The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
69halfton

head unit...

i have decided im just going to bite the bullet, and cut the dash. I figure once its done, it will look nice, and the pain of cutting vintage sheetmetal will heal eventually.

now the question remains...what holds the back of the deck up once its in the freahly cut hole.

what did some of you do?

what do you recommend doing?

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
72 cheyenne pdx

Re: head unit...

most, if not all, stereos come with a cage to mount your stereo in. The cage has tabs that bend and go behind the sheetmetal. That should hold the stereo in pretty good. I would also recommend using the cage as the template to cut the dash out. This way you won't cut too much out.

Good Luck
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
69halfton

yeah, i was looking at that...and it just doesn't seem like it will hold well enough agains only the sheetmetal of the dash...

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
72hotrod

The radios I have installed have a stud or threaded hole in the back end for a support strap. Get one with holes from a car radio installer or something generic from some hardware or auto parts store. Set the unit in the dash, attach the strap to it just snug, find some solid structure under the dash that you can screw the strap to, bend it just enough to reach(straighter is better),mark the location for the screw (be sure the unit is straight/level). Remove the unit, attach the strap where you marked under the dash with a screw, re-install the unit and connect the strap to it. Just look at everything carefully and use common sense. I really hate getting under the dash 'cause I'm usually in some contortionist pose (like upside down) where my neck is straining to hold up my fat head, and all the blood in me is in the wrong place. And under the dash is tight, making me cuss from frustration and claustrophobia. So, grit your teeth and bare it so you can get it done and start enjoying the tunes as you cruise!
72hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote