The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
d10s69c10
Built 4 Speed

civic (i know) well The Tick is now a KNOCK!

For starters i bought the car Great gas milage And i tore my truck apart Thats is why i have it! Heres the mess so far. and i like CRX's what can i say.

anyways when i got it it smoked out the tail pipe was either oil or gas ( i hear they do have a tendancy to run very rich(spark plugs aint lieing) and it had a very quiet tick somewhere in the motor. no big worries right so i drove it and now that it has say 6000 more miles on it the knock got quite noticable when started then faded away to almost nothing again. eats about a quart of oil every 2 weeks

now the good part friday morning i jump in on my way to court(dont worry about it) get 20 miles down the road (60mph) and the motor makes a very large Squelch noise i let off the gas push in the clutch engine dies release clutch motor starts sounds like the piston is hitting a valve Barely i promptly pull over .

now i got it back home its a 1.6L took off the valve cover no metal bits, lifters are all tight cams smooth springs are all in great shape. replaced cover did a compression test
#1. spark plugs rich in appearance, jug has 140psi.
#2. Spark plugs rich shows signs of oil, jug has 160psi.
#3. Rich, jugs 130 psi
#4 rich again, jugs at 140psi also...
i have my thoughts but to keep it short ill leave it alone.

Drained oil over a very fine screen, of course its a darker brown with almost dust like metal particles in it (im thinking the restore i put in it on my first change). ive been using a 15W40.

im about to go into the bottom of it and before i do so im looking for someones 2 cents. Any imput or questions would be much appreciated.

as of right now im thinking oil pump. or a collapsed ring in cylinder 3.

"To Be Old And Wise, First You Must Be Young And Stupid"
d10s69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
ghettoluxury

Re: civic (i know) well The Tick is now a KNOCK!

oil pump could be a place to start since hondas are suposed to use 5w30. I would like to know what you find since I am a honda guy myself.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

almost sounds like a spun rod bearing.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
BB70c10
BB70c10

anyways when i got it it smoked out the tail pipe was either oil or gas ( i hear they do have a tendancy to run very rich(spark plugs aint lieing) and it had a very quiet tick somewhere in the motor. no big worries right so i drove it and now that it has say 6000 more miles on it the knock got quite noticable when started then faded away to almost nothing again. eats about a quart of oil every 2 weeks

Not sure what year you have or if it's a civic or crx.From what you said here(before the noise and stall),the slight tick you have is probably valves out of adjustment.The smoke and using oil could be a valve seal.The knock you have could be normal piston slap depending on how loud it is.Older honda motors can have noticeable piston slap when starting and then go away when warmed up.I just had to do an in-frame rebuild to my 95 civic due to a burnt valve and bad oil consumption.

The noise you described as a squelch could be the distributor bearing trying to seize up.I've also seen the cam try to seize up, and have actually seen it snap into.The compression #'s you have seem ok to me.They are within about 20 psi of each other and should be within apprx. 15% of each other.Im not good at math,but i've worked at a honda dealership for 14 yrs now and those numbers are inline with what i normally see.I would'nt even run a leak down test with those numbers.Older honda motors can actually have a noise,that is caused by new belt tension on the end of the crank shaft.That can be corrected by installing the black colored main bearings.If it just had the squelch and stalled,i would lean toward distributor.But with the knock,not sure.May be able to help with a little more info.

Last edited by BB70c10; 10-24-2009 at 08:13 PM.
BB70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote