The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2001, 11:35 AM   #1
DBLSPRT68

Question CONVERTING TO TACH DASH

I BOUGHT A TACH DASH CLUSTER FOR MY 82. IT SHOULD WORK, BUT ASKING IF ANYONE HAS DONE ONE LIKE MINE. I HAD OIL,WATER AND VOLT GUAGES ALREADY; SO THEY WILL DIRECT SWAP. THE DIFFERENCE IS I'M GOING FROM A LARGE FUEL GUAGE TO THE TINY ONE. I HAVE DUAL TANKS ON MY TRUCK ALSO, WILL THIS STILL WORK??? ONE OTHER QUESTION, MY OLD SPEEDO ONLY WENT TO 85, THIS NEW ONE GOES TO 100!! NOT THAT I WILL EVER GO THAT FAST IN THIS TANK, BUT WILL THE AUCTUAL SPEED BE OFF, OR WILL IT READ ACCURATELY??? I'LL CHECK IT ANYWAY, BUT JUST WANDERING. I'M GOING TO REPACE MY DASH PAD AND BEZEL AT THE SAME TIME. WHO MAKES A SILVERADO SILVER TRIMED BEZEL???? SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS BUT I'VE ONLY HAD THIS TRUCK FOR A SHORT TIME. THANKS, DAVID

------------------
NEW TRUCK: 1982 3/4 LWB CHEVY 350-TH400-2WD W/89 SUBURBAN FRONT. TOYOTA CELICA DAILY DRIVER. PROJECT:1965 BEL AIR 2-DOOR.
MEMPHIS, TN

PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 03:20 AM   #2
Duallie

I've done that. The fuel and speedo will read correctly. I remember having to move some wires around in the plug-in because the circuits are rearranged differently for the tach. One thing to watch out for is whether or not you have electric or mechanical oil pressure. About the same time the speedo went to 85 and the oil went to electric(1980?). Figure out which old wire went to what on the old dash and poke em out of the plug to match what the new dash needs.

------------------
Just as if I knew what I was doin'