The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Gen V engines

I am a little confused about the factory computers on these. Are the easily tuned or are they pretty locked down. So that I need to have it fixed to run a custom tune?

Or is the Holley Terminator Max X a better option at the price point now since it comes all in. Versus having to by HP tuners, and having the computer unlocked? Plus what ever you may need on the factory computer.

Also I have been watching alot of Richard Holdner since I have to let my knee relax instead of doing stuff in the garage. He got 514 hp out of a L83 with a cam, and intake change. Plus more out of a 6.2 so this leads to the second question here.

What is the potential of the LV3 4.3? My guess is 425-440hp based on the 6.2 videos. I like to do things differently sometimes, and this hit my hp goals so I can put the 350LT1 in my Camaro where I want it.

I know it will be a custom cam, but they are not to bad if the cores are available.

I know it will sound like hell so I would have to run quite exhaust otherwise madness will ensue. This engine is also lite weight so I can keep my manual steering so that helps. Plus the engine is often times alot cheaper then its V8 brethren.

Can you hard face a roller cam or weld onto it more material to increase lift or duration. Or can you go big enough by regrinding a stock cam, and then use longer pushrods?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:42 PM   #2
Joyridin

Re: Gen V engines

Up to 2018, the Gen 5 computers are still workable. After 2018, GM changed the security and it gets hairy. Yes, you can get those HP numbers out of a 5.3, but don't forget that is a bare engine with no accessories and an electric water pump. I have no info on the Holley. Will they run the DI engine with a DBW pedal?

I am putting the 220 cam he tested in my 5.3 Gen 5 now. I don't have the MSD intake and really don't plan on buying it. I am not that wrapped up in getting every drop out of the engine.

As for the 4.3, I have nothing on that. I don't see why you couldn't have it reground if you can find somebody to do it. The only issue might be lifter travel as you might be out of the travel zone if they ground too much. I am guessing they use the plastic trays to hold the lifters from turning like the V-8 engines.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Holley has a DI V8 computer that can run the 4L80 or 4L60 trans.

The new 4.3 is nearly a 6.2 with 2 cylinders not there. Slight differences in the bore I believe. So what ever can be done to a L83 I can do to this, and use the same parts. Except for things like the cam.

Tomorrow I plan to call Brian Tolley, and see what he can do. Today I had to work, and Tomorrow is a day off
Old 02-03-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Holley has a DI V8 computer that can run the 4L80 or 4L60 trans.

The new 4.3 is nearly a 6.2 with 2 cylinders not there. Slight differences in the bore I believe. So what ever can be done to a L83 I can do to this, and use the same parts. Except for things like the cam.

Tomorrow I plan to call Brian Tolley, and see what he can do. Today I had to work, and Tomorrow is a day off
You also might want to check with Cam Motion. I do not believe Brian Tooley makes their own camshafts. They used to be made by Comp Cams, but I am pretty sure they are made by Cam Motion now. Cam Motion makes the cam blanks, which is what you would need to have a custom cam ground. If they cannot do it, let me know. I can give you another name of a copay that makes cam blanks.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Do you know about rewarding cams to increase lift and duration.

I would only.do the LV3 if it cheap vs a L83. As in the end if I have to pay more money I will just run a L83.

Right now on ebay they are practically the same price. 2 years ago you could get a whole L83nfor $1500. Of course L83 were more too then now.