The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Question 355 ?'s

I am picking up a 91 355 from another member. But I have a few questions about it. It has center bolt heads.
1) I need an intake for it. Do all SBC intakes fit it? (excluding vortec of course)
2) Same questions for headers
3) Is that motor considered a Gen 1 or Gen 2 SBC? (trying to shop Summit by motor for pricing)
Sorry, I am not much for mechanical work. I stay with body & paint usually. Thanks for any help you offer.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Re: 355 ?'s

1. 87-95: like this

2. Headers, ok

3. Gen II

BTW: Careful with the headers and emissions equipment.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!

Last edited by PhilaTruck; 10-04-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: addtn
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
bwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
I am picking up a 91 355 from another member. But I have a few questions about it. It has center bolt heads.
1) I need an intake for it. Do all SBC intakes fit it? (excluding vortec of course)
2) Same questions for headers
3) Is that motor considered a Gen 1 or Gen 2 SBC? (trying to shop Summit by motor for pricing)
Sorry, I am not much for mechanical work. I stay with body & paint usually. Thanks for any help you offer.
1. The center 2 intake bolts on both sides of the intake are angled differently than the perimeter bolts heads. I would just order an intake for a 87-95 truck and you should be fine.
2. Header should fit anything small block up into the 5.0/5.7 Vortec, just make sure it fits your vehicle and any emission requirements.
3. Those heads are still concidered Gen I.

Gen I-All small blocks from the first one till 02 excluding the LTx and the LSx, but does include the 5.0/5.7L Truck engines.
Gen II- LTx engines found in mid 90's F-body cars, Caprice, Impalla, Corvette
Gen III/IIII-LSx engines found in late 90's-up Corvettes/F-Body Cars, 99-up 1/2 ton and 00-up 3/4-1 ton trucks (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2L)
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Thanks guys. I have no emissions here, so that should be easy. Now, I just need to get the money together to get a decent intake and carb set up. It is all going in my 86 SWB C-10 when I get everything together for it. I may have more motor related questions as I go.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

What do you guys think of the Summit branded intakes? And what size carb should I be looking for? I live around 4800-5000 ft. I have no real idea of how the motor is built. But I know that it is fairly mild.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I usually just enlongate the center 4 bolt holes and use the earlier intake manifold. It works well and I usually have earlier intakes from swap meets laying around. It's all about saving the money to me.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
bwood

Quote:
What do you guys think of the Summit branded intakes? And what size carb should I be looking for? I live around 4800-5000 ft. I have no real idea of how the motor is built. But I know that it is fairly mild.
Summit branded parts are usually rebranded name brands. I don't know who they use though.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
wheatlandbrawler

Quote:
generally speaking unless your trying to really squeeze horsepower an intake is a intake, is this thing your average daily driver/ weekend warrior on the streets? or is it going to see track time? dose the cam card come with the engine? the point in wich a large portion of D.I.Y. engine builders have problems is the intake head cam matching selection, you want them to come "in" at the same or closest to the same rpm and quit making power at the same rpm. for instance your came may be rated to start making hp at 2,200rpm and stop making power at 5,800 or what ever the case may be, with that you will want your intake so come in and go out at the same numbers.

the carb depends on what you are doing with the vehicle, just a daily driver i would recomend a 600 vacuum secondary. maybe a 650 if you plan on doing a little towing. and wouldnt venture to far from the 650 even if your hot rodding it.

the easiest thing to remember for me is this, a engine is a big vacuum pump, the more air you can get in and the faster you can get it out the better it will perform, if you have one part needing air at a different point the engine will struggle to get the air out in wich case you will not be able to make a steady range of power.

hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood View Post
Summit branded parts are usually rebranded name brands. I don't know who they use though.
Last I heard Holley (a guy I worked with at Cloyes Gear with was the Nat'l Sales Mgr @ Holley) was doing their intakes, and Holley owns Weiand.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

Last edited by BossHogg69; 10-06-2009 at 10:17 PM.
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I usually just enlongate the center 4 bolt holes and use the earlier intake manifold. It works well and I usually have earlier intakes from swap meets laying around. It's all about saving the money to me.
Kevin, can you elaborate this for me a little? I don't have the motor in front of me to see what you mean. I am all about cheap but good too. Thanks!
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatlandbrawler View Post
generally speaking unless your trying to really squeeze horsepower an intake is a intake, is this thing your average daily driver/ weekend warrior on the streets?...you want them to come "in" at the same or closest to the same rpm and quit making power at the same rpm...the carb depends on what you are doing with the vehicle, just a daily driver i would recomend a 600...hope this helps.
This all makes sense to me. I had figured that the intakes were all pretty much the same (within reason). The truck is really just a toy for the occasional weekend that I have time to drive it. I got a chance to get the 355 and thought it was well worth replacing the tired, leaky, old 350. I like some power but don't need a race truck...yet. Eventually I have the dream of turbos, but that's a ways out.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Kevin, can you elaborate this for me a little? I don't have the motor in front of me to see what you mean. I am all about cheap but good too. Thanks!
The only difference on the intakes for earlier heads and the center bolt valve cover heads is the angle of the 4 middle manifold bolts. They are in the same place, just more vertical on later heads and more laydown on earlier heads.

All you have to do is use a grinder the slot the 2 middle holes on each side of the intake. Here is one I did the lazy way and just slotted them. You don't have to go to the edge of the manifold like I did here. Just but a grinder burr in each hole and hog the holes more vertically. It takes maybe 5 minutes total. After that the intake is bolt on. Be sure and use a good washer under the bolt heads since 4 of them will be sitting slightly crooked now.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

And you don't have any problems seating it like that?
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter

Never a problem and I have done it a bunch of times. Back about 94, I worked in a Chevy dealership as a mechanic. I used to get warranty core engines and go through them and put them in older vehicles doing exactly this thing.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Awesome! Then I guess I am on the look out for an intake. Got $50 for some parts today so that will help. Thanks again for the help.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 10-07-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Hey, Gerald:

Here's a pretty good history of the SBC from "Chevy Hi Perf."

Also:

If you really want to play with an older (80-85) non-perf oriented intake (SN 14057053), you can have mine, gratis. Lemme know if you really want it & I'll send it out ground & cheap, just happy to get it out of the basement. It needs to be cleaned out, was painted black (partially wire-brushed), needs to have the oil splash pan re-attached (not a big deal), but it is free to your door.

-Todd

Subscribe here!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Todd,
That link was great, thank you. The intake you have is just a stock one? I appreciate the offer a lot! I don't know...would it be any different than the stock one I have on my current 350? But, If it would be a decent intake for me I will take you up on that. And then I think I will save to get a nice Edelbrock to help get a little more out of the motor down the road. At least I think that would be a pretty good help.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #18
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

I think I might have stumbled across an intake here local. A fellow board member has a Holley Street Dominator hi rise. Would a high rise like this be overkill for this 355?
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...3/IMG00467.jpg
The 86 build thread SOLD

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 10-08-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

From what I can tell a single plane high rise intake is not going to have a good power band for my little motor. Looks like its power is way up in the RPMs. Is that true?
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
cableguy0

wayyy too much intake for a stock motor or even close to stock. You want to look at a performer or performer rpm at the most.theres lots of similar intakes from other brands as well. i have seen them selling on craigslist as cheap as 50 bucks lately.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Thank you! That is what I thought. Another forum member has a Weiand 8004 model intake and a Carter 600 carb that I think would work great for my application. I am looking into that further.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #22
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Quote:
I don't know...would it be any different than the stock one I have on my current 350?
No, it's a stock intake. I didn't know what you had or didn't have, just saw an opportunity to clean up a bit.

Subscribe here!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #23
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Thank you again. The offer was very gracious. I plan to sell my current 350 as a complete motor when I gather the parts for this 355. Thus, I wont pull the stock intake off for the new one, so if I do not get the Weiand I am looking at I will take you up on the offer. I should know within the weekend about that one. And again, thank you a ton! It really made me realize why I have enjoyed this place so much.
The 86 build thread SOLD