The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #1301
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Cool pics Mosesburb! Looks like you all had a great time. Interestingly enough, last time we did White Rim in 2015 it rained like crazy on us when we camped at Murphy Hogback but by the time we reached the Candlestick area 10 to 15 miles down the trail where many of the potholes reside they mostly dry as a bone but one here and there with just a small layer of water in them.

Then when we did WRT with 1leglance in 2011 it was HOT and dry. We didn’t see an ounce of rain until we started up the steep and narrow Shafer Trail towards the Visitors Center. Right after we reached the top they closed Shafer until it dried out. That was the year Mineral Bottom was washed out so we went as far as Potato Bottom then back tracked all the way back out. Basically, we came in by the Visitors Center went 7/8's of the entire WRT and back tracked out the same way. On the way out we drove about 8 hours straight through back to the visitors center. Made for a LONG hot day. Cool to see the potholes so full and so full of life in your pictures.

Along the same lines, I just barely finished up the trip report from Desert Trip 2016 last week. Only took me 4 dang months to write it up this year
I was wondering if you were gong to do a report on that trip. You are a helluva lot closer to real time than I am with the trip postings though. I was talking with Gary Wescott at SEMA and we were lamenting the same time issues with maintaining a blog/thread. The time it takes to sort the pics. The time it takes to resize and upload the pics to a host site. The time it takes to write the story. The time it takes to caption the pictures. All of that to entertain people for free. I do enjoy the posting of the travels and building/maintenance. Hopefully it will help inspire people to get out and see what is out there like Wescott's travel tales did for me (before the internet came along).

I remember the story of running WRT and having to come back out and doing that part in one day. Oof. No thanks. Great trail, but that would be a bit much. What an awesome area. You know from your experience as well that no pictures or words can even remotely come close to describing what the area is like. Every bend, turn, altitude change, or curve nets a completely different view, oftentimes looking like a completely different area 50 yards down the trail.

I'll have to check out your trip report when I have some more time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dump View Post
Awesome pictures and awesome build thread. I've been through the entire build thread more than once.
Thanks!!

Quote:
I'm wondering if you can share any more details on the blue suburban? What kind of drivetrain, etc.?
It was purchased as a 1970 K20 350 330hp GM crate motor/TH400/NP205/D44/Eaton HO72 four wheel drum brakes, ceiling mounted factory ac. Everything except the motor, trans and transfer case was original and worn out. Very much. I de-cammed the motor to make it more tractable for truck use, added TBI, installed a 40 gallon gas tank, changed the entire cooling system, added an aluminum radiator and electric fans, 700R4, clocked NP208, '72 style booster and brackets with new prop valve and lines, disc brake D44 with ARB locker, 14FF with ARB locker, he had some custom spring packs built along with Fox reservoir shocks for extended washboard travel in Baja, I rewired the truck from headlight to tail lights and everything in between. Added power ports throughout for nav computer, refrigerator, charging electrical devices. Auxiliary gauges installed to monitor dual batteries and vital drivetrain temperatures. Installed an Extreme Outback air compressor and tank, plumber air throughout the truck with DOT air brake line. I installed a Vintage Air unit with a factory style roof mounted rear ac unit using Barrier hose and beadlock fittings throughout the system. Engine oil cooler, large trans cooler, power steering cooler. I probably did some other stuff that I am forgetting, but that gives an idea of what went on.

Here is a thread that is about as hooptie as the truck was: Blue Suburban Thread
Old 11-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #1302
big dump

Awesome! You do some incredible work. I think it's great that you've documented the diesel so well and that you're using it to the extent you do. I sold my blazer a few years back, and I really want to build a gas 4x4 suburban for camping, fishing, hunting, etc. So cool, thanks for sharing!
big dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:12 AM   #1303
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Awesome! You do some incredible work. I think it's great that you've documented the diesel so well and that you're using it to the extent you do. I sold my blazer a few years back, and I really want to build a gas 4x4 suburban for camping, fishing, hunting, etc. So cool, thanks for sharing!
Thank you for the high praise!! They are definitely a great platform for all of your intended uses. I highly recommend them. lol
Old 12-06-2016, 02:52 AM   #1304
mosesburb
I had a V-8

So, on to some truck stuff for a change. I am way behind on post about the service/modifications that support the travels that seem to take the spotlight around here. Things are not always rainbows and unicorns with this thing and a significant amount of maintenance/service/modifications occur behind the scenes to try to keep our adventures hand tool-free. I have no issues changing a part that is kind enough to fail in my driveway or around town here. A part that fails away from home, but still allows me to get home is the next best kind. All vehicles have parts that fail (even brand new vehicles) and doing what we do, a keen eye, ear, etc is required to keep the back country travel uneventful in the mechanical department.

One part that has become a recurring issue are my electric fans on the intercooler. These are mainly used at low speed on the trails to keep the large belt driven fan off as much as possible and also to increase airflow across the condenser when the a/c is on. A little back story on the fans I use; they are Hayden 12" curved blade pushers that I have been using for decades as pushers on every other vehicle in my fleet (all of which see more hours of service in summer than this truck does). All of those vehicles still have the original ones I installed in them. The Suburban on the other hand has barfed one in an electrical smokeshow on the trail out of Fossil Creek a few years back. I changed both out with new ones so as to not have an issue with either again. While doing that I made new aluminum mounts welded to the intercooler and engineered them in such a way I could drop a fan out the bottom and not have to disassemble the whole grille structure. That worked great until I installed that gigantic winch behind the bumper (which places it under the intercooler, thus blocking my great plan to drop a fan out the bottom). Enter ANOTHER dead Hayden fan into the picture. Can't drop it out the bottom. Have to disassemble grille structure. I don't want to. It needs to be done. Still don't want to. I'm sick of changing Hayden fans. I decided I needed to change them both again--to a different brand this time. I've been installing Spals for a while now in other vehicles, so I opted for a pair of those to replace these. The pictures of the Spals looked like the same housing, but when they arrived they were different. All of those nice brackets I made to support the Hayden fans had to be cut off and remade. Swell. Not only that, the Spals use a mounting setup that is the same style, but quite different at the same time. It took me a bit to come up with a mounting setup that would give the support these things need.

New brackets:

Spals mounted:

These things move a bunch more air and also make a fair bit more noise as well. Nothing obnoxious, but noticeable. Hopefully their service life will be measured in decades and not weeks...

One nice thing about living and traveling in the desert is the bugs are small and fairly dry. Once we get out of the desert, the bugs get larger and much juicier. Many times while traveling through an area that bugs are greasing my windshield to the point visibility is becoming an issue, I start wondering about the immediate health of my cool-pack. If my windshield looks like this, you can bet the intercooler and condenser are looking the same or worse. I ALWAYS thoroughly wash the heat exchangers when I have a component out, but out on the road, that really isn't an option. I decided to add a stainless wire cloth behind the grille. Simple enough, but not quite so. Luckily a buddy of mine introduced me to the evils of the screen once upon a time when he added some to his racecar and instantly had cooling issues. Come to find out there are three dimensions to the wire cloth. Diameter of wire, size of hole, number of holes per inch. All of these contribute to calculate the open area. So, great, where to start... I took some vernier calipers to work and measured the dimensions of the cloth on a Mack, a Sterling, a Freightliner and an International. Interestingly, they all used cloth with the exact same dimensions. So I set out to get some cloth with those dimensions. I couldn't find any. I could come close, but not the same. I did find an online calculator that you can put each dimension into and find out what open percentage of area you have and it is absolutely amazing how a small change in one dimension can cut open area DRASTICALLY. It took an evening with the calculator and some online sources to find something close to what the tractors use. I went with a little more open area and still lost 1/3 of the area to wire. Yep, cut airflow across the cool pack by 1/3. Wow. It is noticeable in how often the fan clutch engages in the heat, but the amount of junk it keeps out is well worth it. The cooling system is big enough to deal with the airflow loss and not have a detrimental on engine temperature.

I also added the bowtie to the grille. It is an authorized GM reproduction and it already looks like crap. Water got into the blue area and the sun faded it out. Good job china.

I wanted to try some more noise abatement up front. It's actually fairly quiet inside, but some quiet is good, more is better. One thing I had done nothing to was the hood. The hood acts like a big sound radiator and all that sound goes right through the windshield because normal glass has absolutely no sound dampening properties whatsoever. After much research both online and people in the know, the most popular method I found was Line-X. So off came the hood and to Line-X we went.

After:

It turned out pretty good. Does it work?? Yes and no. It definitely kills lower frequencies. Heavy engine sounds etc. Unfortunately, this "unmasks" the higher pitch sounds. Now it sounds like someone cranked the volume on the higher frequency turbo whine. Not terrible, but much more noticeable. It really isn't that bad because the high pitch sounds are more of an annoyance than the lower pitch which are great contributors to driver fatigue. We don't want that. All in all, I feel it was worth the time and money and definitely helped a situation that didn't seem that bad to begin with. Win-win.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:01 AM   #1305
lower50's

I totally agree with your first paragraph, I live by it.
Strange your fans keep dying!! Is there a voltage drop maybe? that would kill them.
Sound reduction is on my list for this spring. Is your turbo the HX35? does it turbo have the silencer ring?
I have the HX35 I made a silencer ring I can remove, drops highway noise by 5db.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 AM   #1306
spacedebris

I love the grill screen you did. I did something similar to my old 79 chevy luv back in college. Only I used pet window screen. I cut it 1 inch taller than I needed and then folded over the top and bottom 1/2 inch and sewed it together to make a pocket top and bottom the width of the grill. Then placed about 2 gauge wire through the pockets. Then starting with one side put a pocket in one end and then evenly spaced pockets across the width (for my luv it was every 8 inches or so if I remember right) with more 2 gauge wires. Then placed behind the grill. attached those "runners" to any mounting screws top bottom left and right. Basically made a window screen for my grill. Worked great. The only problem I ever had was during one trip, I ran into some heavy wet snow and the screen packed up almost instantly. I was amazed at how durable that nylon pet screen is. Like you said, it reduces the airflow slightly. But I only ever noticed the bare minimum of temp rises on the idiot gauge. (went from the left side of the tick mark to the right side). Also since the screen is black, it all but disappeared behind the grill and could only be seen if you really looked for it.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #1307
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice maintenance and upgrading. Do you have a link to the screen that you went with to save us the same research?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 AM   #1308
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
I totally agree with your first paragraph, I live by it.
Strange your fans keep dying!! Is there a voltage drop maybe? that would kill them.
Sound reduction is on my list for this spring. Is your turbo the HX35? does it turbo have the silencer ring?
I have the HX35 I made a silencer ring I can remove, drops highway noise by 5db.
I don't think it is a voltage drop as both failures have been locked up. The turbo is an HX35 and it does have the silencer ring still in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
I love the grill screen you did. I did something similar to my old 79 chevy luv back in college. Only I used pet window screen. I cut it 1 inch taller than I needed and then folded over the top and bottom 1/2 inch and sewed it together to make a pocket top and bottom the width of the grill. Then placed about 2 gauge wire through the pockets. Then starting with one side put a pocket in one end and then evenly spaced pockets across the width (for my luv it was every 8 inches or so if I remember right) with more 2 gauge wires. Then placed behind the grill. attached those "runners" to any mounting screws top bottom left and right. Basically made a window screen for my grill. Worked great. The only problem I ever had was during one trip, I ran into some heavy wet snow and the screen packed up almost instantly. I was amazed at how durable that nylon pet screen is. Like you said, it reduces the airflow slightly. But I only ever noticed the bare minimum of temp rises on the idiot gauge. (went from the left side of the tick mark to the right side). Also since the screen is black, it all but disappeared behind the grill and could only be seen if you really looked for it.
Yours sounds a bit more elaborate than mine. Cool that it worked well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice maintenance and upgrading. Do you have a link to the screen that you went with to save us the same research?
No, and to be honest with you, I'd have to try and find a remnant to measure the three dimensions to even tell you what those were. The installation was kind of a "trial" fit that ended up working very well.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:15 AM   #1309
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
I still don't have a link, but I found a rem and measured the vitals for you:

Wire diameter is .027"
Hole size is .140"
Holes per inch: 6

I forget exactly how this compares tot he stuff off the tractors, but I believe the wire diameter is slightly smaller and the holes are a fuzz bigger than the big truck stuff.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:21 AM   #1310
mosesburb
I had a V-8

So one of the few recurring issues I have had over the years is warping the front brake rotors. It has happened a few times since I built it. It makes no sense as I know how to descend a grade without riding, or oftentimes even using the brakes. I have no issue going down a hill in a lower gear even if it is a bit slower than I would like to be running. If it keeps me off the brakes, I'm good with it. The rear brakes are fully functional and the auto adjusters work as well as being manually adjusted a couple times a year. So that, and the fact that I only use high quality components in the system really puzzles me. The rotors have not floated on any boat to arrive in this country. They are complete hub/rotor assemblies from GM and are from Budd, a longtime OE supplier. The caliper were also brand new units from GM, not some rebuilt rusted out cores. Brand new, zero mile units. The caliper brackets were some very nice pieces I found locally and installed after the first warping issue. The mounting hardware is new and cleaned/lubed any time the caliper is removed for any reason. The original caliper brackets that came on the 60 had a bit of wear in the area where the end nub of the pad rides. The replacement pieces had much less wear in that area and none where the caliper itself rides. I use Bendix Fleet/Metlock pads exclusively. They are a great compound that has a great coefficient of friction but also has great pad life and does not kill rotors. Win, win, win. I ditched the corroded rotor dust shields because they were pretty much junk and also all the cool kids do it. So with all of the money and brand new parts I've thrown at these brakes, I was getting very frustrated having to repeatedly deal with warped rotors. So what is the problem?? All of this good stuff should work in harmony making the pressing of the brake pedal nothing less than an experience full of unicorns and rainbows.

So I guess I have lost track of exactly when I decided to try again (about 1.5 years ago), but I eventually started acquiring MORE new parts. One possibility I could not discount was the area of the caliper bracket where the nub of the pad rides. Every bracket I have ever seen has some wear in this area, but they don't warp rotors like mine does. So I throw out the dragnet looking for caliper brackets and eventually I come up with two new ones (not at the same time mind you).

Yep, those are NOS caliper brackets. Not an easy thing to find, but I am really trying to eliminate any known possibilities here.

Another thing I decide to try is installing the rotor dust shields. I've heard the main reason the cool kids remove them to prevent rocks from getting caught between the dust shield and the rotor. While a viable possibility, I have never had it happen on any other vehicle I've driven on dirt, so that reason is out for me at this point, but looking at my situation from a different angle the shields can help a different situation--quenching/thermal shock from water. When running in the desert, the brakes run warm/hot and a small stream crossing or puddle will throw cold/cool water onto a hot rotor. Obviously the dust shields are not water tight, but they will keep small amounts of water from directly contacting the hot rotor. Will it solve the problem?? Who knows, but I'm going to try it. The only problem now is I have to find dust shields. I'm not exactly sure where these came from, but I think they came from my buddy Russ that does all of my precision machining. I could be wrong, but if I am, I'll still give him credit. I cleaned them up and ended up with dust shields that look like this:

Nice pieces.

Now what?? Well, about the only thing left are the rotors themselves. Ugh, I paid a ton of money for these GM/Budd hub/rotor units that are made in the US, and I really don't want to condemn them, but they have been cut a few times, a couple of those were real deep cuts to get them straight. Are they permanently warped?? Do they have memory?? I don't know. One thing I have done for decades on vehicles that I use in a performance fashion is to machine cooling slots in the rotor faces. I never got into drilling cooling holes in the faces due to potential cracking issues and the fact that the slots have always been enough. Now I have an issue. Do I machine these possibly compromised rotors with cooling slots?? Do I buy new rotors and machine slots into them?? Can I even find domestic rotors anymore?? Well, I started researching rotors that are pre-machined with slots in them already. There are several companies out there that offer them. It seems that none of them use domestic iron for this vehicle application. I finally settle on Street Plus Performance units. They are slotted and drilled rotors. The holes in the face of the rotors are radius chamfered so stress risers are greatly reduced. They also warranty their rotors against cracking. I guess that is as good as I'm going to get, so I throw down another pile of cash for the new rotors:

So we're ready to go now, right?? Well, not quite.... I can not bring myself to install all of these new , high dollar parts with the old brake pads. I grab another set of Bendix Fleet/Metlock pads and start inspecting them for issues. One thing I did not like was the way the end nub, that locates the pad in my brand new caliper brackets, is shaped. I decided to square up the end of the pad and then polish the end of the nub so no additional drag would occur in that area.

The picture is not so great, but the pad on the left is the one that got squared up and polished:

A different angle that shows the end a little better:

So I added it all together and threw it at the vehicle and this is what I came up with:

Looks like every other time, except the rotor is drilled and slotted now. So, does it work?? I'd say the jury is still out, but so far, so good. The parts have been in there for about a year and a half now and have no indication of being warped at all. When I hubbed the rotors I measured the runout and it was a bit more than I wanted (I don't recall what the reading was, just that it was more than I wanted), but it has not been an issue at all. The braking performance seems about the same as it was before, but without the warpage it is so nice to drive. It has been on several trips since installation as well as two of our long summer trips with no problems so far. So hopefully, the problem is finally solved, but if not, I have at least had a couple years of no warpage. At this point I call it a win.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #1311
notchbackgta

Where did you get the rotors and the pads? I am working towards my 4x4 conversion and have not found much except stock replacement stuff. I like EBC, but they don't seem to make a rotor for a K30 and only two pad choices and I would like something with low dust.
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #1312
lower50's

Ya sounds very frustrating. At least it has been good for a while now. I would put my money on the dust/splash shield.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:59 AM   #1313
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Looks good! I was sure someone made drilled and slotted d60 rotors but hadn't ever looked into it. Glad to know they're of decent quality.

Yeah I wonder about the dust shields as well. Is there any chance they act like a fan shroud making cooling of the rotor more efficient?
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:08 AM   #1314
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
Where did you get the rotors and the pads? I am working towards my 4x4 conversion and have not found much except stock replacement stuff. I like EBC, but they don't seem to make a rotor for a K30 and only two pad choices and I would like something with low dust.
The rotors came from Street Plus Performance. The pads are Bendix MKD149FM available from any Bendix supplier. One thing I will mention is that I noticed the last set of these Fleet/Metlock pads that I bought for another vehicle in my fleet came in a box that no longer says Made In USA on it. Hopefully the quality is still there, but only time will tell. I have had fantastic luck with these pads for decades. I have used them on everything from my mom's cars to my Sub and everything in between.

Quote:
Ya sounds very frustrating. At least it has been good for a while now. I would put my money on the dust/splash shield.
I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Looks good! I was sure someone made drilled and slotted d60 rotors but hadn't ever looked into it. Glad to know they're of decent quality.

Yeah I wonder about the dust shields as well. Is there any chance they act like a fan shroud making cooling of the rotor more efficient?
I doubt it as the rotors kind of free-ball it out in the air inside of the tire/wheel and the dust shield would only reduce free airflow through the rotor. This is kind of a double-edged sword as just as easily as the air can flow through the rotors, so can water. Whether it is water in a stream or water off a rain soaked highway, some type of shielding would be a good thing.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #1315
MaxPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
The rotors came from Street Plus Performance. The pads are Bendix MKD149FM available from any Bendix supplier. One thing I will mention is that I noticed the last set of these Fleet/Metlock pads that I bought for another vehicle in my fleet came in a box that no longer says Made In USA on it. Hopefully the quality is still there, but only time will tell. I have had fantastic luck with these pads for decades. I have used them on everything from my mom's cars to my Sub and everything in between..
I ran the Made In India MKD149FMs when I recently turned my hub-rotor assemblies and reinstalled them. They are a bit different from the MADE In USA ones in that they have a dust slot in the middle of the pad and blue break-in compound on them. So far they seem to be working fine, but if I do have problems with them I have a box of NOS Made In USA pads waiting in the wings. I also kept the barely worn Made In USA pads that I took off. A quick bump on a belt sander and they would be fine to re-use as well.

If I have a warping issue I may see about installing some kind of Wilwood rotor/hat assembly in place of the OE crap. So far though I haven't had any issues, but then again I've only had these on there for a month or so.
1991 V1500 Blazer (Silverado), 5.9L 12V P-pumped Cummins (5x .012 sac injectors, #6 fuel plate, WH1C with external 38mm wastegate running 30psi), NV4500 with 1-⅜" input shaft, SBC Con-O clutch, NP205, HAD, 4.10 D61/14BFF spinning 37" Nitto Exo's

"I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive."
MaxPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #1316
notchbackgta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
If I have a warping issue I may see about installing some kind of Wilwood rotor/hat assembly in place of the OE crap.
I never thought about that, thanks for making me spend more money! Looks like Wilwood sells two front hats for the 8 on 6.5...
Old 12-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #1317
MaxPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
I never thought about that, thanks for making me spend more money! Looks like Wilwood sells two front hats for the 8 on 6.5...
I doubt the BS is correct for stock calipers though.
1991 V1500 Blazer (Silverado), 5.9L 12V P-pumped Cummins (5x .012 sac injectors, #6 fuel plate, WH1C with external 38mm wastegate running 30psi), NV4500 with 1-⅜" input shaft, SBC Con-O clutch, NP205, HAD, 4.10 D61/14BFF spinning 37" Nitto Exo's

"I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive."
MaxPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #1318
notchbackgta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
I doubt the BS is correct for stock calipers though.
the offset was close, like .05" difference from stock, but it doesn't look like Wilwood sells a rotor for that hat really. The only rotor for that hat was 16" and like $400 each. I did find a company that sells a complete Wilwood based kit for the 60. It said for Ford, but should work. I think it was around $1600 for a 13" rotor setup with FSLI calipers. I would prefer a floating caliper though as the fixed brake setup I had on my Firebird squealed real bad. Looks like a lot of people use a Ford caliper with a 2002ish Chvy 2500 rotor, but they all made their own brackets, which are fairly straight forward. I would go that route if I ever get that far. I guess I'll stick with stock replacement stuff for now and if I ever get the itch I'll probably go with portal axles on the vehicle instead

PS, I love your avatar, that show Archer is hilarious
Old 01-02-2017, 03:15 AM   #1319
mosesburb
I had a V-8

So at some point, I get sold an idea that an awning would be a great addition to the truck. While I am not debating that, I am wondering how sane I was when I decided to act upon the process of adding an awning and its required equipment. Meh, enough whining, let's go already. (Not all of this is in chronological order)

I started by finding some brackets that look at home on the truck. Then I started a plan for a roof rack to support the awning:

After I got a general idea, I could purchase a pile of steel and start laying out locations of components on the rack. For the side rails that mount the rack to the aluminum brackets I welded sleeves through the rails to provide a stout, crush resistant mounting for the rack, and eventually awning, as well as prevent rust streaks from an unsealed hole:

Now I can lay out some crossmember locations:

I decided that it would be a good idea to add some sort of provisions to tie things down to this rack. What to use?? There are a bazillion and one different types of commercially available mounting strips and tabs and tie down mounting systems. I looked at several and while many had some great attributes, they all had something working against them. One thing I did not like is most all of them are proprietary. If you need more mounting tabs you have to buy them from that company via a distributor etc. This brings a possibility of a company going out of business and leaving no support for your track system. Cost is another downfall. None of the commercial systems are even remotely close to cheap. Maybe they are worth every penny, but adding all this together and the limited vendors/availability, I kept looking. One thing I have noticed over several decades is the majority of commercial van trucks, freight trailers and moving trucks use what is called E-Track. This stuff has been around for almost ever, is very durable, very strong, available almost everywhere and, with a little effort, can be found for very reasonable prices. That's a whole bunch of win right there. It does have some cons. It is typically not as light as some of those other systems and it is typically a bit bulkier than the fancier setups (it doesn't look as cool either...). Cheap, durable, strong and available. Kind of fits the image of this entire build. I'll take it. I found a seller on fleabay that sold a decent sized assortment of rings and ring straps for about fifty bucks. I made a jig for my plasma cutter and started making E-Track holes in my roof rack:

Then, after a bunch of research on weight per square foot, I added the expanded metal for "flooring"

So I can start working on the awning support at this point. Like tie downs, there are a bunch of awning styles out there. The most common, and easiest/cheapest is a style that has support rods at the outer end and has support ropes to ground stakes that hold everything tight. This setup is fine, but I remember my tent camping days trying to pound stakes into ground that is more rock than soil. No thanks. I finally settle on a design like a buddy of mine has, but is too small. I take some Ideas from his and design out everything he doesn't like and enlarge it to a more appropriate size.

Arms and end supports:

So at this point I pay a bunch of money for another crappy powder coat job (from a different place) and it comes back white, but with no surface prep done, so all of my notes written in Sharpie marker are still visible. Unfortunately, I installed this at night and didn't notice until the next day. They offered to redo it, but taking it back off and having someone transport it to and from the place and then reassemble the people to help reinstall it, I decided to just live with it. Those TV shows never show the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to get things right. Anyway, it is white now and the awning arms are black:

At this point it is ready for the canvas to be made and turn it into an awning. Unfortunately, this process was out of my control as it was being handled by a friend of a friend and scheduling work times was extremely challenging and much time elapsed without canvas on my awning (see recent post camping outside Bryce Canyon with a tarp on the arms). So, in the mean time, the truck still lives its normal life doing all of the "truck" things it always does. One night I woke up to the smell of hot electrical in my house. I determined it was my evaporative cooler and promptly shut it down. I was tempted to just junk the cooler and only use air conditioning instead, but I really like the evap cooling, so i decided to replace it. Enter new roof rack with tie down points:

So, after much time and gnashing of teeth, the canvas work was finally in progress. We had a bit of a time finding the specific canvas the guy required. He would not use any of the synthetic/semi-synthetic materials like Sunbrella etc. He did not like the way the holes poked by the needle of the sewing machine weather in those materials so we had to find specific weight canvas for it. It was a bit of a challenge and we didn't find the color I wanted (tan), but that ended up not being a big deal in the end. The workmanship on the canvas was phenomenal. This is not what the guy does for a living, nor does he do anything like this normally, but he had great ideas and methods for doing things all over the awning and removable walls. All of the edges and seams are true and square and finished. No making a hem and zigzag it. Everything has the end welting on it. all of the seams are reinforced as are the corners and any other stress points. I will admit I was getting very impatient, but when all was said and done, I was VERY pleased with the results. Now I don't have any pics of it set up in use as I used it for the first time the other night in the dark and rain, but I have some pics from when it was being crafted.

The awning has three walls that attach under the outer edge flap with big lunky brass zippers. The awning can be used without walls or with any, or all, of the walls attached.

Front shot:

One thing not pictured is a "consumable" travel bag that the awning fits into up on the roof rack and has another big lunky brass zipper on it. The green canvas of it has already faded to a tan-ish color and looks good. I spent a bunch of time researching waterproofing for the canvas which already has some water resistance properties by default and spent a bunch of time and money on this wonder liquid for the awning and transit bag. I can say it passed the test the other night by beading water off it like a freshly waxed paint job.

So all in all I am very pleased with the whole setup and so far haven't found anything I would have done differently.

It is easy to set up and take down (more challenging in the rain though).
Old 01-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #1320
Average Joe

Wow! That awning is NICE!!! Good job!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #1321
piratexpress1369a

That's awesome..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #1322
lower50's

That looks fantastic!!!! Where did you get and what brand are the clamps used to hold your roof rack on? Also do you have a close up of the pivots for the arms of your awning? Thanks
Old 01-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #1323
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice awning! I bet you have a lot of time in finding all the stuff to make it happen. That is good you found a friend of a friend to do the actual sewing building of the canvas. We just got quotes for some custom camper awnings and holly cow those people are nuts.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:55 AM   #1324
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Wow! That awning is NICE!!! Good job!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a View Post
That's awesome..
Thank you!!

Quote:
That looks fantastic!!!! Where did you get and what brand are the clamps used to hold your roof rack on? Also do you have a close up of the pivots for the arms of your awning? Thanks
Thanks!! The brackets are Quick-n-easy brand and I bought hem from NRS.com. I don't know if I have a pic or not. The ends of the arms are 1" .250 wall DOM tubing with the 1" square tubing welded to it. They fit into simple brackets that allow a 1/2" bolt to pass through and act as a hinge pin.

Quote:
Very nice awning! I bet you have a lot of time in finding all the stuff to make it happen. That is good you found a friend of a friend to do the actual sewing building of the canvas. We just got quotes for some custom camper awnings and holly cow those people are nuts.
Thanks man. Yeah, a bunch of time and a bunch of money too. The guy really did fantastic work for what I feel was an extremely reasonable price. That being said it was still an expensive deal with all of the materials etc. For example; there is over 30' of big lunky brass zippers on this thing. I haven't even come close to getting my money's worth out of it yet, but it sure was nice the other night in the rain.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 AM   #1325
spacedebris

Quote:

http://search.nrs.com/search?w=quick%20n%20easy

to save some searching if anyone is interested.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote