The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2022, 07:22 PM   #1
Tx70Gmc

LS Swap and NNS/Brake Light Switch

I recently completed an LS swap and purchased a new Netural Safety Switch/Backup Light Switch. The problem is that Switch is made for a turbo350 transmission and i have a 460le. any ideas on how to get the Switch to work properly so that i have reverse lights?

I also have the dakota digital guages with the GSS-3000 unit and the relay for the NSS of needed, but i don't know how to hook up the relay or if it would be a better solution.

Thanks
Tx70Gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:10 PM   #2
Tx70Gmc

Re: LS Swap and NNS/Brake Light Switch

I found this on dakota digitals website and im wondering if i just disconnect the factory NSS and wired the relay to the factory harness would that be best?
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2022, 10:09 PM   #3
LS short box

What is your current stock setup? NSS on the steering column?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:58 PM   #4
roboticjunky

I would use the factory NSS on the steering column since it already does the safe starts in in park/neutral and turns your reverse lights on. So you don't need the relay or extra wiring.

Quote:
If your vehicle already has a neutral safety switch in the wiring harness to prevent the vehicle
from starting while it is in gear, you do not need to connect this neutral safety switch.
If don't want to use the factory set-up, then do what the manual says for the GSS-300 says and use the relay. Mount your gear selector sensor on your 4L60E just like in the manual and adjust it. I would then wire the reverse lights to the terminal on the GS-3000 that says Reverse so the lights will come on when in reverse.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/GSS-3000.pdf
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:52 PM   #5
Tx70Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticjunky View Post
I would use the factory NSS on the steering column since it already does the safe starts in in park/neutral and turns your reverse lights on. So you don't need the relay or extra wiring.

If don't want to use the factory set-up, then do what the manual says for the GSS-300 says and use the relay. Mount your gear selector sensor on your 4L60E just like in the manual and adjust it. I would then wire the reverse lights to the terminal on the GS-3000 that says Reverse so the lights will come on when in reverse.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/GSS-3000.pdf
The current factory setup isnt working, which is why im asking the question. I would like to use the factory NSS/backup if possible. The difference is the factory NSS is setup for a 3 speed system and the 460le is not 3 speed.

I have tried to adjust the switch, but i can only adjust as follows:

park-starts
reverse-no start
neutral-no start
overdrive-starts
drive-starts
2nd-starts
1st-starts

All while the reverse lights never come on.

I have jumped the 2 green wires on the reverse switch and the reverse lights light up, so i know they work.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
Tx70Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
What is your current stock setup? NSS on the steering column?
Yes, but i can't adjust correctly. I think its because the switch is for a 3 speed, not a 460le.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:02 AM   #7
Accelo

Let me see if I understand this correctly;
Both the thm350 and the 700R4/4L60s use the same PRND.
PRND21
PRND321

The first gear is just further down on the column.
This means they both should be able to activate the NSS correctly.
I am just guessing the ratio between the column and the shifter on the transmission has changed and is not the same ratio as the factory designed it.
This could make the switch not index correctly.
Just a guess.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:59 AM   #8
cj847

A better way than using the NSS on the column is to use the NSS and BU light off of the 4L60. I found that I could not get effective BU lights and NSS together using the column mounted piece.

For some reason I can't attach pics right now, but you can download the Painless wire harness instructions for PN 10204

See page 99 of the instructions (page 109 of the pdf).

https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/10204.pdf
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:18 AM   #9
Tx70Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
A better way than using the NSS on the column is to use the NSS and BU light off of the 4L60. I found that I could not get effective BU lights and NSS together using the column mounted piece.

For some reason I can't attach pics right now, but you can download the Painless wire harness instructions for PN 10204

See page 99 of the instructions (page 109 of the pdf).

https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/10204.pdf
If i understand correctly, this is the same as using the GSS-3000 relay.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2022, 11:28 AM   #10
Tx70Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Let me see if I understand this correctly;
Both the thm350 and the 700R4/4L60s use the same PRND.
PRND21
PRND321

The first gear is just further down on the column.
This means they both should be able to activate the NSS correctly.
I am just guessing the ratio between the column and the shifter on the transmission has changed and is not the same ratio as the factory designed it.
This could make the switch not index correctly.
Just a guess.
Cheers
This is very much possible, i am using the https://kugelkomponents.com/product/...-arm-kit-long/ shift linkage and i had to adjust it to lineup with the column indicator and the dakota digital adapter.

Any idea how to adjust so all 3 are in sync?
Old 11-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #11
ls1nova71

I am going to assume you are using an aftermarket shift indicator on the column with the overdrive on it. If so, give it up, those are not correct at all and won't line up with the stock NSS on the column. I've tried, they just aren't right. But since you have DD gauges, I would just use the DD box for the shift indicator and neutral safety switch. It will be more wiring, but it is infinitely adjustable so you know it will work. I have one in my car and it was pretty easy to set up.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:06 PM   #12
Tx70Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I am going to assume you are using an aftermarket shift indicator on the column with the overdrive on it. If so, give it up, those are not correct at all and won't line up with the stock NSS on the column. I've tried, they just aren't right. But since you have DD gauges, I would just use the DD box for the shift indicator and neutral safety switch. It will be more wiring, but it is infinitely adjustable so you know it will work. I have one in my car and it was pretty easy to set up.
Correct, i am using the DD GSS-3000 thay has a shift indicator adapter at the transmission and shows the correct gear on the DD guages.

So should i just unplug the factory NSS and wire up some pigtails to plug the relay into the factory harness?
Old 11-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #13
Accelo

A couple of great ideas to solve your issues. I thought about the transmission switch but figured it was only good for computer controls amperage. Using a relay should make this possible. I also made the assumption the spacing on the column indicator was the same as stock. Why I like this forum.
Cheers.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:10 PM   #14
Tx70Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post

I am noticing i have reverse lights in drive...hahaha. i guess I'll hookup the relay and use pigtails to the factory harness.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #15
bigmoe

Not necessarily an option for the op if he wants to retain the column shift but I chose to go with an Art Carr/Winters floor shifter because it has the nss and reverse switches (#177-1 and 1089-29 nss and reverse switch). An added bonus is that it is cable activated so I had some leeway in where I mounted it on the hump.
Attached Images

bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:15 PM   #16
Tx70Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
Not necessarily an option for the op if he wants to retain the column shift but I chose to go with an Art Carr/Winters floor shifter because it has the nss and reverse switches (#177-1 and 1089-29 nss and reverse switch). An added bonus is that it is cable activated so I had some leeway in where I mounted it on the hump.
Thanks, but i want to keep the original column shift.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:31 AM   #17
kglowacky

I am going by memory at this point but here goes. I had the same problem with trying to use the column switch with no success when I went with a 460 trans, found out there are 2 different style 460 trans, one uses a switch that mounts to the trans shifter shaft the other does not. My trans came out of a 2002 trans am and it did not use this type of switch BUT the only difference is the length of the shifter shaft between the 2-style trans. So, I bought the longer gm shaft and replaced it and then I could use the GM switch. If you search my old threads all this info is in there. It is easy to change the shaft. The wiring was easy and now I have back up lights and neutral safety lock out.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #18
Accelo

Interesting as I had the switch, located on the side of my 4L60E transmission, but didn't like the shaft sticking out so far so I converted it to the short shaft/no switch. I am having issues getting the indicator and the neutral safety to both work correctly together. Currently I am considering returning to the stock indicator. I have converted several without changing the indicator, to match the 4 speed automatic, and had no issues lining things up. Just manual low is off the indicator on the right. No big deal as I never shift my truck manually. Just one more thing I wish I had known before the build. My 4L60E came out of a 1999 truck.
Cheers
Old 11-27-2022, 07:28 PM   #19
Tx70Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Interesting as I had the switch, located on the side of my 4L60E transmission, but didn't like the shaft sticking out so far so I converted it to the short shaft/no switch. I am having issues getting the indicator and the neutral safety to both work correctly together. Currently I am considering returning to the stock indicator. I have converted several without changing the indicator, to match the 4 speed automatic, and had no issues lining things up. Just manual low is off the indicator on the right. No big deal as I never shift my truck manually. Just one more thing I wish I had known before the build. My 4L60E came out of a 1999 truck.
Cheers

Yea, i got the reverse lights and NSS to work with the stock column shift indicator, the problem i am having now is i cant get the gears to lineup properly. So my NSS only works until drive then it will start after that. But at least it wont start in reverse...