The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
saxart

Is LMC REALLY this bad?!?!?

I'm somewhat of a noob here, so pardon my post if it's off base, but something isn't adding up.

I placed a large order with LMC for quite a few "bits and pieces" totaling around $300 for my truck about a week ago. The box showed up quickly, the order was correct, and everything looked to be of decent quality.

One of the items I ordered was a complete parking brake cable set up for my truck ('70 Long-Box, 1/2 ton, with coil springs). You have to be careful when you order these items from LMC's website as they have many different options based what truck you have (long/shortbox, 2WD or 4X4, 1/2T or 3/4T, etc) With of all of these options I figured it would be good because all of the cables would be an exact fit since things are so specific.

This weekend I began installing the cables, and right away there was a problem. The cables looked good, but the rear cables do not fit into the rear brake backing plates correctly. The cable end has "barbs" on it that are supposed to hold it into the hole in the backing plate, but the 1/2" cable end doesn't even come close to "snapping" into the 11/16" hole in the backing plate. Not only are the cables way to narrow, but the way the barbs are set up on these cables, the backing plate would have to be almost 1/4" thick for the cables to actually hold tight inside the holes.

I thought maybe I messed up something when I ordered these rear cables, so I double checked the part number tonight on LMC's website:

34-3836 Rear Cable (w/coil springs) 1/2T 67-72 $19.95

Yep, that is the cable I ordered, and according to the bag they were in, that is the cable they shipped me. Really?? I can't believe they would think it's OK to have a 1/2" cable end bobbling around in an 11/16" hole in the backing plate.

Here is a crappy photo of me test fitting the cable into the backing plate. You can see the daylight between the two.

Does anyone here have any experience with these LMC rear-cables? I'm trying to decide if I should ship these back and order them from online-tube, (are those any better?) or if I should just weld up the holes in the backing plate and redrill them to the 1/2" size. Is it possible that the holes in my backing plates are somehow worn bigger than original, or is LMC just really that far out of touch on these things? So far I've really been happy with some of the stuff I've gotten from LMC, but not these cables!

Last edited by saxart; 06-05-2016 at 09:59 PM.
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Is LMC REALLY this bad?!?!?

A lot of times this stuff has been modified, cobbled, or wallered out through the years. The rear end may have been changed at one time. I think your idea of welding in a washer is a good idea.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
Trevor

I just measured my backing plates and mine have 11/16" holes. My truck is all original, and when I took the factory cables out they still fit nice and snug.

LMC and other companies are out of touch because too many just let it slide and just modify to suit those wrong parts ...

Although I could do more, I'm constantly letting these companies know, the other day I wrote Amazon for a clearly wrong set of reviews for a radar detector that isn't even out yet, they wrote me back and 2 days later the error was changed. I wrote Google about an error on their maps for around here, a few days later it was fixed...

I say let LMC know, demand they send you the right part, leave your backing plates the way GM built them, and in the process you'll probably be helping the next guy (one of us on here maybe) who needs those same cables !
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Coley

First....lets answer your opening question:
Yes.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I just measured my backing plates and mine have 11/16" holes. My truck is all original, and when I took the factory cables out they still fit nice and snug.
Trevor-
Thanks man, this helps a lot! (Now I know that it's the cables that are wrong, and not my backing plates.)

Yeah, not real thrilled about the fit of these LMC cables. It's sad because the quality of the rest of the cable actually look quite good, but how could they mess up on such a simple yet important detail???

Who knows what happened. Perhaps they switched suppliers and there was a screw up on that end. I do know the sticker on the bag said, "Made in Taiwan" and that just sucks, but then again, what isn't "made in elsewhere-ville" these days?

After doing some research here on the site, I've ordered different cables from Rock Auto. They are the same part number that both NAPA and O Rieley's say are supposed to fit my truck (#92505) so I guess we will see. Either way, LMC WILL get my message when I call them for a refund.

Thanks again...
Old 06-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #6
custom10nut

Since the founder passed away, the quality of products has declined. I've ordered quite a few things from them over the years, and I've noticed this. This has also been on my mind when I'm looking for parts. The last things that I ordered were all the plastic knock nobs and pulls for my dash and steering column. When I received them most either didn't fit or had to be modified ro work. In addition, the quality of the plastics and paint are bad.
I fix these type problems by going to large swap meets and the Auto Fair with a shopping list. This way I can see the merchandise before I buy and can talk with the vendors too. Through the mail? GMC Paul's can't be beat. My .02
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
quick60

I tried to order the same cables from LMC and ran into the same fitment problems for my 67 GMC Dana 60. I figured my problem was the Dana 60 cause when I told everyone that all I heard was crickets chirping followed by you sure it's not a 12 bolt?

Finally found a guy in Cali that has truck junk yard that send me original cables in much better shape than my ex farm truck covered in mud for 40 years cables.
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
jocko

Can't really tell from your pic, but does the whole cable flange just go thru the 11/16 hole with no interference? I've had issues with rear brake cables fitting no matter who I bought them from. Pretty sure mine were inline tube. Make certain you have the actual part number you ordered, not just "a" rear cable. If the whole thing doesn't slip right on thru, try inserting from the shoe side and then installing a C-clip in the circumference groove on the back side (inside/innermost face that is visible with the drum on). The design on the aftermarket stuff changes often, but sometimes it does work. Anyway, this is what I had to do with some of the ones I've seen. If, on the other hand, the whole cable end just slides right thru the hole (and I think that is what you're saying), I'd return it and order another set somewhere else. Yes, very frustrating.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Yes.

Coley

And because it's June 6 we need a flag!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #10
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Can't really tell from your pic, but does the whole cable flange just go thru the 11/16 hole with no interference? I've had issues with rear brake cables fitting no matter who I bought them from. Pretty sure mine were inline tube. Make certain you have the actual part number you ordered, not just "a" rear cable. If the whole thing doesn't slip right on thru, try inserting from the shoe side and then installing a C-clip in the circumference groove on the back side (inside/innermost face that is visible with the drum on). The design on the aftermarket stuff changes often, but sometimes it does work. Anyway, this is what I had to do with some of the ones I've seen. If, on the other hand, the whole cable end just slides right thru the hole (and I think that is what you're saying), I'd return it and order another set somewhere else. Yes, very frustrating.
No, this cable didn't slip all the way through, but there was no way the "prongs" were going to hold it in there, which is wrong. The cable is WAY too "thin" and the prongs are way too short. Once the Rock-Auto cables show up (assuming they fit) LMC WILL be getting these cables back with a not so nice "love note" stating how displeased I am with the fact that I had to pay to have these shipped to (and probably back from) my house for the return. Moral of the story for LMC, if you're going to sell something you CLAIM to fit, MAKE SURE IT FITS!
Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #11
In The Ten Ring

I lost interest in ordering anything from LMC when the door handles I bought there developed black spots after sitting in a garage for 10 years. Those had only been exposed to UV light a couple of days. The tailgate trunnions they sold me did not fit at all, I had to put my originals back in.

The taillight assemblies I got from LMC do work and look great though but I have stayed away from them since 2003.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #12
Shady Rascal

LMC isn't as bad as they used to be, but you got to know, don't buy mechanical hard parts from them. Sure, buy your lights and emblems and chrome doodads from them. But, park brake cables ?

I just went to Rockauto and cataloged a 1970 Chevy C10 truck. Rockauto shows 22 different varieties of park brake cable for that truck alone.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:20 AM   #13
Grumpy old man

These are common problems when specialty parts suppliers grow and hire "parts pullers" over a more knowledgeable employee who knows their products and could have corrected the wrong pulled part before it left the building , these issues also occur when buying online with no human interaction .

For the guys who are "new" to these trucks or really any build

Order the companies catalog or at least download it .most are free and have more info than the basic online picture with a price ,there are a few catalogs that have diagrams , (lmc) which can show how the part is installed and supporting info just not listed online .

Use your phone and talk to the parts rep ,you may find your ordering issues disappear when you talk to George or Chris or whoever is on the other end , kill them with kindness over the phone ,ask questions and turn something as simple as ordering a part into a positive experience for both you and the guy stuck answering the phone , this works so much better and if you do have a problem when it arrives at your place you can call back and talk to "George or Chris " to rectify the issue .

