The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Steve78LT

Son's first project

For his 14th birthday, my son asked if I'd drive him around to knock on people's doors and ask is they'd sell him a C-10. I asked if he's seen a truck somewhere, and he said yes. He went ans grabbed his laptop, went to Google Earth, flew over to the next town, zoomed in on a house and then went to Street View, moved down the street, turned sideways and said "there - see that taillight in the woods behind his house? That's a second gen C-10 just sitting there. I bet he'd sell it to me".

Well we didn't end up knocking on the door of that guy, but we did end up buying a '72, running and driving but all blown apart, with about $1,500 of new catalog parts most in the boxes still, for $2,200 of his own personal life's savings. It came as a 1/2 ton fleetside with a straight six and automatic transmission. This'll be his daily driver for High School - he's got a learner's permit now, and a driver's license hopefully soon.

So far he's stripped off everything but the cab and sandblasted/degreased/painted the frame. The interior is out. The motor is in the dump and a V-8 is going in. Added a brake booster, bent all new lines, new hoses, calipers, rotors, pads, drums and shoes. New body mounts and shocks. Sooooo much more to do though...

Me personally, I'm on my third Camaro ('74,'79, '78), my second streetrod ('36 Ford, '40 Ford) and my second Hemi daily driver ('05 Magnum, '13 300C). I know a fair bit about cars, but nothing about these trucks, so I hope I can get some friendly advice here.
Steve78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Son's first project

Welcome
My Daddy helped me drag my 63 Impala home and work on it.
I still got it after all these years.
I like your story sounds a lot like my high school project with my Daddy.
I wish I would have taken more polaroid pics of my projects.
I am Subbed.
Do you have pics you can post?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Steve78LT

Sure do:

Here's day 1 - everything loaded and ready to haul home. He's 14 in this photo, and just spent all his money on that little gem. He's watched a million Overhaulin' episodes, and knows that he can build this thing in a week. Heh....

Here it is about 1-1/2 years later. Straight six coming out. His first engine pull.

Here it is as of last week. Sadly the motor has to come out, because we moved it forward to the V8 mount holes and now the shifter rod is too long and the driveshaft is too short.
Steve78LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Thanks for the Pics. That brings back good memories for me.
That is when I got my first ride at 14 years old.
Seems like Yester----A day or 2 ago.
I think the 6 cyl. stands work good to mount the V8 a keep every thing as it needs to be as far as linkage and driveshaft stuff.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
Aldinger

You seem like a pretty good dad IMO. My oldest is only 5 at this point but I hope to be doing the same in 10 years or so.
Aldinger is offline   Reply With Quote