The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Working....64 SS

I've had a noise ever sense we bought the car that I couldn't figure out until this past week. The 64 Impala is a x frame car which for those of you who where like me had no idea what that meant until you look under it.
The frame is in a x configuration which in turns means you have to rethink everything from a normal frame rail design!

Any way I found the problem. The 2 piece drive shaft carrier bearing had come a part. Yes a 2 piece just like our trucks! To make it even worse it's enclosed by the frame so you can't see it. It kept getting louder and louder every time I drove it. So I finally figured it out and pulled it out rebuilt it and now I'm waiting on the rear transmission mount to reinstall every thing.
Somethings never change.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Working....64 SS

Powerglide?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

That brought back memories of when I has my 63 409 ,,I seen the x frame while it was on the grease rack at the service station I used to go to.. nice photo for all to see Andy ,,them tail pipes sure look neat all bent around the x shape and tucked away ,, also good job on finding the problem being hidden and all..

I have only one photo I hope you don't mind me sharing
with ya of the 63 I owned when taking a picture of he house my brother was building ,, full chromes with baby moons was the thing back then.. shoot ! dont know how by this way of answering you.. only know how by answering the first page of this posting..
Old 10-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Working....64 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Powerglide?
Yes it's a power glide. All # matching too!

It has a 350 in it but I got the 283 with it and the wheels & tires.

That brought back memories of when I has my 63 409 ,,I seen the x frame while it was on the grease rack at the service station I used to go to.. nice photo for all to see Andy ,,them tail pipes sure look neat all bent around the x shape and tucked away ,, also good job on finding the problem being hidden and all..

Quote:
I have only one photo I hope you don't mind me sharing
with ya of the 63 I owned when taking a picture of he house my brother was building ,, full chromes with baby moons was the thing back then.. shoot ! dont know how by this way of answering you.. only know how by answering the first page of this posting..
Don't mind a bit if you post a picture.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 10-09-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Working....64 SS

Finished up the drive shaft and rear trans mount today before work. Drove it in to work tonight and man what a nice ride. No noise at all nice and smooth.
New transmission seal, new mount and u joints along with carrier bearing.
Hopefully one day this week I'll get the underside pressure washed good.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

I got on the AC/heater wiring today. I figured it out finally with the correct wiring schematic. The PO had cut the black/orange wire from the radio connection and had it in a mess of wires taped up. I got full speed on the fan now. I can start looking into having the AC vacuumed and charged up.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
aussiejohn

Andy,

I have a '64 Caddy with pretty much the same frame by the look of it. It must have been the way to go across the GM range in the 60's, except for the Corvette. I have two '74 Corvettes, a coupe and a convertible with both tops. Plus of course, a '67 GMC stepside. Nice car you have, by the way.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
aussiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn View Post
Andy,

I have a '64 Caddy with pretty much the same frame by the look of it. It must have been the way to go across the GM range in the 60's, except for the Corvette. I have two '74 Corvettes, a coupe and a convertible with both tops. Plus of course, a '67 GMC stepside. Nice car you have, by the way.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Thanks man, don't have any corvettes anymore. Had three total though, 74 Red big block 4 speed car convertible also with both tops. 78 pace car bought out of the show room in Charlotte NC in 1978 new! Last one was 82 collector's edition.
I.ve had the red truck over 30 years so that say's something for the vett's in my opinion!

Post up some pictures of the bunch.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Well a quick job has turned into a all out rebuild of the AC lines on the 64 SS. I have them all made but one. It will be done tomorrow and I have the drier and high pressure switch ordered also. The one line goes from compressor to condensor and it's a different size on each end! So I had to take the hose back and have them add another fitting which will all be inside the fender and want be seen.
I found a neat little fitting that allows me to install it on the system to cut the compressor off if it builds to much pressure.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1962&ppt=C0328

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Well the kit didn't work so back to my backup. Drill and tap new drier and install it. Oh well. I got all the lines done and back together except for the drier line. Going to see if I can get the drier drilled and tapped at work by my cousin who is in the machine shop. I hide the two fender lines behind it this time to clean it up some.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #11
Custom 68

That kit was a neat concept. It wouldn't work because it was for R12 and the fittings are different or what? I was gonna add one to mine if it all would fit.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
That kit was a neat concept. It wouldn't work because it was for R12 and the fittings are different or what? I was gonna add one to mine if it all would fit.

If I had seen the kit before I had the lines made up it would have worked. I should have put the R-12 fittings on the hoses instead of the 134 A fittings.

I had the 134 A fittings installed on the hoses when made. The switch wouldn't work. The R-12 fitting is a screw fitting where the 134 A isn't.

So to fix it I had the new drier drilled and tapped for the switch. Had it vacuumed & charged today. It's working great.
I hid the lines behind the inner fender and the drier is up in the front of the fender behind the battery.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Installed new ignition switch, both doors and trunk locks. 1 key fits all now and all of them work properly.
New side glass channels ordered for the doors. New passenger side mirror installed.
Now what to do on radio install.
Think I'm going to try it my self, got 2 quots yesterday both where over $500.00 one was almost $900.00 and that was nothing fancy just a radio 2 speakers in back and one up front where the one factory one is.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Here is a shot of the door now. I figured out what is wrong with the window also. Part of the runner is missing.
2nd picture is mine now, 3rd picture is what I just ordered for it both sides.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Working....64 SS

While I had the window out I figured I go a head and add the tar paper to the chrome trim and fix that also.

I used my good old redneck engineering and got it tight as I could also.
Shouldn't have no trouble out of it once reinstalled.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #16
see ten
WTB this ad

When I replaced the carrier bearing on my 59 I had the back half of the driveshaft converted to a splined unit.

granted... mine is bagged. But it still isn't a bad idea for a stock height car. Keeps all the up and down movement of the car while driving from putting so much pressure on the carrier bearing.

Looks good man!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thanks.

I have gotten some more done to it as of late. Been doing a little each night since I only have 1 day a week off for the month.

I started on the stereo install. and got some other small stuff took care of.
Got the tag light working and installed the glove box after installing the 2 2 way speakers over top of it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

I ordered some new bling for it also. Rear chrome pieces to get that extra pop!
The old ones needed repainting any way + the rear trunk piece was starting to rust and bubble up the chrome.
It's all in the little details!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

I got part of the new bright work today and installed it after work. Waiting on one more piece for the trunk.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #20
Advanced Design

Looking good Andy. The details will make a difference. How is your Dad and the '56?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Looking good Andy. The details will make a difference. How is your Dad and the '56?
Good, we are planning to swap vehicles sometime before Christmas. He has got tired of the 56 already.
needs a few thing done to it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Ok the stereo is in and the package tray is done.
I took 1/4" plywood cut for the 6x9 speakers and covered it with cheap carpet then dyed it to match the interior.
Have hands free calling and all the music I can stand on usb, phone and CD's.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #23
Andy4639
Old member

Got the chrome trim around the passenger door today and did some fine tuning adjustments on both doors!
You have to set the vent window first then the front of the window to get the rear of it to work right.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #24
notsolo

Great car Andy, love the color, makes me want another. I also had a 64 2dr hardtop, and I tried to save a 64 SS Convertible. Now I cringe at the car and parts I had to throw away 35 yrs ago. Your Dad may not want to give your car back, I found mine was 1 of the most comfortable rides I ever had.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Great car Andy, love the color, makes me want another. I also had a 64 2dr hardtop, and I tried to save a 64 SS Convertible. Now I cringe at the car and parts I had to throw away 35 yrs ago. Your Dad may not want to give your car back, I found mine was 1 of the most comfortable rides I ever had.
The 64 drives great after the power steering swap.
Dad and I swap that's fine. The 56 is more me it has a 96 LT-1 with 4l60 over drive. It more of a road car than the Impala to me.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club