The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Is coasting in neutral bad for an auto transmission?

My dad used to do this every so often. When we'd come back across the mountain from visiting my grandfather, dad would sometimes shift the automatic transmission into "neutral" and drift with the engine running all the way back home (which was something like two miles).

Sometimes the Pontiac would make it but sometimes a slow poke would get into the way. When that happened dad would drop the shift lever back into "drive" and continue home.

I just want to mention, he wasn't using the transmission to restart the car.

So is coasting in "neutral" off a hill then dropping back into "drive" bad for an auto transmission?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: Is coasting in neutral bad for an auto transmission?

I am not sure why ,,but I was told by a older guy at work that it is harder on a automatic Transmission to take it out of gear at a stop light and then put it back in when the light turns green ,,rather than just leave it in gear .. been years when I heard this ,glad you brought it up ,,maybe we both will get our answer..
Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
Troy Sr

I wouldn't think so unless you shut off the engine which would stop fluid pumping through the transmission. That's why you shouldn't tow a vehicle with an automatic very far with the drive wheels on the ground. I believe there are a few cars out there with fluid pumps on the output end of the transmission which would be ok.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Just don't do like my cousin did, trying to save gas and went to put it in neutral at 50mph and went one too far into reverse. Made lots of noise but I guess he got it back down before it damaged anything,
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If it is running, no. AFAIK, the last transmission with a rear pump was the Powerglide, and I think the rear pump was deleted in about '68.

Putting an automatic transmission in neutral at a light and then dropping it into gear will hurt the trans about as much as putting it in Drive when you go to drive away in the morning, i.e., not at all...unless you are into "neutral dumps".

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
jeffahart

You can get a ticket for coasting downhill in neutral. It you're a commercial driver and you get into a wreck and they find you were in neutral, I think you would be in a bit of a jam.

j
Old 07-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Yikes. Note to self "shift back into drive upon collision."
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

That's just for heavy trucks. Makes sense since brakes alone don't stop a freewheeling truck so well. That's why truckers are told to descend in lower gear, stop check brakes before descending, and most run engine brakes. Rolling free down a hill in a heavy truck is dumb truckin'. Really no good reason to unless you have a mechanical failure and need to drift off the road to a safe place.

Jack Benny didn't have an automatic in his car, but that cheap skate would coast his car (rather Rochester did) down hills to save on gas (on his tv show).

Another celebrity coasting downhill... and not supposed to hit the brakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uO1gXmMkKY

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
GOPAPA

Jack Benny says ::Put the automatic transmission into ‘Neutral’ when you’re stationary…

When stopped at traffic lights, if your vehicle has an automatic transmission, putting it into ‘Neutral’ will take the pressure off it until the traffic lights turn green, when you can put it back into ‘Drive’. When the automatic transmission is in ‘Drive’, it’s still driving the wheels even if you have your foot on the brake to keep the vehicle stationary at traffic lights, for example. If you were to take your foot off the brake, the vehicle would drive forward under power without you even pushing the accelerator since the engine is running at idle speed and is therefore driving the automatic transmission.

after thinking a bit,, maybe Jack Benny did not say this.. kiddin ya Tim
Old 07-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

When I sit in traffic and it's hot I put it in park. Putting in neutral does the same thing, allows the idle to come up due to taking load off trans which is better for the vehicle than sitting in gear. It will stay cooler and that is good.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Late model cars/trucks you gain nothing by taking it out of gear at a stop. The trans line pressure is allowed to drop and the converter slips until you step on it.

Your Accord should be fine, just avoid manual downshifting too much. That carrier bearing won't like it.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
jjzepplin

Sitting in gear and not moving with an automatic is like Sitting in 1st gear with the clutch partially engaged with a manual trans. I always wait til I am at the stop light and then go into neutral. The engine rpms go up a bit and my AC fans move a little faster and 1st gear is not slowly burning clutches. You got to watch that light though cuz slamming into gear and accelerating can be catastrophic.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #13
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's just for heavy trucks. Makes sense since brakes alone don't stop a freewheeling truck so well. That's why truckers are told to descend in lower gear, stop check brakes before descending, and most run engine brakes. Rolling free down a hill in a heavy truck is dumb truckin'. Really no good reason to unless you have a mechanical failure and need to drift off the road to a safe place.

Jack Benny didn't have an automatic in his car, but that cheap skate would coast his car (rather Rochester did) down hills to save on gas (on his tv show).

Another celebrity coasting downhill... and not supposed to hit the brakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uO1gXmMkKY
The first ticket I got as a kid on my first vehicle, a motorcycle, was for "coasting out of gear" down Strawberry Canyon in Berkeley, California.
The judge just laughed as I recall. -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
WorkinLonghorn

If you are going 60 down a hill in neutral and shift into drive, I'm sure that there will be wear and heat created. Nothing to worry too much about but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis but the coasting shouldn't hurt anything. -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

"Georgia Overdrive"

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #16
Hubscrub
Cruzin

My dad was an auto tech for 40+ years and he did it alot we had a big hill going into town we could coast couple miles to the red light to turn on the highway. He would say this car has some good bearings lol so saying he wouldn't have done it if it would hurt it for sure. I did the other day going down Monteagle mountain headed to Chattanooga we had some good bearings haha!

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #17
GOPAPA

Would it be safe to say then guys and gals ,, ,,, ::::::: If you are towing a automatic transmission car or truck ,,,and all the wheels are on the ground ,, BE SURE AND LEAVE THE MOTOR RUNNING ,, ha ha ..
Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Would it be safe to say then guys and gals ,, ,,, ::::::: If you are towing a automatic transmission car or truck ,,,and all the wheels are on the ground ,, BE SURE AND LEAVE THE MOTOR RUNNING ,, ha ha ..

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #19
kingsolver72
10/30/19

My grandpa had a Rolls Kanardly. I don’t know if it was an automatic but it would roll down one hill and kanardly make it up the next.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I had one like that but it wasn't a Rolls!

Tim

Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #21
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I prefer to have power to the wheels at all times. I like acceleration down hill too.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

It is definitely bad to coast in neutral if when going back into gear you move the shifter the wrong way....................... OUCHEEEeeee!!!

Tim