The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
LEX

Thumbs down Spiders

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it's shop safety?

I was bitten by one a couple of years ago and it was nothing nice. A few months ago, a friend of the family was killed by a Black Widow that was hidden in the dash of an old Buick he was working on.

What are you guys using to kill bugs hidden inside your project? Just yesterday, I went underneath my truck and its getting thick with webs and eggs. I have my dash taken apart, but I don't want to just go and start spraying. I know some sprays leave a greasy residue.

I was thinking of getting a couple of foggers and setting them underneath the truck. Thoughts or suggestions?
LEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
hayhauler71

Re: Spiders

bug bomb roll up the windows throw it in and walk away. Up here not many bad bugs but when I see one I like to grab the hammer if possible
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Subscribed!!

I’m TERRIFIED of the things!

Yucky!Yucky!Yucky!
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Always a good idea to be wearing gloves rootin around in these old rigs. We don't typically have to worry about anything worse than yellow jackets. I don't think I could do this if I lived where there was a lot of spiders........I hate spiders.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Weasel Diesel

Well, I can't speak about how to keep them out of a car,... buy I had them bad in my garage. I tried sprays, bombs, ect. and still they lived. My neighbor is about as old as dirt, and I was telling him about it. He called me to the fence the next day with a shoebox. He said to take it into the garage and dump it out and the bugs & spiders would dissappear. I did it, and that was 5 years ago, and there are still NO bugs in my shop at all......What was in the box???? There were 5 little woodpile lizards that took off when I dumped it. He had caught them in his firewood pile.
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Can't blame those bugs!

Last edited by ETsC10; 03-24-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler71 View Post
bug bomb roll up the windows throw it in and walk away. Up here not many bad bugs but when I see one I like to grab the hammer if possible
I bug bomb all the trucks I buy for parts with 2 small cans each. We have the Brown Recluse spiders here so I'm not taking any chances
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
LEX

The day before I started this thread, I crawled underneath my truck without noticing the webs. When my arm rubbed against them, I flew from under my truck so fast, I hit my head on the rocker. I'm working inside the dash with wires so I can't use gloves. Im going to try a smoke bomb or 2.

Just thinking about it makes makes me itch all over.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Lower

Go to a coop and get you some spray to put around the outside of your shop and around all the doors.

Ol Green 1970 K10ish LWB,454/400/205, been in family since new.
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516056
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Dunenutt
Newbee

I use this everywhere around my house, and it kills everything that crawls in Arizona.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/de...jar-p-532.html

It's a powder that you mix in a pump sprayer. It dries as a powder also. Safe around animals once it drys.

When I tore down the Blazer, I used it. I sprayed every nook and crany of that thing. Found lots of dead bugs, but not one alive. Even scorpions!
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
shawno72
C/10 junkie

I just bite them back.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

I was biten last spring by a Brown Recluse..it was just a sore red spot at first but after about 4 days it was pitch black and almost 2 inches across with a swollen red area around it that measured about 6 across. Went to the Med Clinic and the Docter didnt know what to say at first..all he kept saying was "thats impressive!!"..anyway he wouldnt touch it! Said I needed to go to E.R. It had to be lanced, dug out and packed...it took monthes to heal and you can still see the spot today. Needless to say I will be be spider bombing my shop soon..we had the mildest winter here on record which means lots of bugs , spiders and ticks! this year.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
LEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN View Post
I was biten last spring by a Brown Recluse..it was just a sore red spot at first but after about 4 days it was pitch black and almost 2 inches across with a swollen red area around it that measured about 6 across. Went to the Med Clinic and the Docter didnt know what to say at first..all he kept saying was "thats impressive!!"..anyway he wouldnt touch it! Said I needed to go to E.R. It had to be lanced, dug out and packed...it took monthes to heal and you can still see the spot today. Needless to say I will be be spider bombing my shop soon..we had the mildest winter here on record which means lots of bugs , spiders and ticks! this year.
Yikes! Glad you're ok.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
SeventyOne

My garage mostly has daddly long legs (harmless) but occasionally I see a nasty black spider and assume it's a black widow. They get killed quickly.

I like the lizard idea!
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
stef85

awsome thread, since my garage was built in the 40'sm its not exactly.. "sealed" from the elements. i hate spiders
stef85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

I live on the wet side of Washington state and I think the Brown Recluse is the worst spider here. Never seen one…yet. I deal with paper wasps or hornets in old cars outside probably the most. The trick with them is to visit the car in the early morning when the dew is heavy. The wetness in the air keeps them from being able to fly. They walk around a little, flicking their wings, but stay grounded. Mice are probably the worst nuisance. I pulled a heater box out once to change the heater core and had one jump out at me. He was like a little supper Ninja. I have never shot out of a car so fast. I like to think it was more about being surprised then being scared of a tiny one ounce mammal.
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
Dunenutt
Newbee

"He was like a little supper Ninja. I have never shot out of a car so fast. I like to think it was more about being surprised then being scared of a tiny one ounce mammal."

I had a similar experience with a Badger once, except I really was scared! I believe I peed just a little bit...
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #18
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
I had a similar experience with a Badger once, except I really was scared! I believe I peed just a little bit...
I would have had to change my shorts if a Badger jumped out
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #19
Number21

I always keep a trigger start torch handy in the shop...anything that moves gets cooked!

On a side note, don't spray them with carb cleaner before trying to torch them.

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill,
and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #20
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number21 View Post
I always keep a trigger start torch handy in the shop...anything that moves gets cooked!

On a side note, don't spray them with carb cleaner before trying to torch them.
Yum! Eight-legged Flambé!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey72 View Post
I pulled a heater box out once to change the heater core and had one jump out at me. He was like a little supper Ninja. I have never shot out of a car so fast. I like to think it was more about being surprised then being scared of a tiny one ounce mammal.

HAHAHA, I had one of those ninja mice jump out at me when I was younger! LOL I was just about asleep one night, and heard it rustling around in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. I wanted to see if I could find where the little bugger got in there, so I was sitting on the floor digging around in there. Dang thing was up on the pipes, and launched out, landed on my shirt, ran up on my shoulder, up and over, and down the inside of the back of my shirt. I woke the whole house yelling, and tore the cabinet off the wall using it to jump up off the floor. Stupid mouse had booked all the way down my back and disappeared. Set out several traps the next day, and made him pay for messing with me. Once in a while my mom and little brothers still tease me about being scared of a little mouse, and that was 17-18 years ago! LOL

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
old Chevy guy

Was bitten by what the doctor said was most likely a brown recluse at a job sight and it wasnt pretty. Never saw the spider but had a sore spot on the back of my leg where I couldn't see it. When my wife came home from work at midnight it was a huge welt and black and blue. Went to the urgent care the next day and they put me on anti biotics I think,but I got a lot sicker before it got better. Fever,chills, achy with flue like symptoms. Basically felt like getting hit by a bus. I was still feeling the affects two weeks later. I used to have a live and let live policy with things but after that if I see a spider I smash him flat!
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I like to spray them with paint and watch them run around on fire. When I was younger we had horses. With horses come flies, and lots of spiders. I used to shoot them point blank with my pellet gun pumped up to 10. Even without a pellet, just the air blast vaporizes them. When I got older, we were remodeling a house. I had just hung all the sheetrock and a huge wolf spider ran across the wall. I got the pellet gun out, pumped it to ten, and let him have it.......nothing. It just fluffed up the hair on his back. After that I loaded it up and had some target practice. After missing him a dozen times, It took 2 direct shots to put him down. Big bastard.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
IndyNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey72 View Post
I would have had to change my shorts if a Badger jumped out
was it the honey badger? Cause he doent give a sh*t..
(if you guys havent a clue as to who the honeybadger is, youtube it)

After reading this, I will be bombing my truck as soon as we get home!!

Skilled on principle, Union by choice
IndyNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #25
ls1nova71

Brown recluse spiders are HARD to get rid of. I usually do the 'smash em on sight' method. I've tried sprays, bombs and even the hokey old timer remedy of putting hedge apples around, and they are still in my garage. I've read the only way to get rid of them is to remove their food source, by killing the bugs. Which would work in theory, but I know for a fact that they can live for months with no food or water. I don't know how they can, but they can. I caught one and had it in a cup with a lid on it in my garage for a long time, and would check on it from time to time, and at times it appeared dead, but shaking the cup it would wake right back up! I'm sure someone somewhere would find this experiment inhumane, but I F'ing hate these things!!

That said, I just got done painting my bed the other day in my garage with no exhaust fan (long story, involves a crabby neighbor and the city, need I say more?) and the garage was almost uninhabitable when I got done spraying, then a day or so later, I find this walking out in the open!!!! It's been in the cup for maybe 4 days, I'll post back on here when it's no longer alive, probably be several months.

BTW this is a not so reclusive Brown Recluse, that is between quarter and half dollar size with it's legs spread out.
Attached Images

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote