The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
PLYONS11

Re: Dana 60 5 lug conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Personally, the first thing I would decide on is what lug pattern you want. It will make a difference in what factory parts you can get from a junkyard versus what you have to buy new from the aftermarket companies. 6 lug makes it easy to find a '63-'70 rear end but there are no factory 6 lug rotors for a disc brake conversion for the front. You have to buy the conversion from an aftermarket company and will never be able to walk into a parts store for a replacement. 5 lug means the only factory rear ends are '71-'72, which are much harder to find and command a premium in price but you can then use '71-'87 factory rotors, which you can buy in any parts store.

Once you have the lug pattern figured out, then decide if you want to swap to a coil rear suspension or leave the leafs. Coils are more common and yes, all of the '63-'72 trailing arm setups will retrofit as they are all the same length. Only the crossmember moves depending if a short bed or long bed. I don't think your frame has the panhard bar mount, so you'll likely need to get that off another frame or fab something.

My old '65 truck, someone had converted it from a trailing arm to leaf springs, as they swapped everything over from a '73 truck, to get the 5 lug conversion. I was going to swap it back to trailing arms as I like the ride better but sold it before I ever did it.

Good luck.
Chevy_mike. Good points! I am going to do 5x5. Being able to walk into a parts store to replace parts is very important to me. That's why I have been looking closely at the aftermarket front end swaps out there. I decided to do an aftermarket setup on the from in lieu of a junk yard setup because I will likely open up my wallet for a big brake kit of some kind. I plan to have a wheel with a lot of open space and I like the look of the big brake kits. I realize this does not fit in my "budget build" but I'm ok with that. It's my late grandfathers truck and I don't plan to let it go for a long time. I figure over time it will transition from a budget truck to a full on money pit!!!!

I figure that if I can find a junkyard rear end for 2-300 bucks I can still put another 2-300 hundred into it for a 5 lug axel from moser or similar. As noted in prior posts, I plan to eventually put air bags on it so I am looking for coil rear ends. I had not thought of the panhard mount however. I'll have to look into that a bit further.
PLYONS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Dana 60 5 lug conversion

Well with your latest info here is what I would do. Find a 73 to 87 1/2 ton with the 1 1/4 thick rotors and get the entire front suspension. That takes care of the front and gets you the bolt pattern you want and the availability of the rest of the stuff on your wish list. Use search tempest and keep an eye out for the parts you need. I did a quick search and most of what you need is available with in 120 miles of you. Get the Porterbuilt cross member for the trailing arms. It will be the right one for the future lowering plans. And like I said before become a supporting member and post wanted ads here.
JImmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote