The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #26
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

HOLY CRAP THIS IS A SWEET BUILD!!!

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #27
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Awesome!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #28
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Well, I got some miscellaneous "stuff" done recently. I got the fittings and nipples on the power steering filter figured out. It doesn't look like much, but it took some time to figure out the angles to set the fittings at to keep the hoses from kinking when coming into or going out of the filter head.

I also got my electric fans mounted. This was a bit tougher than I expected because of the clearance (or lack thereof) between the intercooler and the power steering cooler. With a little creativity and adjustment of mounting shims, it was able to be accomplished.

With the fans mounted, I was able to install the intercooler (hopefully for the last time). I have not started building the wiring harness yet, so the wires are just tucked out of the way for now.

I also finished hacking the hood latch support. I removed so much of it for intercooler and then fan clearance that I felt it needed to have some structure added back into it. I welded a piece of 1" x .125 flat stock to the drivers side of the support from top to bottom. It probably weighs as much now as when I started cutting it and is probably as stout, if not stouter.

I'm not sure why, but every time I make a battery tray I forget to provide a provision to hold the battery down. It is a minor detail, but one worth having available. Of course the trays were both painted and one was installed, but I managed to come up with a hold down provision that both functioned well and was relatively easy to install. I got a couple chunks of 5/16-18 all thread and a handful of coupler nuts. I welded one coupler nut on each side of the tray. Then I took a piece of all thread and dropped it through the top strap that I made out of some 1" flat stock welded to a couple pieces of 1/2 x1/2 angle stock. I threaded them into the coupler nuts that I welded to the tray. then, I threaded another coupler nut down the all thread until it hit the top strap and I cut the all thread off flush with the top of the coupler nuts. I then removed the all thread with the coupler nuts still on them and welded the top of the nuts to the top of the all thread. I cleaned them up and painted the nuts. I think it turned out pretty ok.

Along the way, my boy came out wearing a mask that my wife and he had made earlier in the day. He goes by and says he is going to go weld. Uh, ok. Have fun!! Well, I got to thinking about him welding and being that he can't watch me do it, I figured I'd make something for him to use. I started with a piece of 1/2" o.d. copper tubing for the handle/nozzle and soldered a piece of 12ga solid core wire in the center for the electrode. A little bit of black electrical tape and we had a MIG (GMAW) welder on our hands. After presenting it to him he said that he's been waiting for me to make one of these for him. Gee, sorry it took so long boy.

The end result:

Gorilla mask, er, uh, helmet down and welder in use:

Now, I am either too poor or too cheap (probably a combination of both) to pony up for the gold plated factory tow hooks. Seeing as how I have a set of '73-'80 hooks gathering dust, I figured they would go well with the rest of the originality I am maintaining.

Initial fitment:

Installed:

I think they look pretty good. Yeah, some factory ones would be cool and some extreme bends would probably be even cooler, but I think these are a good compromise between form, function and cost.

Maybe it's just me.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 02:24 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #29
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Look's incredible. By the way, with the cost of copper now-a-days, that toy welding gun probably cost more than the real thing!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #30
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Great thread you have going here.

Question:
Do you still recall what evaporator you used? I'm getting ready to restore my air and, while I'd like to use the original POA setup, I don't wanna hassle with finding a working one (tested mine and it doesn't work anymore-- a DOA POA), so I'm going to build a CCOT system, which looks like what you're doing. I've done considerable web surfing and it looks like new manufacture POAs have gone the way of the Dodo bird . . . at least for now.

The '73 and up evap cases are pretty similar looking. Also some 70's cars had similar cases. Wondered if you remembered what you used for an approximate fit.
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #31
70rs/ss

This is my Suburban, have you been stealing my thoughts!? I want to build this exact Burb, so I can have my cake and eat it too!! Diesel for power and MPG and 4X cause I want it and the whole package to replace the $40K 05 Yukon XL I totalled. I think the 67-72 Burb has way more style and class, plus the diesel power and economy, as well as 4X anyways, when you get done building my Burb, I'd like to get the keys back from you!! This is so sweet, one day, one day!

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 10-02-2008 at 03:06 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:31 AM   #32
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut64052 View Post

Question:
Do you still recall what evaporator you used? I'm getting ready to restore my air and, while I'd like to use the original POA setup, I don't wanna hassle with finding a working one (tested mine and it doesn't work anymore-- a DOA POA), so I'm going to build a CCOT system, which looks like what you're doing. I've done considerable web surfing and it looks like new manufacture POAs have gone the way of the Dodo bird . . . at least for now.

The '73 and up evap cases are pretty similar looking. Also some 70's cars had similar cases. Wondered if you remembered what you used for an approximate fit.

A DOA POA. Yup, seen many of them. The only thing that is made these days (that I know of) is a POA eliminator kit. It is kind of a neat deal, but I haven't seen one in several years so I forget what it consisted of.

As far as what evaporator I used--I forgot that also. I do know that you can not use the '73 and up unit because of the "U" shaped low side (outlet). This unit will put the accumulator into either the fenderwell or the hood hinge or spring--I forget which. I tried MANY different ones and what I ended up using was not something that seemed like it should work by application, but in form it worked great. This system has not been charged yet, but I got all of these parts for a buddy of mine to use in his K5 and it works great in his truck. I'll get into my file cabinet and do some digging in the monstrous file titled "Suburban" and see if I can find the invoice and get you a p/n.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #33
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
This is my Suburban, have you been stealing my thoughts!? I want to build this exact Burb, so I can have my cake and eat it too!! Diesel for power and MPG and 4X cause I want it and the whole package to replace the $40K 05 Yukon XL I totalled. I think the 67-72 Burb has way more style and class, plus the diesel power and economy, as well as 4X anyways, when you get done building my Burb, I'd like to get the keys back from you!! This is so sweet, one day, one day!
Ha, ha, ha!! Dood, for $40K, you can come and get it right now!!

Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #34
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut64052 View Post

Question:

FOUND IT!! Man, that is a big file......

Anyways, 15-6249/3035171. Link to image Application is: '77 Chevelle, Monte, Impala. From what I can tell, it was used for a little over a year, so avaliability might be tough. The only major size difference between this unit and the original unit core-wise is this unit is one "row" shorter. IIRC, I made a thin strip of sheetmetal to fill the space and to mount the weatherstripping to. With my huge condenser and the duct mods under the dash (eliminate one hose going to the center vent for improved airflow) I figured the one tube missing would not be too noticable.

15-1648 Accumulator with the inlet at 6:00 and the outlet at 3:00 (pointing at pass fender) This one works good because the high side hose and low side hose can be run together, uh, "bundled"(??) for a cleaner look to the hoses because the evap inlet on the 15-6249 points at the pass fender also.

(The 15-xxxx numbers are AC Delco numbers)

Hope it helps.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 AM   #35
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
The only thing that is made these days (that I know of) is a POA eliminator kit. It is kind of a neat deal, but I haven't seen one in several years so I forget what it consisted of.
That's right. Basically, all they are is an orifice with a low side switch and the orifice is all that's "controlling" evap pressure. Sometimes they cool okay, sometimes they don't, mainly due to varying environmental conditions (ambient temperature, etc).

Quote:
I do know that you can not use the '73 and up unit because of the "U" shaped low side (outlet). This unit will put the accumulator into either the fenderwell or the hood hinge or spring--I forget which.
Hmm . .yeah. That'd be right.

Quote:
I'll get into my file cabinet and do some digging in the monstrous file titled "Suburban" and see if I can find the invoice and get you a p/n.
Don't want to derail your excellent build thread, but it'd be muchly appreciated. CCOT systems were a step down from POAs. Fewer parts, cheaper, and they cool fairly well. A healthy POA system would freeze meat in a Caddy Fleetwood, but the reality of increasingly scarce parts forces me to go CCOT.

. . . and just as I was about to smack the "Submit" button, your part number came through.

Thanks very much!!
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #36
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Very Cool Build!!!, Subscribed!!!

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #37
scapegoat

What did you do for motor mounts?

I was thinking of putting a cummins in my 69 setpside... but seeing that oil pan... i'm not to sure I'll have the ground clearance now...
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #38
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I used mounts from a 1st Gen Dodge. The mounts are simple, one stud on the top and one stud on the bottom. I would not encourage a Cummins swap due to the work, time and fabrication involved, but if I can do it, it is obviously not impossible. The oil pan is not too terribly deep. The front portion of the pan is only about one inch below the bottom of the block and it drops into a sump that is comparable to a SBC toward the back. If your stepside is a 2wd, the swap would be much easier as you can use the crossmember you already have.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #39
scapegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
I used mounts from a 1st Gen Dodge. The mounts are simple, one stud on the top and one stud on the bottom. I would not encourage a Cummins swap due to the work, time and fabrication involved, but if I can do it, it is obviously not impossible. The oil pan is not too terribly deep. The front portion of the pan is only about one inch below the bottom of the block and it drops into a sump that is comparable to a SBC toward the back. If your stepside is a 2wd, the swap would be much easier as you can use the crossmember you already have.
yes, my stepside is 2wd... I haven't done a crap load of work on vehicles... pretty much cutting my teeth on this chevy. Other than logic and common sense on my side...

I'd just love to hear a turbo diesel under the hood. How well do the mounts line up, is there any fab work required?

Awesome project, can't wait to see some videos of it running
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #40
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I'd just love to hear a turbo diesel under the hood. How well do the mounts line up, is there any fab work required?
With a 6BT the mounts will probably not line up with anything. I can't say how much fab work would be involved ona 2x, but if it is anything like a 4x my answer would be yes, much. If you have to have the sound of a turbo diesel check out a 4BT. Much, MUCH easier to adapt (practically a bolt in compared to a 6BT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
Awesome project, can't wait to see some videos of it running
Yeah, me too!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #41
earl87gta

I would think a 2WD would be harder in a 4wd you can make a new cross member or buy one premade for the convertion if you dont want to do it your self. But a 2wd you cant just replace the cross meber do to it being part of the front suspention so you have no choice but to modify it. There is a guy on the diesel boards and he hangs out on pirate4x4 alot too that sells convertion kits for the 4 and 6bt convertion. Ill try and get his contact info and post it here if thats ok so that every one folowing a long will have an option to buy the parts need. He mayeven have done a 2wd to help out with 2wd questoins as well.

Last edited by earl87gta; 10-07-2008 at 08:18 AM.
earl87gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #42
70rs/ss

OK I own a 24 valve cummins in my 07 Dodge, but the 6bt and 4bt thing throws me, I know what a 12 valve is so what is the 4-6bt??? I am interested, as buying a install type kit would be worth every penny for me cause my time is worth more than $$$ in most cases.

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 10-07-2008 at 04:00 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #43
scapegoat

from my 30 seconds online looking into the 4bt... i've read they don't last very long at hp levels around 250... so that nicks that idea.

there are always big blocks for me

Oh well, i'll still be keeping an eye on this build
Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #44
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
OK I own a 24 valve cummins in my 07 Dodge, but the 6bt and 4bt thing throws me, I know what a 12 valve is so what is the 4-6bt??? I am interested, as buying a install type kit would be worth every penny for me cause my time is worth more than $$$ in most cases.
6BT is:

6: Number of cylinders

B: Cummins engine series

T: Turbo

And technically, I am dealing with a 6BTA in my conversion

A: Aftercooled (Intercooled)

So to make a long answer longer, a 4BT is a four cylinder version of the 6BT. There are several sources for them. They do not live a long happy extended life when the screws are turned, but they do make respectable horse power while making gobs of torque (keeping in mind they are 3.9L). With the correct gearing, a fun-to-drive vehicle could be had while making some extremely impressive mileage. If I had it to do over, I'm pretty sure I would have gone with a 4BT. So much simpler. There are factory mounts to mate up with GM truck frames, adpaters to mate up with GM bell housings and being two cylinders shorter, much easier to adapt.

