The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
BenjiLang

62 diesel

Has anyone done a diesel conversion on any 60-66 especially a 62? I just picked up a 62 lwb fleetside with a straight 6 and was planning on doing a 350 swap but that is fairly common and I'm thinking about swapping out for a diesel. I have a lot of body work expertise but not much mechanical at all so I'm wondering if the conversion will blow my ability and budget. Any info will be a huge help!
BenjiLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
spacedebris

Re: 62 diesel

I started putting a Cummins 5.9L (BT6) in my 60 Apache 30 Panel a while ago. Unfortunately I'm out of work so its on hold for now but here is a link to what I've done so far.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009

It is taking a LOT of modification to make it fit right. I'm pushing the engine back and loosing some cab space. Lots of firewall modification. However I have seen the same conversion where the owner stretched the front out another 6 inches but that means frame and fender extensions.

However, from what I've learned so far, a BT4 Cummins would likely fit really nicely with a lot less modification. I also have heard that there is someone here that is doing a Duramax conversion. However I believe that the Duramax is even bigger than my BT6.

Hope this helps
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
BenjiLang

Thank you for the info. Although it's a little disheartening, as that sounds like much more than my ability or budget will allow, I'm glad to hear that before I go spend the money on a motor. Anyone know more about the fit of a 4bt in a C10 or any other recommendations of a diesel that doesn't require as much modification?
BenjiLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
RKO

Its not that hard to put a diesel in one
I would use a four cylinder turbo diesel
Friend built a 64 with a four four cylinder turbo Perkins. It had all kinds of power. He used an overdrive transmission to keep rpms down. He drove it to Alaska once
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
53Sparky

The Isuzu 4BT1 diesel engine is a great small diesel engine and fits fairly well. I've seen it done but I don't have pics.

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
padresag

just try and keep the weight down
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Seen a couple with Detroit 453T 4 cylinders. Nothing sounds quite as good as those green beasts. IMOP. lol
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Seen a couple with Detroit 453T 4 cylinders. Nothing sounds quite as good as those green beasts. IMOP. lol
the 453T was the quiet one. I drove my 453 for 18 years and they are the ones with the real tone. the turbo'd version quiets them down
you don't get to carry on a conversation anyone and you don't need to turn the radio on as it is not that easy to hear.
my gov was set at 2950 at when she was up there she was humming

ron
Old 11-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
dieseldude4bt

A 4BT can be done with no mods to the fire wall and can even keep the trans cross member in the stock location.

I used a high mount turbo manifold and had to mod the fire wall recess for exhaust clearance but with a different manifold it could be done with no mods.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude4bt View Post
A 4BT can be done with no mods to the fire wall and can even keep the trans cross member in the stock location.

I used a high mount turbo manifold and had to mod the fire wall recess for exhaust clearance but with a different manifold it could be done with no mods.
so why is this guy having a problem with his crossmember under the b/housing?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686847
they are quite a bit smaller than a 453 detroit
ron
Old 11-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
dieseldude4bt

He is using a ford trans in his.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
mr andrerson

this guy is running a perkins in a 60
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5259631875.html
mr andrerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #13
jdl71

I noticed both of these are missing the heater core/blower. Did it get moved inside or just not being used?

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #14
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
I noticed both of these are missing the heater core/blower. Did it get moved inside or just not being used?
mine had a different style put inside but was useless as........on a bull. there was no room on the outside
ron
Old 11-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #15
dieseldude4bt

economy heater in side under dash. Vintage Air would also work.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #16
jdl71

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the pre '64s having the economy with everything inside.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
BenkeBird

I have a -62 Panel with a 6.2L GMC diesel and TH400 trans and it works great, but I did not do the swap, it was already done when I bought it from the other guy. Maybe I can take some photos this weekend of the motor-bay.
BenkeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
dieseldude4bt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenkeBird View Post
I have a -62 Panel with a 6.2L GMC diesel and TH400 trans and it works great, but I did not do the swap, it was already done when I bought it from the other guy. Maybe I can take some photos this weekend of the motor-bay.
I would like to see them.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #19
BigSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
so why is this guy having a problem with his crossmember under the b/housing?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686847
they are quite a bit smaller than a 453 detroit
ron
My bellhousing is a lot bigger than a SM420 and pushed back farther and lower to move weight toward the center. When putting in a non-native drivetrain you really don't want all that weight jackhammering the front. I think you learned that lesson the hard way with that detroit installation! But you live and learn.

The best way to do it is to try to move things for ideal weight distribution. So ideally you would put things into the firewall and down instead of hanging forward - unfortunately that put my giant bellhousing into the shackle crossmember. If the original poster doesn't use a big overdrive transmission and mounts the engine/trans higher up he shouldn't run into my issue.

I recommend the 4BT - it fits well and I believe the weight is approximately the same as or a little less than the stock GMC V6.

The 6BT is a big engine - I have one of those too. I don't know if that would fit in the 60-66 bay.

With all this said - don't expect a quick swap that is straightforward. There is a good amount of fabrication, tinkering, and most of all you will get the bug to go through the engine. I went all the way down to taking out the crank...

Good luck and if you have any 4BT questions we have a few people who have them and may know the answer.
BigSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #20
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSix View Post
My bellhousing is a lot bigger than a SM420 and pushed back farther and lower to move weight toward the center. When putting in a non-native drivetrain you really don't want all that weight jackhammering the front. I think you learned that lesson the hard way with that detroit installation! But you live and learn.

The best way to do it is to try to move things for ideal weight distribution. So ideally you would put things into the firewall and down instead of hanging forward - unfortunately that put my giant bellhousing into the shackle crossmember. If the original poster doesn't use a big overdrive transmission and mounts the engine/trans higher up he shouldn't run into my issue.

I recommend the 4BT - it fits well and I believe the weight is approximately the same as or a little less than the stock GMC V6.

The 6BT is a big engine - I have one of those too. I don't know if that would fit in the 60-66 bay.

With all this said - don't expect a quick swap that is straightforward. There is a good amount of fabrication, tinkering, and most of all you will get the bug to go through the engine. I went all the way down to taking out the crank...

Good luck and if you have any 4BT questions we have a few people who have them and may know the answer.
i have already told you that was not a sm420 that was in mine .tI told you what it was and it is a little heavier duty and bigger than what you have (a 5 speed o/d). mine also had a 13" clutch which does require a larger bellhousing. the bellhousing mounted in the same area as a stock one would have been, so the trans would have hung in the right place.
I didn't have anything to live and learn about. the detroit was mounted in there where it should have been . it could not have been moved back nor could it have been moved forward, just that it was heavy . it handled and performed well
ron
Old 11-06-2015, 10:32 PM   #21
BigSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
i have already told you that was not a sm420 that was in mine .tI told you what it was and it is a little heavier duty and bigger than what you have (a 5 speed o/d). mine also had a 13" clutch which does require a larger bellhousing. the bellhousing mounted in the same area as a stock one would have been, so the trans would have hung in the right place.
I didn't have anything to live and learn about. the detroit was mounted in there where it should have been . it could not have been moved back nor could it have been moved forward, just that it was heavy . it handled and performed well
ron
I know. But just above you asked why I had trouble with my bellhousing and I explained my transmission is bigger than the stock SM420 and mounted differently. I seem to have made you sensitive about your old setup - did not mean to. Just wanted to answer your above question because you had posted a link which made me think I didn't clarify originally. Also giving some shoehorning advice to the original poster
Old 11-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #22
BenkeBird

Here is the picture tha a take this weekend, maybe it will help you, that was tricky to take the picture in details so I took two of the engine bay and one of the motor mount on the left side.
Attached Images

BenkeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #23
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenkeBird View Post
Here is the picture tha a take this weekend, maybe it will help you, that was tricky to take the picture in details so I took two of the engine bay and one of the motor mount on the left side.
Man that 6.2 fits in nicely. Might have to consider one for the future. I've heard that a turbo wakes these things up nicely.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #24
dieseldude4bt

What kind of mileage do you get with that 6.2 diesel?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #25
BigSix

That 6.2 looks mighty fine. I really like that. Around here all the postal bread trucks are 6.2 and have crazy mileage on them - seem to be tight engines that do not share the 6.5 reputation.