The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #101
Dave0

Re: Putting Camaro front in 55 second gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker79 View Post
Hey DaveO, I just logged on today and was looking at nothing in particular and ran across your thread. I like what you have done to yours. I have a 56 that I have been playing with and its slow because of money and time but I think we have the best hobby in the world. Keep up the good work!!!
My income is hit and miss, I think the big key is get stuff done that doesn't cost much when you dont have the money. Stripping stuff, rebuild hinges, fitting panels, welding patches, making a list of stuff you do need... Thanks for the kind words!

Couple recent pics....

All of the A/c lines are made, boxed back up along with condenser, dash, heater hoses...

Dave0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #102
Trucker79

I like it! Looks awesome. I am worried mine won't be low enough. But I really don't want it so low that I can't get around. I have 5 to 6 inches figured at the rocker.
Trucker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #103
Dave0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker79 View Post
I like it! Looks awesome. I am worried mine won't be low enough. But I really don't want it so low that I can't get around. I have 5 to 6 inches figured at the rocker.
Mines at 7 1/2, still working on that too
Old 10-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #104
Bobbyh68

DaveO, What LS oil pan are you using? I have the same front end you do and my TRUCK oil pan is hitting the ground when I compress the suspension. I have Dirty Dingo 2300 engine mounts. My engine sits LOW. Had to trim frame for A/C to fit. I have been pricing oil pans and they are pretty pricey, around $250-450. Thinking about Making custom motor mounts and raising engine like yours. Are you using the stock truck pan also?
Bobbyh68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #105
dsraven

if you use a Camaro pan, baffle and oil pick up tube you should miss the road high points at least. they come in a kit from lots of places, even gm high perf.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #106
dsraven

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=208618

try this site for some oil pan info, or pirate 4x4 has a good write up on ls engines through the years.
the gm kit comes with dipstick as well, forgot to mention.
try ebay as well, it has been a few years since I bought mine so more would be available by now.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #107
Dave0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyh68 View Post
DaveO, What LS oil pan are you using? I have the same front end you do and my TRUCK oil pan is hitting the ground when I compress the suspension. I have Dirty Dingo 2300 engine mounts. My engine sits LOW. Had to trim frame for A/C to fit. I have been pricing oil pans and they are pretty pricey, around $250-450. Thinking about Making custom motor mounts and raising engine like yours. Are you using the stock truck pan also?

Stock truck pan, I have the engine sitting up high! It does hang down about a half inch below the cross member... I probably will make a skid plate...

If you know someone really good with a TIG you can modify it...
Old 10-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #108
Bobbyh68

Thanks for the advise DaveO and dsraven. I'm going to raise my engine a little with new ebay mounts. But not to high, I see you had to cut a crossmember on your frame. Also I might cut down my truck oil pan.
Thanks again for the advise, Your Truck is looking KILLER!
Bobbyh68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #109
dsraven

DaveO, you may want to fab up some sort of scoop to direct air across your trans cooler and/or space it away from the frame a bit for air flow. gm diesels run a cooler on the frame behind the trans but it is sideways to yours so air can get through the fins. just wondering if you will have some overheat issues on hard runs. could run a fan as well I guess. a trans temp guage would be nice, at least for the first little bit, just to keep an eye on things if you have some hard runs. the ecm monitors the temp but running hot can be a trans killer.
looking good so far. fast work too. I wish I had some time to spend on mine.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #110
dsraven

the fit on your new panels looks pretty good, what brand are they?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #111
Dave0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
DaveO, you may want to fab up some sort of scoop to direct air across your trans cooler and/or space it away from the frame a bit for air flow. gm diesels run a cooler on the frame behind the trans but it is sideways to yours so air can get through the fins. just wondering if you will have some overheat issues on hard runs. could run a fan as well I guess. a trans temp guage would be nice, at least for the first little bit, just to keep an eye on things if you have some hard runs. the ecm monitors the temp but running hot can be a trans killer.
looking good so far. fast work too. I wish I had some time to spend on mine.
I am putting a 7 inch fan on it... Pics when I get to it.

Key parts, while the fenders, doors fit pretty decent. The hood to fenders fits like CRAP!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #112
47 Fasttoys

A comment on the pan issue: A few months ago I helped a friend do a LS swap on his '50 Olds Rocket. In his case the F-body pan would not clear the cross member but the truck pan hung to low. To solve this issue we modified the original truck pan. I wish I had a picture of the finished product but alas I don't. We used piece of 1/4 inch aluminum plate in the same pattern as the template shown. We also added the drain plug section. The conversion now has over 2000 miles on it with no problems. Oil capacity is now 4 .25 quarts so no real issue there.
Rob

Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #113
mygirlz55

The build is looking great.
I have a question about your radiator. What vehicle (model and year) is it from and are you using electric fans? If you are using electric fans, what are you using for shroud.
Thanks
mygirlz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #114
Dave0

I bought a 55 rad from champion and moved the inlet and outlet. The outlet was hitting the sway bar so I put a curved one on it, in the right diameter...

Someone probably needs to recommend me a image hosting site... Im so done with photobucket... Posting a image then re-posting it here is getting tiresome...

Old 10-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #115
Kim57

Radiator fix looks good.
As far as pics you can post directly to the site from your computer. That's what I do.
Kim
Old 10-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #116
Dave0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Radiator fix looks good.
As far as pics you can post directly to the site from your computer. That's what I do.
Kim
Thanks!!!!

Took me long enough to figure that out! LOL
Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #117
Dave0

Last 2 pics before I peel this thing back apart... Steering and shifter all hooked up. Dropped the front another inch or so...
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #118
Dave0

47 Fasttoys, awesome fix! Last pic, you can see my pan hanging down a 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch.... Now that I dropped it some more, I think I will do the same.... How did it weld?
Old 10-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #119
dsraven

daveo, do you have a spare engine block laying around? it would be good to bolt it up before welding to help with possible distortion issues.
do you plan to fit the gaps before the tear down or are they good as is?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #120
Kim57

Stance looks real good.
Kim
Old 10-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #121
Dave0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
daveo, do you have a spare engine block laying around? it would be good to bolt it up before welding to help with possible distortion issues.
do you plan to fit the gaps before the tear down or are they good as is?
Good idea on the block... But the only one I would have is a older 350 (mid 70's)

Im going to get the doors fit to cab and the fenders to the doors. I am going to work on the hood to fender fit later.... Its a big can of worms!

Lokar shifter linkage, best 50 bucks I have spent!

2nd pic, I need to work on a mount for the column, I'd like to keep the collapsible mount point.

3rd pic, someone beat the cowl down on the rt side but no damage to factory hood... Not going to be fun getting it back up.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #122
Dave0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Stance looks real good.
Kim
Thanks Kim!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #123
dsraven

check inside the doors for cracks. lower hinge mount area is known problem. mine were off a farm truck and there were cracks and broken spot welds all over the place inside the door structure. that sure makes door fitment tough because you don't know exactly where things will shake out once the cracks are welded up. a little bit off on the fitment of the crack, before welding, makes a big difference on how the door fits.
good luck on the hood fitment. seems like the aftermarket stuff all fits poor, not that the original was a whole lot better. I have a couple of sets of original doors and they fit like they are from different vehicles completely. you would think they would be sorta close, at least fit the hole without rubbing somewhere.
how do you like to fit the doors, fenders off and centre them on the bottom of the door opening for "front to rear" as a starting point, then fiddle with them for top to bottom and in and out? leave the hinge bolts a bit loose so you can have an inside guy tighten the bolts when the outside guy says it fits ok?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #124
Dave0

I have them fitting as good as this stuff will fit. I did weld a few things before I started fitting and rebuilt all the hinges...The top and back of each door needs a disc grinder and welded up. The left cowl to door is the worst. I will add something to fill it in.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #125
Rude Dude

Don't forget to check if you need to add or remove shims on the cab to the cab frame mounts sometimes this affects door alignments and is often overlooked
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote