The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2021, 02:11 AM   #1
68ls1

Primary Power busbar for upgrades

So I am currently doing upgrades to my 72 C10, with a Holley Terminator Fuel Injection is first, then electric fans and Vintage air to follow. I believe these will all require a direct primary power feed. The pick up already has headlight wiring upgrade that has a direct feed from battery. If I have this correct I need a minimum of 4 primary feed sources, and was thinking of using the Bussmann LMI series, https://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...ries/index.htm to try and keep as tidy and effective as possible.

I am not very versed in auto electrics, so wondering if I am on the right track? Is there a better solution. How best to handle relays? Are there other items that will benefit from a direct power source, eg: fuel pump (Boyd Welding Aeromotive Stealth 340 In-Tank pump).

thanks Roger
68ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Primary Power busbar for upgrades

This is my usual recommendation. This comes out of a 90's era GM truck. GMT400 series? Around here $5~10 in a Pull-a-Part with the wires included. Advantage of this is the factory fusible links are already installed on the wires. The large coiled red wire is the alternator feed. If you haven't already, a larger alternator is in your future if you go through with your planned electrical additions.

There similar new solutions like your Eaton product if you can't find a yard pull. Be sure to allow for fuses or fusible links to keep a small electrical problem from becoming a 'replace the truck due to fire' problem.
Attached Images

Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
68ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
This is my usual recommendation. This comes out of a 90's era GM truck. GMT400 series? Around here $5~10 in a Pull-a-Part with the wires included. Advantage of this is the factory fusible links are already installed on the wires. The large coiled red wire is the alternator feed. If you haven't already, a larger alternator is in your future if you go through with your planned electrical additions.

There similar new solutions like your Eaton product if you can't find a yard pull. Be sure to allow for fuses or fusible links to keep a small electrical problem from becoming a 'replace the truck due to fire' problem.
Great info, but wishing I was in the USA, sorry lI should have made it clear I'm located down under. We are aware we just have to spend what it takes to get what we need. What I try to avoid is doing it twice. Truck in question

Name:  C10 in Hastings.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  50.4 KB
68ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ls1 View Post
Great info, but wishing I was in the USA, sorry lI should have made it clear I'm located down under. ....
Attachment 2071521
I figured that out from your location info. Always the chance you had a salvage yard close enough to be worthwhile or knew where a dead GMT-400 series truck was sitting. I think something similar is available new from Summit or Jegs but it won't include the OEM wires and fusible links.

Nice looking truck.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
weq92f

I went with this one. Fed it with 4 AWG from the Alt and connected it to the BAT with 4 AWG then connected everything to it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qdb-568102

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Primary Power busbar for upgrades

Nice ride you have sir! I just picked up one of the bus bars a few weeks ago out of the local yard. I didn't think about the wires. I cut them all off to make it easy to pull. Dang Now I need to go back and find another one!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:11 PM   #7
duramax55

dead parrot do you know the rating on these . They are like a fuse but no markings on them except numbers . I have a bunch of them so would be nice to know
duramax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #8
Dead Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax55 View Post
dead parrot do you know the rating on these . They are like a fuse but no markings on them except numbers . I have a bunch of them so would be nice to know
Amp rating for fusible links is hard to find. The general rule is the link is 4 gauge number sizes smaller then the wire it is protecting. So a 10 gauge wire is protected by a 14 gauge link. To further complicate things, links are often in metric (mm) sizes which you have to convert to the matching wire gauge size.

On my salvage finds, unless the use is obvious, like the alternator wire in the pic, I try to match the copper wire size to what the gizmo I am running power for recommends and then the OEM link should be the proper size.