The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
LH Lead-Foot

White cab over ?, how to attach chrome?

Just an old school thought about painting the cab's top white, and putting an aftermarket aluminum / stainless steel trim strip on back of cab. I have never seen the OEM attachment method for the classic C10 look. For years at the GM dealer, a walk thru the body shop had many naked cars with factory welded taps or nail-heads as my son called them. Then plastic clips attached to them, holding the trim in place.
Does anyone have an experience with the 3 piece set of bright cab back trim, aftermarket or OEM?
I have called LMC in the past regarding a simple technical question, only to find out the had no clue. With 3M adhesive plastic clips would work, I guess. I don't have a solid answer that makes me feel comfortable. An experienced painter/body tech or anyone who has restored a 67-72 C10, with the white top over color body would know what is best. What works, what doesn't, or should I paint the top the same color as the body. What have you done with the transition around the cab's backside using metal trim?
I am on the fence with this idea as this build is in the planning stage. I guess no one wants to see the trim come loose and reach for glue or epoxy.
Thought's?
LH Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: White cab over ?, how to attach chrome?

You can weld the studs on with a stud gun (takes a special fitting) or you can buy screw studs that simply screw into the cab. Mar-K is the best source for trim - USA quality.

I have the measurements for all of the trim stud locations if you need them.
Attached Images

B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
LH Lead-Foot

Thanks B.W. I had a spot-weld nail gun like that one, except I traded back to SnapOn after my 1/2" torque wrench came back for it's 7th re-calibration. They told me they no longer made parts for it, so the fix was to buy a new one. Isn't that always the case!

Also, thanks for the tip with the trim supplier. Today, If you want it, someone makes it.

Any other tips or suggestions welcome. I may lose the white top idea, but still like the look. Just a thought. I figured the used "Tee" head welded trim tabs, but have seen one on this truck.

Last edited by LH Lead-Foot; 02-22-2018 at 12:44 PM.
LH Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
B. W.

I think I'm going white top too, my truck is solid red with no trim. Anyway, keep us posted.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote