The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
harrij4

Question on Re-using Old Rear Seat Foam

Greetings! So, almost two years of searching and navigating the insane sellers wanting $1k for incomplete rotting carcasses, I finally sourced a 3rd row Burb seat in remarkable all-original condition (photo attached). Now, it's time to strip the suburban cover and apply a proper '72 black scroll cover.

Here's my question:

I plan to re-use the old foam since nobody is re-pouring and it appears to be in remarkable condition. But, I'm concerned that once the seat starts to get used it will rapidly break down and lose its shape / sag. Has anyone experienced this?

Also, I suspect it would be beneficial to sheath the OG foam with something robust (thin foam layer or batting). Has anyone done this? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Last edited by harrij4; 01-04-2021 at 06:12 PM.
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
Ptjsk

Re: Question on Re-using Old Rear Seat Foam

I don't know.....But if I was going to go ahead and replace the cover, I think I would definitely replace with quality foam at the same time.

The seat is approximately 49 years old, so why not replace it when you have it torn down.

Conversely, the rear seat of my '72 Jimmy is original. The cover is original as well as the foam inside. I didn't change with new upholstery simply because it's in such good condition.

The front seats (foam), were changed along with new covers. If, I were to change the rear seat cover, I would definitely order new foam as well.

JMO, but doesn't make it right!

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptjsk View Post
I don't know.....But if I was going to go ahead and replace the cover, I think I would definitely replace with quality foam at the same time.

The seat is approximately 49 years old, so why not replace it when you have it torn down.

Conversely, the rear seat of my '72 Jimmy is original. The cover is original as well as the foam inside. I didn't change with new upholstery simply because it's in such good condition.

The front seats (foam), were changed along with new covers. If, I were to change the rear seat cover, I would definitely order new foam as well.

JMO, but doesn't make it right!

Pat
But AFAIK nobody makes re-pour foam for the 1st gen rear seats...Right?
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
Backroads67

You can cut, glue and shape upholstery foam, it comes in different thicknesses, if it is not crumbling apart, hard or super soft it would be ok to use it. I would replace the burlap between the foam and frame.
40 Plymouth pickup

Backroads67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
72ironmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads67 View Post
You can cut, glue and shape upholstery foam, it comes in different thicknesses, if it is not crumbling apart, hard or super soft it would be ok to use it. I would replace the burlap between the foam and frame.
We just had rear seat foam built by our interior guy at his recommendation. If your interior guy is good he should be able to direct you. If it was me and it was going to see a lot of traffic, I would go new or beefed up some. Good luck.
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
hemi43

Just make your own from medium density foam. An electric meat carver and an angle grinder with 2"diameter 36 grit discs work great, and is less than a couple hour's work.
Attached Images

hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
A1971Blazer

I recovered the seats in my Blazer...the springs and foam in the front seats were shot.
When I took the cover off the rear seat, the foam was still in good condition so I just covered over it.
I assume that the rear seat never saw as much use as the front ones thus keeping it in good condition.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote