The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2020, 10:28 PM   #1
prodjay10

Copper radiator falling apart

Why would the radiator be full of green corrosion on the inside? Every time I remove the hose, it the lower hose is full of green crud. It looks like it’s falling apart where the lower hose attaches.
Posted via Mobile Device
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Copper radiator falling apart

Copper? Or maybe brass?

Either way...
Copper turns green because of chemical reactions with the elements. ... Just as iron that is left unprotected in open air will corrode and form a flaky orange-red outer layer, copper that is exposed to the elements undergoes a series of chemical reactions that give the shiny metal a pale green outer layer called a patina.

Why Brass, Bronze and Copper Turn Green
But both are types of oxides. When you see that green layer on these metals (usually called patina or verdigris) it's because of a chemical reaction. The copper has reacted with oxygen, water, and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Also
https://blog.amsoil.com/why-is-there...n-my-radiator/
Low-cost “green” coolants are the source of several problems, such as radiator sludge and scale deposits. For these reasons, most vehicle manufacturers have moved away from these coolants. And so should you. One solution is to formulate the coolant using organic-acid technology (OAT).

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 04-15-2020 at 12:31 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
prodjay10

You're probably right, however, I've never had this happen before.

I do use the cheap green supertech coolant available at wally world. That stuff goes in all my vehicles. I even used it on this truck before the swap. None of my vehicles (2 civics, 1 toyota, 1 chevy) have had this issue. Just my chevy after the swap. I'm talking over 250k combined mileage using this coolant and it's always been clean inside anywhere coolant touches. Sparkling clean. Never even had a failed water pump.

Looks like this but inside the radiator.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2020, 01:17 AM   #4
prodjay10

What you think the possibility is that I have some electrolysis happening?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...m-voltage.html
Old 04-15-2020, 03:29 AM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Very possible...
did you use distilled water or just tap water...could be a combination of everything your using..aluminum engine,brass radiator, cheap coolant, water...
I'm betting your other vehicles dont have brass radiators

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #6
paul mora

All metals have a electrical value there is a scale on the internet. Gold for example is at one end of the scale that’s why you never see it corrode. When you put two different metals together and provide the correct path for current to flow you get corrosion. There is internal and external corrosion. In ancient history we would fill our radiators with water and we would see rust. Now we use a coolant that acts as a corrosion inhibitor to treat or stop the corrosion. That is why there are different coolants for different engine blocks. This moisture inside pipelines cause failures if they are not treated properly.
The anode he suggested you use is a is at the other end of the electrical value scale and acts as a sacrificial metal to protect the engine block. You see the same problem at water heater connection if the are not insulated properly The car battery work on the same principle. As they’re dissimilar metal plate corrode till the battery is gone or no longer holds a change and you need a new battery. When you but a new battery with a three year warranty the plates are designed to last just under the 3 years so you take it back under warranty. They sell you a new battery at a prorated cost

Last edited by paul mora; 04-15-2020 at 08:20 PM.
paul mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
lutronjim

Wouldn't a sacrificial radiator cap (mentioned in reference article) need the anode to be grounded? I looked at a picture of one that appears to have anode dangled from the cap by a wire.

Hadn't thought of it before but I doubt radiator is grounded or at best have a bad ground. Mounted in rubber and connected to by rubber hoses.

I kinda thought an aluminum LS engine with aluminum radiator being like metals wouldn't have any galvanic problems.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:24 AM   #8
prodjay10

Hopefully it didn't mess up the rest of the radiator. I'm gonna ground it to see if that will help.

I did buy distilled water for the radiator. That I know of, it's the first time I've used aluminium and brass at the same time.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
paul mora

There is no need for a ground. The cap makes a electrical contact with the radiator and the with the rest of the truck similar to the ground system on your truck The liquid in the cooling system act as a electrolyte for the current to flow off the anode through the electrolyte to the metal parts in your cooling system (engine block). It then goes through the ground system to the cap and off the anode. This is a complete electrical circuit or corrosion control system protecting the cooling system from internal corrosion by corrosion control. This is can take the place of a coolant that chemically stops corrosion (green stuff)

Distilled water will not make a big difference. The water provides current flow and the the distilled will not effect the the resistance in the water to slow the current flow. You should flush the crap out of your cooling system and replace the coolant