The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #26
Kyle@FTP

Re: Anyone here run drag week?

Ya, I kinda dig it! Its different.

I have 100% given up on trying to make it with the c10 for 2015. I dont want to beat on a fresh build that hard before the big shows and with no test time. Looks like the 62 nova in unlimited metal. I dont think we will be a top 5 car but we will have fun trying.
Kyle@FTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #27
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Damn, I was gonna say if your bringing a truck, then your bringing the welder...and I'm just gonna find ya on the road

We're gonna have more problems with the trailer situation than the car. 800hp on spray? No problem. Towing a trailer....uggggh.

PLUS we have the stipulation of me attempting to document the whole thing...which means about 30lbs of camera gear that needs to be on the trailer.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #28
Kyle@FTP

It can be done. But with some huge shows the truck needs to be at in November, December and February. I finally realized I dont want to beat the death out of it then get it show ready. Too much work.

The trailer will be great, dont sweat it. Keep it light, keep it simple and pack over the axle. 800hp at 50 mph. that motor wont even know its back there.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #29
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Lets see some pics of that 62 Deuce.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #30
Kyle@FTP

This thing will be our chariot for 2015. We need to add a gas tank in the back and maybe a little bigger radiator. Its kinda odd but this thing is very comfortable. but I bet that statement changes.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #31
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Very cool! That scoop + cowl hood is pretty intense! lol.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #32
Kyle@FTP

Im trying to talk him into a 2" cowl for drag week. My motors just a lil guy. The car originally had a penella prostock motor in it and it filled the cowl and scoot haha.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #33
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Talked to a bunch of industry pals at the Race and Performance Expo down in St Charles IL this weekend, did some shop talk on the drag week expectations for this year. (warning this entire post will be random banter from that expo and might get long)

We found out the hot setup for rear ends is starting to become the Dana60 again, even with the common love for the 9inch. Because of the availability, and how popular they've been with the big-truck and offroad guys, they are starting to get more high hp streetcar love. I know guys have been running 'em for decades, but some of the new setups are 1k+hp safe and around 1/3 cheaper than the 9. There are also more fab housings available now. An "unusual" driveline company may be helping us out with something in that wheelhouse if we can work it out.

I will admit, number of reps who just couldn't carry a relevant discussion about their products. I'm not expecting you to know everything, but way too many of them were clearly just flipping through their catalogs and reading that out loud (like we can't do that ourselves ).

I also was able to spend a few minutes with my friends from Borowski Race Engines, we shot a little interview and talked about some of the upcoming stuff they'll be bringing out this year. They have a badass El Camino that they drag and road race as a shop demo vehicle. It was crazy fast with the LS 383 it had, and its getting a whipple blown 427 this season.

They'll be selling the nasty drivetrain it had (the above mentioned LS383) if anyone needs a race proven Pro built LS motor. I can probably get someone a very, very nice deal on a very feisty setup.

Only other little piece of Drag Week related rumor was that; due to an overwhelming number of comments and requests from some of the fast-class competitors, the route has tried to keep E85 available as readily as possible. I guess there have been a couple situations with competitors having too many close-calls with random intervals of no E85. Thats not really specific or useful, but what can I say?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #34
Kyle@FTP

Sales reps are just that.... Sales reps haha. Ive been looking for a counter guy for my shop. Its really hard to find someone that has a passion for these old trucks. I want my cake and I want to eat yours too haha.

Good news on DW. I am having a hard time figuring out how to quickly and easily go from q16 track set up to a 91/110 set up for down the road. E85 may be the answer.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #35
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ya we haven't even addressed that yet. Our usual setup is 93 because the Midwest has it everywhere, but I too am concerned at the 91 situation. We're considering just a methanol addition just to crutch it on 91 for the street, then either blending up or running whichever supplier's race gas is around.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #36
urmyboyblue

I just wish they would give dates and tracks already. I need to decide if I am going or not.

As for the wheels- I run 17's up front for brake clearance and 15's in the rear. Works good and looks good too. I run the Billet Specialties Street lights in black. Nice.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:24 AM   #37
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

You won't get dates will early April, thats been the precendent over the years. They usually go for mid-southern stretches of cities, for weather sake (and the most tracks existing there).

Plus you can rule out a few tracks just based on the ability to handle the # of cars....i.e its VERY unlikely Great Lakes would ever see the event (heck idk if they even are NHRA legal anymore).

But ya, I agree knowing for sure helps. Its a pain to get to the starting line if its 20hrs from your shop...and thats BEFORE the event even starts.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:50 AM   #38
moggey01

Lol I plan on drag week 1 day. They may be racing space ships by then..
moggey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #39
Heavymetl

I've participated in several car related events over the years, from Power Tour many times to local events to autocross to drag racing.

Drag Week was probably the most fun of them all, but man it's intense. I don't think I took more than a couple dozen pictures; most of your time and energy is used making the runs, packing up, driving the route, navigating, fixing breakdowns (they WILL happen) and doing it all over again.

I ran an LS1/T56 swap in my 84 Camaro and to increase my chances of finishing, I pulled a trailer with spare parts. Thankfully no major carnage, but needed the toolbox nearly every day. I drove on street tires and swapped the slicks every morning. My best pass of the week was 11.41@122. My car was losing power each day, I kept upping the VE tables (adding more fuel) to compensate, unsure of my problem. When I got home and pulled the tank I discovered my intake fuel hose was deteriorating due to my ignorance...I used hose clamps rather than fuel injection hose clamps. Live and learn!

I'm working on my 1970 C10 now, however it's just a street toy. 5.3, PTE7675 turbo, 4L80E. If I get to sign up for DW2015...I may bring the truck instead and run a string of 11.50's.
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #40
Hollow65

Kyle-ftp where is your shop!?
Old 03-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #41
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow65 View Post
Kyle-ftp where is your shop!?
Fred's Truck Parts 1313 Simpson Way Ste F Escondido CA 92029

Cheating, I just used the link in his sig.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #42
Hollow65

Hmmm.. Never thought of that. I'll have to check it out one of these days. That chevy 2 looks nice. Reminds me of my friend Bob Mendenhall. His was a 582. Wrecked it
Old 04-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #43
urmyboyblue

First track announced- Sept. 13 &14, St. Louis. It will also be the track we run on Friday as well. What are the other 4? Hot Rod is announcing it one track per day this week.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #44
Kyle@FTP

How have I missed the last month of comments here? sorry for dropping the ball on the shop location Hollow.

1st track announced and its only 8 hours further than Tulsa! I just picked up a full porterbuilt accuair build for a customer. I think that may be the daily driver drag week truck this year. Ill drive it from socal, do drag week and drive her home..........its a fun thought!
Old 04-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #45
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmyboyblue View Post
First track announced- Sept. 13 &14, St. Louis.
YES a track thats actually reachable from WI/IL without driving 20hours! I was afraid we were gonna have to start in Vegas or something!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #46
urmyboyblue

Second stop= Indy
Old 04-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #47
Kyle@FTP

Vegas would have been awesome! then bako.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #48
Kyle@FTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmyboyblue View Post
Second stop= Indy
I want to go just to make a pass in Indy. I dont care if it using my chevrolegs.

My buddy with the chevyII doesnt want to take his car now. He doesnt want to beat on his 15K paint job that hard which I can understand. We have a few different options. Im trying like heck to pull this adventure off.

Last edited by Kyle@FTP; 04-09-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #49
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle@FTP View Post
Vegas would have been awesome! then bako.
If you ever get the chance to meet myself and my tuner (driver for dragweek), you'll understand why Vegas is a bad idea. I'd get yelled at for violating pretty much every competition rule, on camera, on day one.

"Car number whatever was disqualified after having 3 ladies-of-the-evening help with suspension adjustments, and agreeing to put a massive TRUMP logo on the car..."

Old 04-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #50
Kyle@FTP

Day 3

Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, Wisconsin.