The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
lux

Paint Care & Ceramic Paint Coating

Well,,, After almost a year I may get my truck back from paint and body. I don't know much about care for new paint, any suggestions will be appreciated?
Does anyone know much about ceramic paint coatings? What should I know and are they as wonderful as advertised?

Thanks
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
AZ 67 C10

Re: Paint Care & Ceramic Paint Coating

I love my ceramic coating on my daily. Upfront cost is expensive but it makes washing and maintaining your paint effortless. It helps against UV rays, etching from natural acids (bird poop) and most other contaminants. It will not make your paint indestructible but I think it is a good investment to increase the longevity of your paint/clear coat and gives it a bit more shine than a non coated paint job.

Since your paint will be freshly done it should need very little prep to apply the ceramic. Find a reputable detailer who warranties their work as well as the ceramic product. My ceramic is warrantied for 5 years. There are different levels of ceramic coating based on their warranty usually. Longer the warranty=higher the cost.

I had my 2011 Duramax coated 2 years ago with SB3 Alpa which is a 5 year warranty. It took almost 8 hours of paint correction before the coating, which is basically a wash, iron remover wash, and tons of buffing. My truck sits outside year round in Phoenix, AZ and the ceramic is still holding up. I particularly like the ease of drying after I wash it because the water beads so well, and when its 110* out it dries fast! Ceramic coating on the windows is nice too.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #3
lux

Thanks AZ,
There are a lot of companies out there proclaiming the best coating ever, so I'll need to do some more reading and research.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Metamuffin

Great question. You can learn a lot about paint care on this website, CDN Paint. This industrial coating guide has information on the different properties to look for when buying a coating.

You're likely going to want an epoxy primer paired with whatever type of topcoat will get your desired look and feel.

Properties to look for...
  • Weather resistance
  • UV resistance
  • Water, oil, and chemical resistance

Ceramic coatings definitely a specific "look" and "feel" but make sure they resist weather, UV, water, oil, etc...or you might loose that sheen over time.

Good luck!
Metamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote