The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
Pinchecharlie

rust encapsulator? myth, fantasy, reality?

iam about to start painting my cab. I have a realitivly straight cab but its has bad paint job and worse it has the tail tale signs of rust beneath the surfice and worse in cracks between panel attachment areas. well...i had hoped to just scuff the old and seal and start over with paint. but... cant paint over rust. i really dont want to blast it because i know ill find a bunch of problems and i only want a reasonable job not a show finish. i know its a long shot but do any of you body shop guys have a magic product that i can spray over the rust to keep it from bleeding through? If the paint held up for a decade id be ok with that and then i could just say it was a patina in the makes. disclaimer: i know this is not the right way but iam starting to have anxiety about the can o worms in a paint job $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. long shot i know but just wanted to ask. thanks charlie
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: rust encapsulator? myth, fantasy, reality?

if your not gonna fix the rust you might as well just paint over it...youll have patina before you know it..and bubbled up paint....the only way to fix rust is blast to clean metal and repair/replace what it needs ...what year model truck? patch panels are readily available for most all trucks now...them fitting is another story

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Pinchecharlie

Re: rust encapsulator? myth, fantasy, reality?

thanks for the reply. its a 65 c10 swb. after i really started digging in i realized its worse than i thought. so...i guess ill have sand in my buttcrack soon. worried about finding a bunch of filler everywhere...but isnt that the way it is. i have it stripped down now and will start soon. man iam a crap body man! but it will be worth it i guess. me and the truck are about the same age so i know how she feels. how do you guys get one of these hoods bare ?seems like it would be real easy to warp even with a d.a. ? are doors easy to warp too? ive done doors and hoods before successfully but i dunno about these? hmm...paint and body work are a challange huh
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote