The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
conoco

Thoughts on Plasma Cutting old metal out vs Other methods

Just trying to get thoughts an opinions on the use of a plasma cutter when cutting out the old floor pans and inner rockers or other areas for that matter. I am about to start this job and for me it seems like it would be a lot quicker and I would be able to get it strait every time with my plasma cutter. I just worry about blasting through and cutting something I don't want cut. I have a pretty sweet little strait edge/ line forming tool for my plasma cutter that allows me to cut in a number of directions other than strait. I think I could cut these much cleaner in some areas using this method rather than an angle grinder or something else. Anyone have thought or experience using just a plasma cutter on this type of work?

I will also be using a combo of butt welds and lap welds with a flange while I tig all this up with silicon bronze. Thanks for the input.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Thoughts on Plasma Cutting old metal out vs Other methods

I use various tools depending on what panel needs to be cut out.
Also how close it is to other panels.
Some panels I carefully cut out for future referance
Plasma for stuff that's not so close to rockers and door opening.
Spot-weld drills for separating panels and dissecting them.
Dremel tool with cutoff wheel for close quarters so it do not slice into another panel next to it.

Link for drills I like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spot-Weld-C...gAAOSw2XFUgZut
Name:  dr.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  dremel1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  52.3 KB

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
I use various tools depending on what panel needs to be cut out.
Also how close it is to other panels.
Some panels I carefully cut out for future referance
Plasma for stuff that's not so close to rockers and door opening.
Spot-weld drills for separating panels and dissecting them.
Dremel tool with cutoff wheel for close quarters so it do not slice into another panel next to it.

Link for drills I like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spot-Weld-C...gAAOSw2XFUgZut
Attachment 2076325

Attachment 2076326

It never dawned on me to use my Dremel to cut some of this stuff. I have some cut off wheels for it ( They are pretty tiny) and will try them for the tight areas.

I was thinking about plasma cutting the floor pan sections out along with the rockers. I am replacing the inner rockers with the floor extensions built in and then of course the outer rocker and the front floor brace. Just by looking at it, there really isn't much around that area I am concerned about cutting through on .

Maybe it is time to add to some of my tools. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Your Welcome.
If you cut out a-lot at one time,
It is a good idea to brace the cab.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #5
HAULIN' IT

Personally I cant see "plasma cutter & tig welding" relating to cab part replacement, in the same post or as my tools of choice for the job.
The floor pans are the only parts that really have any reason to be seam welded generally (besides the top of the rockers & cab corners). Everything else is typically replaced to/at a flange so no "cutting along the edge" is really needed.

Ive owned a plasma cutter for 20+ years & dont get me wrong...I use it, but it really has little purpose in auto body repair work in my opinion. I find myself using it mostly for fabrication work. In fact Im not sure Ive ever used it on a car part I was keeping/re-using. I look at it as a glorified torch & I want better of myself than that cut. Plus you have the dross on the back edge, grinding smooth, ect that needs done.

On to the tig part. With replacing rusty metal, lapping panels, ect. things aren't typically REAL clean, clean enough for a tig. Weld-through primer ect. isnt going to be friendly with a tig or is plug welding really for that mater.

Take your time with a cut-off wheel, grinder & spot-weld cutter...maybe a saws-all in places, then grab a mig & get to it would be my advice.
Silicon bronze on the top of the cab corners & Rocker seams would be fine/good, but that is about all I would use the tig for. My Two Cents, Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Personally I cant see "plasma cutter & tig welding" relating to cab part replacement, in the same post or as my tools of choice for the job.
The floor pans are the only parts that really have any reason to be seam welded generally (besides the top of the rockers & cab corners). Everything else is typically replaced to/at a flange so no "cutting along the edge" is really needed.

Ive owned a plasma cutter for 20+ years & dont get me wrong...I use it, but it really has little purpose in auto body repair work in my opinion. I find myself using it mostly for fabrication work. In fact Im not sure Ive ever used it on a car part I was keeping/re-using. I look at it as a glorified torch & I want better of myself than that cut. Plus you have the dross on the back edge, grinding smooth, ect that needs done.

On to the tig part. With replacing rusty metal, lapping panels, ect. things aren't typically REAL clean, clean enough for a tig. Weld-through primer ect. isnt going to be friendly with a tig or is plug welding really for that mater.

Take your time with a cut-off wheel, grinder & spot-weld cutter...maybe a saws-all in places, then grab a mig & get to it would be my advice.
Silicon bronze on the top of the cab corners & Rocker seams would be fine/good, but that is about all I would use the tig for. My Two Cents, Lorne
Agreed. Tig is not a fan of dirty old vehicles. If you are making your own headers, fabricating brackets or mounts, sure.
Plasma cutters are just a refined version of an oxy/gas torch. They have their place, but body panel replacement? Not for me, there are cleaner ways. Maybe, to get large sections of floor just gone, to be out of the way, then refine the edges with the other methods from above. But I wouldn't invest in one specifically for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #7
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post

I appreciate the suggestions, I was mainly just asking about if anyone was using plasma as there tool of choice for cutting stuff out. I understand your points on that.
As far as tig, I enjoy taking the time it takes to tig weld body panels. Mig is the easier choice by far, but I can get much better results using tig. Its all bout patience, copper backing and pulse settings!! but mainly making sure your pieces are a good fit and everything lines up where it should. I believe it is easier to plug weld with a tig personally, specially with a plug weld cup and copper, i have always just gotten better results that way. I have never used my plasma cutter on auto body either. But, as much as I use it for other things it just seemed like a good choice, specially if I was cutting open areas and didn't have to worry about pieces being behind it. Again, I completely get where you are coming from suggestion I mig weld. It s a great tool to have and use for auto body I just really enjoy Tig welding. Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2021, 10:49 PM   #8
Myself

Man, my little 110 wire welder is awesome on sheet metal. I can turn the heat down and get my speed just right and hardly have anything to grind away.
Myself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #9
LT1 Burb

I have done plenty of my own rust repair and have never felt the need for a plasma cutter, to me its more of a hazard because all the molten material shooting everywhere.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:22 AM   #10
SkidmoreGarage

I'm not a seasoned expert, but I really liked using a plasma cutter to cut out my transmission tunnel. I also used it for my main floor pan cut. If setup correctly, the cut is very clean and takes seconds rather than minutes. The plasma is also great for removing stubborn rivets. Just center the cutter on the rivet head and hold the trigger for a few seconds. It should hollow out the center enough to allow for a punch (air hammer) to finish the job.

But the truth is, in body work, the cutting is less than 1% of the job. There is no need to overthink it in my opinion, just use what you have- which sounds like a plasma cutter!

And if you cut out the floor pan in preparation for fitting an extension, try not to cut through the cab support arms and flanges. The plasma will cut through anything.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:37 PM   #11
hugger6933

I use plasma cutter, die grinder, 4.5 inch cutoff blade in my angle grinder, recip saw with two different length blades,hammer& chisel. Anything I can use. I used a cab corner this week off of a rolled over 06 crew cab I am rebuilding I have a replacement cab getting prepped for it I had some one "help" me clean up the side lot of my shop and he pushed the cab around by its corner so it need replacing I cut the old one off the rolled cab with a recipsaw then took it inside the shop and used the plasma cutter to cut away the inner structure leaving me with just the outside sheet metal. I also used a double ended 1/8 inch bit and a step bit to drill out the spot welds. I have one of those stupid high dollar spot weld cutters[ I think I paid about $450 for it] that is about the only tool I didnt use for this job. But the long story short use what ever you have to to make it more fun and easier[ and make the job better and faster] that is why we bought those tools in the first place . Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote