The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #2201
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Good stuff, both of them!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 PM   #2202
idbeast

duplicate post
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:00 AM   #2203
MARTINSR

Got the "new" aprons stripped of parts and straightened out for sand blasting. I am thinking maybe having them powder coated as they the only kinda funky part will be behind the grille. But even then these are so rough from the factory it's hardly different where I worked the damaged areas.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #2204
lowdownstar
big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
got my bed cover installed and set the bed wood in, just to see how it looks. Then got a new addition to the family....
trucks looking great but i have to say the puppy stole the show!!!!
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #2205
Black_Sheep

I gotta admit guys, I’m feeling a little lost now that the truck is done. I go out to the garage and putz around but there’s really nothing to do. After pushing for months to get stuff done, it’s hard to quit cold turkey...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:55 AM   #2206
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I gotta admit guys, I’m feeling a little lost now that the truck is done. I go out to the garage and putz around but there’s really nothing to do. After pushing for months to get stuff done, it’s hard to quit cold turkey...
Take things off and bolt them back on then wean off slowly.

I disassembled the parking brake stuff I just got and started figuring that out.

If anyone knows, does it have a pin through it to hold it into the the fender/cab bracket? The last photo is the close up of that. It has what looks like a pin in it that is broken off flush.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2018, 02:18 AM   #2207
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I disassembled the parking brake stuff I just got and started figuring that out.

If anyone knows, does it have a pin through it to hold it into the the fender/cab bracket? The last photo is the close up of that. It has what looks like a pin in it that is broken off flush.

Brian
Dang, if that Factory Assembly Manual had made it to you, you could look it up.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:18 AM   #2208
DransportGarage

Quote:
If you're hurtin' now, there's no hope for you at all when the first 6" of snow hits!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #2209
nvrdone

martin: if I remember correctly there is a cotter pin thru that hole that holds a spring and a flat washer in place. I will have to crawl under mine & look this weekend unless some one else chimes in. my shop manual doesn't show any details of the parking brake.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #2210
rgunlock

Quote:
I hear you Mark. Had the same feeling when I finished mine. Just don't do what I did... drive it a couple weeks then decide to "upgrade" most of the drivetrain. Now have a whole new set of bugs to work out but it's keeping me busy tinkering on the truck. A form of denial I guess

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #2211
dsraven

response
drive around all over looking for deals on stuff related to fixing old trucks. buy the good stuff. totally fix it, sell it.
that gives you time in the truck driving around
the projects are small and have a light at the end of a short tunnel
if you get tired of a certain part or it is more involved than you want, just resell it
keeps your skills up
keeps you happy because you get to hammer the living S%$# outta stuff and work your frustrations out

post pics of your stuff (ahem, car parts) on here so we can keep tabs on you, lol.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #2212
NeoJuice

This might help. I hooked up the floor ebrake in my truck.
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #2213
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
response
drive around all over looking for deals on stuff related to fixing old trucks. buy the good stuff. totally fix it, sell it.
that gives you time in the truck driving around
the projects are small and have a light at the end of a short tunnel
if you get tired of a certain part or it is more involved than you want, just resell it
keeps your skills up
keeps you happy because you get to hammer the living S%$# outta stuff and work your frustrations out

post pics of your stuff (ahem, car parts) on here so we can keep tabs on you, lol.
Can be hard to sit still at times, but I'm sure you can find something to do. Always old junk needing repaired.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #2214
mikebte

Ordered some blanks to cut myself a few extra keys. I was sure I did not have any blanks that would match. They arrived and I went out to cut them, while setting up my key cutter I looked on my key board and saw a an entire stack of old GM keys. (Key on right) So I matched the key and tried cutting it, sure enough it was the right blank. I sure like finding stuff I forgot I had.
Attached Images

mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #2215
dsraven

usually you keep that stuff on a shelf or in a box and move it from house to house. then you finally do a clean out and purge the old stuff. next day, you need that part and have to go buy it.
looks like you need a 108638 cp pin for that shaft Brian. maybe a bit of ginding and a bushing on the and where it is worn down.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #2216
MARTINSR

I am trying to come to a color and am coming up empty. The large spray out card is 58 Corvette "red" and it looks like friggin mud! OMG it's NOT red, it's not orange, it looks like dirt was sprayed on the card. This Ford you see is pretty close to it, but still way more red. And what is funny is the color you see here taken with my camera and put on the net with you looking at it with an HP or a Mac, or what ever it isn't going to be even close to the real color. The second I took the photo of that Ford I could see it was WAY, WAY redder on the camera than in person. So right off the bat this is a waste of time for you guys. LOL

The small spray out cards are SPI colors with the reds really more what I want. But damn, I WANT a 50's Corvette color to fit the theme of the truck but damn this is not where I want to go. I am going to check the spray out card against Corvettes at the next Goodguys and see what they have and talk to them on their color. There are a few that are restored that I see that I believe are the correct color.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #2217
MARTINSR

It just cracks me up, that large spray out card isn't even in the same city let alone the same ball park as that Ford it's laying on in the second photo.

Brian

Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #2218
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
usually you keep that stuff on a shelf or in a box and move it from house to house. then you finally do a clean out and purge the old stuff. next day, you need that part and have to go buy it.
looks like you need a 108638 cp pin for that shaft Brian. maybe a bit of ginding and a bushing on the and where it is worn down.
I thank you SOOOOOO much, I printed that out, thank you!

Brian

Old 11-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #2219
DransportGarage

Quote:
I am trying to come to a color and am coming up empty. The large spray out card is 58 Corvette "red" and it looks like friggin mud! OMG it's NOT red, it's not orange, it looks like dirt was sprayed on the card. This Ford you see is pretty close to it, but still way more red. And what is funny is the color you see here taken with my camera and put on the net with you looking at it with an HP or a Mac, or what ever it isn't going to be even close to the real color. The second I took the photo of that Ford I could see it was WAY, WAY redder on the camera than in person. So right off the bat this is a waste of time for you guys. LOL

The small spray out cards are SPI colors with the reds really more what I want. But damn, I WANT a 50's Corvette color to fit the theme of the truck but damn this is not where I want to go. I am going to check the spray out card against Corvettes at the next Goodguys and see what they have and talk to them on their color. There are a few that are restored that I see that I believe are the correct color.

Brian
The '58 Corvette red was nicknamed "SOUP", because it looked like Campbells Tomato. Try looking at the '64 Corvette Riverside red. You won't be disappointed.

If you want to go completely crazy, go for the 2019 Ford Edge Ruby Red, http://www.brandonford.com/blog/2019...ption-gallery/

Last edited by DransportGarage; 11-02-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #2220
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
The '58 Corvette red was nicknamed "SOUP", because it looked like Campbells Tomato. Try looking at the '64 Corvette Riverside red. You won't be disappointed.

WIf you want to go completely crazy, go for the 2019 Ford Edge Ruby Red, http://www.brandonford.com/blog/2019...ption-gallery/
The bummer is I want a stock GM color from the fifties. I want nothing on this truck that is later than mid fifties. But it looks like I am going to have to stretch the truth a little. LOL

I have to assume Harley Earl had access to redder reds!

Brian

Old 11-02-2018, 12:32 AM   #2221
MARTINSR

I got some welding done on my parking brake bell crank. Got the roll pin and cotter pins drilled out. Took my evening walk making a trip to the hardware store part of it and got some machine washers for the parking brake.

Got my five minutes in!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2018, 02:23 AM   #2222
MiraclePieCo

I installed my speedo pulse generator. Now I face a decision:

The truck needs some work that's beyond my capabilities in a home garage so it must be taken into town. Trouble is "town" is an hour's drive on Interstate highways over three mountain passes with 6% grades. Hardcore road test, eh? I don't have a rig that can trailer it, and getting a tow truck to my remote location would be prohibitively expensive. Pretty scary driving it so far having just put the thing together and only driven around the block! But here there's no back roads, only the freeway.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 11-02-2018 at 02:33 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:48 AM   #2223
DransportGarage

Quote:
The bummer is I want a stock GM color from the fifties. I want nothing on this truck that is later than mid fifties. But it looks like I am going to have to stretch the truth a little. LOL

I have to assume Harley Earl had access to redder reds!

Brian
'56 Chevy Matador Red?

https://www.sw-rodandrestocustomcolor.com/colors/PCCL72

The same hue was on the Buick too:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1956...U8oLiiP0a5FQM:

...and the Olds:

https://www.google.com/search?client...30.hUY0xh1Ucr4

...and the Caddy:

https://www.google.com/search?client...30.vz8JWpa7YL0

...and the Pontiac:

https://www.google.com/search?client...30.qEM38Rxr0BI

...and here are the paint chips:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisp...&info=&page=11

Keep lookin'!

Last edited by DransportGarage; 11-02-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #2224
MARTINSR

I'll look into that, thanks!

Brian

Old 11-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #2225
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I installed my speedo pulse generator. Now I face a decision:

The truck needs some work that's beyond my capabilities in a home garage so it must be taken into town. Trouble is "town" is an hour's drive on Interstate highways over three mountain passes with 6% grades. Hardcore road test, eh? I don't have a rig that can trailer it, and getting a tow truck to my remote location would be prohibitively expensive. Pretty scary driving it so far having just put the thing together and only driven around the block! But here there's no back roads, only the freeway.
I share your dilemma. When the sun comes up i will be going to N. Bend (a 140 mile round trip) to see if they can fix the leak (again) on my newly rebuilt tranny. Coastal 101 has some real hairy spots near/on the ocean. I have AAA Premium as my co-pilot (200 mile tow) and could have had Hagerty insurance tows (unlimited 60 mile tows). If it were less than the 60 mile i would opt for the tow in a heart beat. Added plus is no gas cost!!!! (and you can go with both ways. Not a plug for them as I am a brand new customer ($@#@%@%!!!! Safeco recently DOUBLED my premium for no reason)
vintovka is online now   Reply With Quote