The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
71ChevySS(straight6)

Anyone ever put a 427 in their 67-72? Pics!

Hi guys, haven't posted in a while.

I'm getting so fed up with this 250... I've dumped way too much money into it and had never-ending issues, only to have it now start dieseling and backfiring through the carb, as well as my headers not sealing properly against the head even with the $50 Remflex gasket sandwiched in between. Any advice there with any of that?

So, in a fit of frustration, I hopped on Craigslist to see if there was anything available for relatively cheap that I could throw in my truck... And I found a completely stock, looks like fairly recently gone through (it's painted lime green with black valve covers) 427 - for $400. Everything is there but the intake manifold and headers, he's even got a brand-new Edelbrock carb sitting there with it. Ran when pulled, no smoke, no knock. Casting # is 3999294, according to websites it's a tall deck, 4-bolt main. So... should I jump on it?

I want to know:
- would it take custom engine mounts?
- what headers would fit?
- can I just pick up a cheap 454 intake manifold and throw it on top?
- would the New Process NP435 that's in my truck right now bolt up to it and hold the power it's making?

Thanks in advance!

Rat rod build: 1949 Crosley Station Wagon body on 1993 Dodge D350 chassis, Cadillac 500 powerplant.
71ChevySS(straight6) is offline   Reply With Quote