best way to check for a bad motor mount yourself is to open the hood and with the truck running. Put it into gear and act as if your going to power brake your truck. While your doing this look through the gap between your hood and cowl. Don't be afraid to give it the gas because you trying to duplicate the same torque when your driving. If your mount is broke the engine will lift up on one side in drive. If it doesn't then try to power brake your truck in reverse to check the other mount.

Its pretty easy to figure it out once you see the motor try and climb out from under the hood, lol.
Hahah I like how easy that sounds to check it. Drive one way reverse the other
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #30
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

As much as that motor mount made sense... I have my thoughts that it's not that.It's really going down hill.... Burning through gas and oil. And oil is coming out the breather in the valve cover. A lot of power loss I was going up at hill at 55 put the pedal to the floor went know where the motor sounded louder but no rpm or mph increase. May be the end of the old girl.
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #31
74sqrbdy
Registered User
 
74sqrbdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: fullerton, ca
Posts: 26
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

On one of your posts you said it sounds like a mason jar with nuts and bots in it rattling around. Could it be pinging or detonating? Under a load like going uphill is when this happens most. Maybe your timing is too far advanced or you got a realy bad batch of gas.....both of these could cause that type of sound.
74sqrbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #32
jjzepplin
Registered User
 
jjzepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ruskin Florida
Posts: 4,239
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Maybe he just needs to downshift?
__________________
70 swb 4x4 406sbc 700r4 203/205 d60/14blt locker yadda yadda http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...88#post6935688 Yeller
72 Blazer 2wd conversion project "No Daggum Money" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550804 LS1-T56 3.73 LSD super budget build
Blanco-2014 Sierra SWB https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810350
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #33
Chevy3+3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Winfield KS
Posts: 489
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

It sounds silly but check your flywheel cover. My dads came loose on time and it started rattling around and made alot of noise. Its just something simple to check
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #34
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74sqrbdy View Post
On one of your posts you said it sounds like a mason jar with nuts and bots in it rattling around. Could it be pinging or detonating? Under a load like going uphill is when this happens most. Maybe your timing is too far advanced or you got a realy bad batch of gas.....both of these could cause that type of sound.
I did say it sounds like that, but I will say it sounds like loose rocker arms almost, but, it doesn't make the noise in neutral at all. I can rev it all I want no noise. Also I'll add the noise isn't there when the engine is cold, or the part in which the noise is coming from, I have a long drive home from work and all of it is mostly down hill. I noticed if I am coasting a lot and then have to pull a hill the noise isn't there and then comes back pretty soon. I texted taking a video of it but you can't hear it over the engine. At 1100 rpms is when it starts and at 2000rpms you can hear it over the radio turned all the way up. I've never been so stumped in my life
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #35
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
It sounds silly but check your flywheel cover. My dads came loose on time and it started rattling around and made alot of noise. Its just something simple to check
I was going to take it off today and check the flywheel itself to see if it's bent or cracked
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #36
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Maybe he just needs to downshift?
It's a auto, but I wish that was the problem! Haha
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #37
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Maybe he just needs to downshift?
It's a auto, but I wish that was the problem! Haha
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #38
Chevy3+3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Winfield KS
Posts: 489
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

When it starts making noise does the truck still run okay? Does it start missing and lose power at all? Does your drivetain shudder at all?
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #39
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
When it starts making noise does the truck still run okay? Does it start missing and lose power at all? Does your drivetain shudder at all?
It might be looseing power idk if it does I don't notice it, I try to baby the truck never really going above 2k rpms.and It shifts fine and sounds good
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #40
SnowNeck
Registered User
 
SnowNeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 132
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Well everyone I found the noise. I had a spark knock due to the distributor being waaaay advanced, THANKS everyone for all the help.!
__________________
1985 High Sierra step side 4x4
SnowNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #41
74sqrbdy
Registered User
 
74sqrbdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: fullerton, ca
Posts: 26
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

Wow, I was right.......Glad you found the problem.
74sqrbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #42
jjzepplin
Registered User
 
jjzepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ruskin Florida
Posts: 4,239
Re: Help, Loud engine noise!

WOW!! A guy in California helped a fella in Pennsylvania fix his truck! Amazing! Gotta love this site.
__________________
70 swb 4x4 406sbc 700r4 203/205 d60/14blt locker yadda yadda http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...88#post6935688 Yeller
72 Blazer 2wd conversion project "No Daggum Money" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550804 LS1-T56 3.73 LSD super budget build
Blanco-2014 Sierra SWB https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810350
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
305, bearing, chirping, transfer case, transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com