The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #451
paintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: washington NJ
Posts: 689
Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

[QUOTE=dillonv2008;8172896]what thickness did you use for your plate on floorpan where column and brake pedal are at. and also for your brake assemebly that you mounted to the frame what thickness did you use. it almost looks like 3/16 for frame and 1/8 for floor pan??[/QUOTE

I had originally bought one of those pre made floor pans for a 46 from sheet metal direct, (i think) but it was a piece of $%&t just like all repo parts. So if I remember correctly I used 1/8th for the top of the floor pan. 1/16th felt way to flimsy. But it would have work well with beads rolled into it. But all I had was caveman tools, so 1/8" is was. Can't really remember because that was almost 6 years ago.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #452
dillonv2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sacramento,ca
Posts: 75
Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

[quote=paintman;8173252]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonv2008 View Post
what thickness did you use for your plate on floorpan where column and brake pedal are at. and also for your brake assemebly that you mounted to the frame what thickness did you use. it almost looks like 3/16 for frame and 1/8 for floor pan??[/QUOTE

I had originally bought one of those pre made floor pans for a 46 from sheet metal direct, (i think) but it was a piece of $%&t just like all repo parts. So if I remember correctly I used 1/8th for the top of the floor pan. 1/16th felt way to flimsy. But it would have work well with beads rolled into it. But all I had was caveman tools, so 1/8" is was. Can't really remember because that was almost 6 years ago.

gotcha gotcha looks awesome been studying the floor and seat and brake to make my own haha
dillonv2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #453
LT7A
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 675
Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Nice work Paintman! I like how as time went on you spoke less about your perceived limitations and were more matter of fact about what needed to be done and just did it! You can approach this next one with the confidence of experience now. The truck is beautiful. Did you decide about wheels and tires? Could just paint the ones you have to match each other and call it good for the time being. I think it'd be great if you just continued on in this same thread with the work you're going to do on that Dodge. If not, put it in alternate tinkerings and let us know the link. Since you're going to leave the patina on that one, do you think you might do more of a refurbishment than a full-on custom this next time? Thanks for sharing.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #454
paintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: washington NJ
Posts: 689
Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Did you decide about wheels and tires? Could just paint the ones you have to match each other and call it good for the time being. I think it'd be great if you just continued on in this same thread with the work you're going to do on that Dodge. If not, put it in alternate tinkerings and let us know the link. Since you're going to leave the patina on that one, do you think you might do more of a refurbishment than a full-on custom this next time? Thanks for sharing.
Funny you should ask! First Wheel Vintiques jerked me around for about 6 weeks. Then I finally got my wheels back from powder coat. Fronts are 15x6 Rears are 15x7. Going to go with wide whites when i finally get off my ass and feel like handing over $1,000!
Just your standard smoothies painted satin black


As far as the Dodge since I couldn't find a decent Mopar forum, I decided to put the build on this forum Alternate Tinkerings until further notice.
Follow the bouncing ball and enjoy.............................
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...50#post8275250
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #455
joedoh
Senior Member
 
joedoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Doodah Kansas
Posts: 4,319
Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

I know this doesnt help now, but jegs stocks the smoothies and ships the same day. did you order a special offset?
__________________
the mass of men live lives of quiet desperation

Project: WAMEGO
my LU3 4.3 4L60E S10 49 GMC 150
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=765957


if there is a problem, I can have it.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #456
paintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: washington NJ
Posts: 689
Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I know this doesnt help now, but jegs stocks the smoothies and ships the same day. did you order a special offset?
Hey Joe! Yes the rears I had custom made with a 4 3/4 offset to tuck the wheels in a little further. That was the easy part. When I went and ordered the fronts (standard size), via their website it took 4 weeks before someone called and confirmed the order. Then, he never forwarded the order to the next in command so apparently my order just sat on his desk. So after a phone call, and a dose of the Paintman's attidude, I had them in 3 days. I knew I could have called Jegs but I figured they would just call Vintiques and have them sent.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #457
docrock
Registered User
 
docrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 402
Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Name:  20180530_191129.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  38.4 KB

I did the same thing. But, I was at Goodguys and performance was having a sale on US Wheels Smoothies. 50 each. I got 15x6 and 15x7 painted them. Got a guy to mount my L78-15 for 40 out the door. Granted they are 30 year old tires but they hold air and for now they are great for cruising. I did bite the bullet and get the trim rings and caps. Those are not cheap
__________________
1954 GMC on 93 Silverado chassis http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408344

1942 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429494

R.I.P. TOMSPROJECTS 68 FOUR DOOR
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com