4btswaps.com has some good info on them.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #45
earl87gta

Originally when people did a 6bt swap they used the 4bt adaptor plates a lot of your fredolay and UPS trucks used a 4bt with a th400 trans mounted behind it. The reason you don’t see a lot of guys doing this with the 6bt is that it turns the engine I think 10 deg to the side so the engine is not setting straight up and down witch made for clearance trouble with the 6bt in most trucks. This isn’t a problem if you use a dodge trans. you can use a 4bt cross meber too if you can score one to use with a 6bt.

Last edited by earl87gta; 10-08-2008 at 10:58 PM.
earl87gta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #46
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I got a little more done here this weekend. I have been working on the intercooler tubes off and on for awhile and finally got the fitted. They worked out pretty good as I was able to re-route and re-engineer them to fit where they need to be. I cut some out here to bring this up or over or down and I used the chunk I cut out to lengthen this piece or drop that part down etc. When the sparks settled I ended up with about 3/4" of tube left over.

Passenger side tube:

A different angle:

The way the Banks kit was set up, it used a hose that ran from the intake plenum, ran across the top of the motor, across the exhaust manifold, past the turbo to the wastegate actuator (the thing with the green cap on the end of the hose nipple). I did not really care for the aesthetics of that. The pressure is the same after the turbo and before the intake manifold anywhere in the system, so I decided to make the plumbing a bit cleaner. I installed the passenger side tube and reached around to the back and found a spot that could not be seen from the front of the vehicle. I pulled the tube back out and put a dot on it. I then bored a .187 hole in the tube and took a hose nipple I made out of a piece of .187 brake line that I put a bubble flare on the end of and silver soldered it into the intercooler tube. Now, a hose can be run off of that nipple around the back of the I/C tube and loop up and around to the wastegate actuator. Instead of the hose hanging out in front of GOD and everybody, it will just kind of show up from out of nowhere and loop around to its final destination. About one foot of hose versus about four feet.

Like this:

The driver's side was quite the pain in my hinder. I think every straight section of the pipe had to be modified. After all the work that went into it I think it looks pretty good. In the bottom of the pic the infernal power steering lines can be seen. The chunk of bulk hose running kind of parallel to the I/C tube is power steering fluid return to the pump from the cooler that needs final routing and to be trimmed to length.

I built my hydroboost and installed it awhile back, but there was no photographic proof of it. I was going to use a H/B off of a late 80's V3500, but the mounting plate was so gangly I did not like how it looked and was not enthused about the amount of work needed to make it fit. I had another H/B off of a '99 C3500. This is the way to go. It has an extremely simple mounting plate that lends itself well to modification. I inverted the mounting plate and bored two holes in it and that was it--done. I had to enlarge the hole in the firewall a few thousandths to get the nut that holds the H/B unit to the plate to fit through the hole and I lengthened the input rod a bit. I used some fluid lines for a mid 90's C3500HD with a 5.7L. They were NOT a bolt on deal, but they required the least amount of modification to fit (the least amount, but still a lot). I liked them a lot because they come off the H/B unit on the engine side of the unit instead of the fender side like the V Series hoses. This gave me room for my clutch master cylinder which is also visible in the pic. Obviously it is in, but I do not have a couple key pictures to illustrate the work done and it would take too much to try to explain what I did, so I am going to hold off describing that whole deal until I get a few pics of a couple parts.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-13-2017 at 02:35 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #47
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Words cannot describe the coolness of this build!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #48
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I am anxious to see the smoke roll out of the exhaust pipe. Keep it going.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #49
Hoot71Burb

MosesBurb - I just bought a 71 Suburban and was interested in putting a Duramax under the hood. However, due to the difficulty of the endeavor I decided against it.

Your details of your build make me change my mind. Maybe an endeavor with a Cummins is in order????

By the way, I'm up in Prescott Valley.
Hoot71Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #50
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot71Burb View Post
Your details of your build make me change my mind.
Hey, hey, hey now, don't be blaming me for this.

Quote:
Maybe an endeavor with a Cummins is in order????
I have not done too much research on the DMax, but I have a feeling that the DMax might be a physically easier swap because it is shorter in length and height, but a much larger ordeal in electrical, wheras the Cummins would be a more difficult physical swap but much easier in the electrical department.

Quote:
By the way, I'm up in Prescott Valley.
Welcome to the board.