The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
scottmitchellrose

new clutch not engaging?

OK- a ridiculous question for anyone who knows what they are doing... I had a friend show me how to build an engine (350 from a 69 block). It runs great. I attached the clutch, clutch fork, throwout bearing and bellhousing then lined it up, put it in the 1970 c10 (factor 4x4). It has a 3 on the tree. I cannot shift gears if the 4 x 4 is in neutral. If I put it in low or high (without locking the front wheels) I can then shift 1,2, 3, reverse all just fine. However, at no point in time do I get power from the engine to the transmission (I release the clutch while in gear and it acts like it is in neutral). Any ideas on how I have screwed this up...? Thanks a lot,
scottmitchellrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
GMCPaul

Re: new clutch not engaging?

I'd guess the clutch disc was installed backwards, never done this but rather sure I've heard if done that's the issue caused, otherwise I'd think of condition of flywheel and pressure plate were they heavily glazed? or did you surface them prior to install.....
I asked dad about this and he stated if it's backwards you normally can't get it into gear and if started in gear it tries taking off as it's already engaged ( also causes grinding if running trying to engage with truck running), he suggested possibly the glazed parts, incorrect throwout bearing or improper adjustment not letting the clutch fully out.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls

Last edited by GMCPaul; 03-19-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: extra info
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
AussieinNC

There are two different height throw out bearings...one is taller than the other...

If you used a tall throw out bearing with a tall pressure plate, the tall throw out bearing will bottom against the base of the trans snout and prevent the pressure plate from applying pressure to the clutch plate..

You can check this easily....place the trans in Neutral, apply park brake, then slide under the truck. Remove the clutch release rod from the Z link and the release fork....then try and spin the clutch plate ...use a flat screwdriver and access the clutch plate between the pressure plate and flywheel....if it spins you have found your problem....

I am assuming you have the correct clutch plate for your trans...you did check it was correct before you installed the kit?

What trans is installed?

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
AussieinNC

So did we get this clutch to engage yet?

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote