The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2022, 07:32 PM   #1
Reddeye

Removing aux battery system

I have a ‘72 C20 with the auxiliary battery option that due to some interesting “enhancements” made by the PO needs to come out. Does anyone have any advice or tips for converting it to a single-battery system?
Reddeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Removing aux battery system

Unbolt the battery and remove it. Remove the cables, remove the harness and relay back to the other battery across the core support. I don't think it gets anymore complicated than that if I recall correctly if you unbolt the battery tray after all that. Oh! also you will have to move the voltage regulator to the core support from the battery mount side plate. I would take my time and make sure that everything is removed diligently as there are members that would be willing to purchase such parts one you buy a membership
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:37 AM   #3
Reddeye

Re: Removing aux battery system

Thanks for the advice, got it all pulled out this weekend. The voltage regulator was already on the rad core support. PO had installed a solenoid by the aux battery with a switch in the cab to choose which battery would charge off the alternator but it was a mess and didn't really work.
Reddeye is offline   Reply With Quote