The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 02:27 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Firewall routing questions and points distributor wiring for the purests 71-C10 A/C

This was converted to HEI, and the guy ran the wire through speedometer cable hole. Same thing for a kill switch (never mind two 10 ga. wires for a CB). Won't fly with the rebuild. I'd like this truck returned to its factory glory less the HEI, and would appreciate any input on.......

A. Where/how do you recommend routing the HEI wire? I believe they should be 10 gauge wire. Is there another spot for say a 12 gauge wire (e.g., kill switch)? I guess I'm looking for "spares" through existing grommets, which may not be an option, but probably is because.......

B. This truck doesn't have a tach or vacuum gauge, and I'm not likely to install either. Where were these routed through the cab?

C. How were the original distributors wired?....the power, not firing order. I imagine they ran to the ignition right? If it came through the cab then where?

Descriptions work, but pics appreciated as well.

Thank you
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 AM   #2
Gromit

Re: Firewall routing questions and points distributor wiring for the purests 71-C10 A

My two cents is to bite the bullet and spring for the American Autowire Factory Fit engine wiring harness.

You can specify your exact features (mostly motor, trans, distributor A/C or Non) and it comes with all new grommets and channels and hold-downs and resistor wires all in the right location.

I did restore my dash and rear light harnesses at much effort but the engine harness was so cooked and spliced over the years - believe me it is well worth the $109 You can easily spend a couple days trying to figure out and restore a dusted harness..

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...harness-137291
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Ironangel

Re: Firewall routing questions and points distributor wiring for the purests 71-C10 A

This might help http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/...c2a8064d_o.jpg
The HEI can be wired from one of the ignition unfused terminals located on the fuse block. Heres a pic of the fuse block with highlighted markings,
I ran my HEI, Tach, and rev limiter wiring through the grommet used for the oil pressure line, it has room for added wiring.
Most of the underhood wiring comes from a terminal block located near the master cylinder hydrovac canister below the speedometer cable outlet.
Sorry for the big pics, the factory distributors had a resister wire used to keep from burning up the points, you cannot use that wire for HEI distributors because the resister wire limits voltage. You must run a dedicated 10 or 12 gauge wire that supply's a full 12 volts to the HEI. The unfused terminals on the fuse block do this as well as being keyed through the ignition switch.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 01-11-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
My two cents is to bite the bullet and spring for the American Autowire Factory Fit engine wiring harness.

You can specify your exact features (mostly motor, trans, distributor A/C or Non) and it comes with all new grommets and channels and hold-downs and resistor wires all in the right location.

I did restore my dash and rear light harnesses at much effort but the engine harness was so cooked and spliced over the years - believe me it is well worth the $109 You can easily spend a couple days trying to figure out and restore a dusted harness..

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...harness-137291
Thanks for that. I hear the same applies to M&H wiring as well. I am planning to rewire all. Hold downs as in wire harness retainers?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
Ironangel

Here's another helpful link, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=454737
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

Or you could use the wire location for the coil on the factory wiring harness and not worry about getting through the firewall...replace the resistance wire with regular wire...why doesn't anybody think of the easiest method?

Find coil wire in engine harness, squeeze terminal to release(blade side), get new terminal or solder new wire to old terminal. No need to go through the firewall with some hokey method like through the speedo cable grommet. You will thank yourself if you ever have to tear down the truck or troubleshoot it....so will the next guy.

Don't forget to unfasten and tape up yellow wire on starter relay terminal as it leads up to a splice in the original coil wire.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks for the responses. I have to pull the wires from the cab yet. I'll wait for that to soak this in, so I can speak somewhat intelligently with any further questions. I'm getting a complete wiring kit, which I believe includes new plugs (e.g., firewall plug). From what I understand there's a provision for HEI.

This no longer has a points distributor, so there's not a splice to the coil. The only yellow wire was butt connected to a redish wire from the RH (truck side) portion of the fire wall plug. The yellow was to the starter solenoid. I believe the location of the red wire on the plug is what the book shows as orange/purple. No sign of a orange/purple wire.

Difficult to judge what's right when tampered. Thank you.