You can't ask the computer questions or ask for a discount on shipping but " George or Chris " just may help you out ! I always ask for discounts sometimes you get them or free shipping ! Hey , it's your time and money use it wisely !

This is why I'll buy from some of the smaller suppliers like manestruckparts.com I've built some personal repor, they know I build 67's and if something different is ordered they acctually call me to verify before shipping , Try getting that service from the mega suppliers !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-07-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #14
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Yes.

Coley

I agree.
This isn't the first lmc e brake cable doest fit thread.
Or lmc anything for that matter.
There is good and bad parts from just about anywhere but lmc seems too be at the top of the list.

I got my cables from rockauto they fit and work great and like half the price than the local parts houses.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
Eddie H.

I'm not a big fan of LMC. Although they have a nice catalog for reference purposes, it has been my experience that the quality and fitment of their parts leave a lot to be desired. I always try to find what I need somewhere else first and use them as a last resort.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
rotten67

What do you expect for 19.95
rotten67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #17
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Like others have said, LMC has a great catalog for reference. That's all I use LMC for.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #18
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
After doing some research here on the site, I've ordered different cables from Rock Auto. They are the same part number that both NAPA and O Rieley's say are supposed to fit my truck (#92505) so I guess we will see.
Hi saxart,
How did it go with the Rock Auto cables? Do they have a different hole size after all? I am needing to order the same cable from somewhere for my 69 truck, so would like to hear the rest of the story.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #19
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Hi saxart,
How did it go with the Rock Auto cables? Do they have a different hole size after all? I am needing to order the same cable from somewhere for my 69 truck, so would like to hear the rest of the story.
DJM-
Yes, the Rock-Auto cables seem to fit much better. Here is a photo I took of the two cables side-by-side. (Rock Auto on the bottom, LMC above) As you can see, there is NO COMPARISON on the fit of these cables.

(Part Number: #92505)
Old 07-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #20
dmjlambert

That is interesting. I took mine apart this evening. The hole on my rear brake is 9/16.
1969 CST/10 with 350 engine, drum brakes all around.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #21
dmjlambert

What is the "proper" way to release those 3 fingers when removing the cable? I had to press them with a screwdriver and turn and twist the cable while trying to press the next finger. It was rather cumbersome.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #22
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
What is the "proper" way to release those 3 fingers when removing the cable? I had to press them with a screwdriver and turn and twist the cable while trying to press the next finger. It was rather cumbersome.
I used a 1/2" copper coupler with a slit in it - slip it over the cable- use a worm drive clamp to get desired diameter- push through.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:07 AM   #23
prodjay10

My pops ordered a bunch of parts for his customer that weren't in the catalog by calling In. They sent the wrong parts. When he told them there was an issue, they responded by saying it was his fault and that they had proof because the conversation had been recorded. He asked to hear the recording, and guess what...

I haven't personally had issues with them, but I have with grumpies. I bought some stuff years back. As the lady helping me is giving me the parts, she noticed some were blemished. The chrome on a few pieces is not perfect. Not a big deal to me since the parts were nicer looking than the truck they were going in. I took them anyway and still paid full price. I did have an issue installing an engine wire harness. I call same day I purchased and the same person tells me too bad so sad. I call the manufacturer, and they try to walk me thru installation. They realized the part was incorrectly made for the truck. Wrong gauge wires, others too short, other had wrong terminals... They tell me to return it even though I let them know grumpies wouldn't help. I drive back to the store, the same lady tells me the same thing as when I called in. Too bad so sad even though I let her know she sold me the wrong part. I tell her call the manufacturers number, ask for so and so, give them this repair number. 10 min later she takes the harness back. I get another, maybe the same but fixed, in the mail. That was the last time I ordered from them. They lost 2 customers that day.

Last edited by prodjay10; 07-11-2016 at 04:15 AM.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #24
dmjlambert

Are you talking about Grumpy's Truck Parts?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #25
prodjay10

Quote:
Are you talking about Grumpy's Truck Parts?
That's the one. They used to have a store front in Phoenix.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote