The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
BLT gmc

Metal fillings in oil and cam will not come out

The engine was hot tanked by the engine rebuilder. All the machine work was done by the same shop. The block was line bored because of a past thrust bearing failure. Block was planed and bored. Cam bearings installed. All oil passages cleaned and plugged, soft plugs installed. To help with time I had them assemble the long block except for the intake. Yes I was knee deep in it after work until it got dark. Bad news is I can not get the cam out. It moved ~2 inches forward and that is it. Turn all you want, pull, push. Will not come out does not seem to want to go back in. Face of the #7 and #8 cylinder tappet look rough/pitted. Other tappets look great. I believe the bearing has spun in the block and is welded to the cam. I will have to borrow my friends scope to get a closer look. I am pretty sure the engine builder is going to hang me out to dry. Any good ideas how to get cam out? My other thread was closed. Bruce
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
BLT gmc

Re: Metal fillings in oil and cam will not come out

I was so proud to keep this truck numbers matching and now I believe the block it was born with may have a spun cam bearing. I am starting to have a bad feeling/nightmare like. I am frustrated.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT gmc View Post
The engine was hot tanked by the engine rebuilder. All the machine work was done by the same shop. The block was line bored because of a past thrust bearing failure. Block was planed and bored. Cam bearings installed. All oil passages cleaned and plugged, soft plugs installed. To help with time I had them assemble the long block except for the intake. Yes I was knee deep in it after work until it got dark. Bad news is I can not get the cam out. It moved ~2 inches forward and that is it. Turn all you want, pull, push. Will not come out does not seem to want to go back in. Face of the #7 and #8 cylinder tappet look rough/pitted. Other tappets look great. I believe the bearing has spun in the block and is welded to the cam. I will have to borrow my friends scope to get a closer look. I am pretty sure the engine builder is going to hang me out to dry. Any good ideas how to get cam out? My other thread was closed. Bruce
I had a problem with a stuck cam when I was doing a rebuild after a flawed crank broke on me at 4000 miles. I welded a peice of pipe to a round plate I cut out and drilled some holes and bolted it to the end of the cam and had to pull real hard to get it out. Turns out the cam bearings had shavings in them and basically had it stuck in there. Only advice I can give you is to pull on it real hard. Good luck!
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
dfrank

If you really want to keep it numbers matching the block should be able to be machined and be fixed. Note I said "should" although if it is junk then there is no hope. If I where you I would try to find a block that was made the same year as the truck and I don't think anybody will be able to tell. Except for me of course.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #5
jimcosenza

Get a bolt that threads into the cam nose and hook a slide hammer to it. If the engine is in the truck you'll prob have to take off the grille and remove the rad. I'd definitely try to see what was causing the hangup first(although iirc ya can't see the cam very well from the lifter valley. I'm used to Pontiacs where it's wide open.).
jimcosenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
cdowns

did you remove the gas pump and rod?
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
IIGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
did you remove the gas pump and rod?
yup...this
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
King Cary

I was thinking the same thing.. Fuel pump rod..
King Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
BLT gmc

Yep fuel pump rod. Cam is rounded off. Time for the clean up because of a bad cam. I will be able to save the block. Thank you for your help. Bruce
Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT gmc View Post
Yep fuel pump rod. Cam is rounded off. Time for the clean up because of a bad cam. I will be able to save the block. Thank you for your help. Bruce
Good! Now make sure you break in this next cam properly!