The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
ZZ4Blazer

Powersteering and brake question.

I have a 2wd 70 short bed, manual steering, manual brakes. I plan on baggin the truck, and making it my non winter daily driver.

I've searched aorund the forum, but still have some questions.

I planned on using a power steering box from a 73-87 c10. I also wanna replace all the steering linkage & ball joints, since its probably still all original.

I also have a 2wd 81 C10. I believe that all the parts are interchangeable.

Will all the steering parts from my 81 work for my 70? Same with the balljoints? I plan on adding a set of drop spindles for the 73-87 to my 70 while Im doing this. Dropping it, but will aslo be using the componets from my 81 to add front discs to it.

Im just using my 81 truck as a reference, will be purchasing all new parts from the local parts store/summit racing.

So basically to add power steering/power disc brakes, Im gonna use a 73-87 C10 power steering box, 81 steering linkage, balljoints, belltech drop sprindles for 73-87 truck, and the brake set up for an 81(bearings, discs, calipers, etc)

Will this work, or am I missign something? I know I'll need a power booster/master and prop vavle, but that can wait.
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
purple gas

I'm no expert, but hey no one else piped up & I've had a lot of coffee tonight! I would think your spindles are going to be a determining factor in a lot of your questions like ball joints, tie rods, bearings & rotors. Those specs should be available from the vendor. IMOP
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:49 AM   #3
ZZ4Blazer

I beleive the belltech spindles i need are the 3200. Those are said to fit 73-87 w/ 1" brake rotors. Which I beleive that my 81 has. So I don't see any reason the rest of it shoudln't fit.

Im told the steering boxes will interchange, so I don't see why it wont' work. I just hate being in the middle of something, and something coming up because I jsut assumed, and didn't do enough research.
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The only thing to watch for when using the later model components is they are metric bolts and threads instead of SAE. I can't remeber the exact year, but I belive 80 was the last year for all SAE. My 82 is metric, but it would work as your thinking. Probably the easiest way is to take the whole front cradle off the newer truck and bolt onto yours. Then go and update your spindles and what not.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Your plan is right on target.

Like you must already know, the later model ball joints will fit into the early control arms. That allows you to use the 73-87 stuff.

Only issue will be the brake hoses. The 73 and up style of brake hoses are very long and mount through the frame in the front. If you decide to use them, you'll need to drill some holes into the frame and bend up some new hardlines, or use a good set of used newer model hardlines.