The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Another hydro boost vs power disc brake thread

Sorry if this is been discussed time and time again. I've searched and read through threads pertaining to this subject but quite haven't found what I'am looking for.
My question is - is it worth putting hydro boost into a pickup that won't be used for towing? My reason for asking is I'm putting a BBC into my 1/2 ton so I'm looking for space under the hood is basically the only reason why I'm wanting this. I'am putting 13" discs all around so I need to purchase either a power booster or hydro boost system as my pickup originally had drum brakes.
So since I have to add a system anyway which one should I do? Am I going to make enough vacuum with my engine? What is the price difference in the two systems? Is one system more technical to install than the other?

Thanks,
Ryan
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Another hydro boost vs power disc brake thread

I put hydro into mine, mainly because I was worried about vacuum issues with my cam. It was also easier than fitting a large booster on the firewall they way mine is setup. I like the braking force it offers. Its a little bit of a pain to configure at first imo but thats only at first.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
ryans69chevy

How did you go about figuring for how much vacuum your cam will produce? Are you happy with the hydro boost? Doesn't seem like it costs anything more than a power booster setup... Did you price both setups before making a decision? Or did you always have your heart set on the hydro??
Old 02-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I started with manual brakes, so my setup was going to incur the cost of a booster one way or the other. Most folks build HB setups from junkyard parts, but don't realize you can rebuild them 85% of the way with a parts kit. HB setups get expensive if you start to look at parts-store unit for a booster for one.

I just went to a junkyard, took the booster and the master and the rod. I came home and rebuilt the base unit in like an afternoon or so. Made a bracket from the factory mounting bracket, put it all on the firewall. I did end up cutting the HB master cyl rod, and welding on the adjustable rod-end that I had from my '66, so I could adjust the pedal throw etc.

Lines were a pain, but I found flare on ends for my box, and cut my previous power steering lines off, flaring the new ends onto the hard line.

Took a few weekends to do including the hoses etc, but it could be done much shorter if you didn't make as many changes as we did. My truck has a completely moved brake pedal setup, so it needed the adjustable pedal end which just added some time. Total cost was like $300. I can lock my Wilwoods and rear brakes, with my fat rear tires, without any difficulty. Only downside is to do it right, adding a cooler is a good idea, and potentially you'll need to mess with idle speed because it adds a load on the accessories/serpentine drive.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
ryans69chevy

That might be what I should do then... I was thinking of just ordering a reman one from rockauto and then be done, but I read somewhere where someone ordered one and it didn't come with the rod and spring between the mc and hb so they had to get a unit from a junkyard and swap those parts into the new unit.

I'm just curious how you go about figuring how much vacuum your engine will produce... I've got a xtreme energy comp cam 282/288 going in my BBC. Is there an easy way to tell to see if it's gonna be enough if I did want to do a power booster?
Old 03-06-2016, 02:08 AM   #6
andrewmp6

You need 18 inches of vacuum to run a brake booster,Its hard to say what your engine will have tell you throw a vacuum gauge on it.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:36 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

As Andrew said, easiest way to tell what your vacuum is, is a vacuum gauge. Pretty cheap, and they just plug to any vacuum line. You or a friend watches it, idle and see what it is...then rev and do the same. If you make "almost" enough, a vacuum ball (resevoir) could also be an option. I just think they are ugly.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
andrewmp6

Another option is abs power brake makes a electric brake booster http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ehpm.html
Old 03-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
ryans69chevy

Yea I'm trying to go for a clean look. I've seen the abs website but can't find the prices which usually means pretty spendy stuff vs the other options like vacuum and hb. Anyone know the price of one of those electric brake systems??

I suppose this gives me another reason to get my engine fully done and mounted so I can start it up and see actual numbers. Still don't have the money for my transmission so I haven't been able to put my engine in...
Old 03-07-2016, 02:34 AM   #10
andrewmp6

Email them for pricing on stuff.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #11
ryans69chevy

Called them just now. $1250 for the system without the lines. I'm not looking at putting that amount into it so I'm sticking with either vacuum or hydroboost. Back to square one! Lol which one of these should I do!?
Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

IMO if your spending the money, I think its hard to beat hydroboost. Compared to the $1250 for electric you were quoted, you can put together an HB setup for $2-500, it'll just depend on how good you are at sourcing parts, and if anything needs rebuilding. Its not direct bolt on, but I don't think its beyond the reach of someone comfortable diving into the deep end of the toolbox.

If you really are painstaking, you can use larger sections of hardline on the boost tubing, and bend it all nice and even with the brake lines. Its tedious, but its a really clean look. Mine aren't "manicured" like that, but I don't consider my HB really intrusive in my engine bay.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #13
bs46488

I'll put my vote in for hydro. I did it on my Nova and now on the C10. I put both my kits together like BR3W and pieced it all out, made a bracket, etc.

My neighbor has a Nova and did the vacuum canister. It was so ugly. He also complained about poor brake performance and eventually swapped to hydro also.

You can buy full bolt on hydro kits for like $500 from a variety of vendors.

I have a BBC in my C10. I used factory lines from my local auto parts store. I just had to re-bend the ends a little, nothing major.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #14
ryans69chevy

Hey thanks for the opinions guys! I think I am just gonna end up going hydro as well. Do you guys have a pic or two of the engine bay?? I'm curious as to what it all looks like especially with a big block.

I might actually tackle your suggestion br3w and bend my own hard liness since I'm doing my brakes.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Here's a few of mine, I blew the motor up, so I hope the pics still count
Attached Images

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:05 AM   #16
rpatowers

I put hydroboost in my 72 4 x 4 two years ago and I am very happy with it. I was tired of having to stand on the brake pedal to get my truck to stop when I was hauling my ATV. No such problem any longer. I could be happier with the looks of my particular hydroboost kit - it extends way too far into the engine compartment. I like the unit that BossHogg69 shows in the picture above. Very clean and compact. I will probably change mine in the future.
rpatowers is offline   Reply With Quote