The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
roll_the_dice

Parking Brake Re-work/Re-route

So I am about ready to start buttoning up my truck to finish everything and I figured out yesterday my parking brake crossmember bolts in exactly where my T56 trans crossmember bolted in. So I need to come up with a work around.

My initial thought was to do the 1966 and up parking brake system without the crossmember. Then I starting thinking (dangerous). Could I invert the original crossmember in the original spot under the transmission? With the crossmember facing the correct position but upside down...would it work? Like this picture, but on the underside of the frame and upside down? (picture pulled from this thread)

I don't think the angle of the cables would be compromised as it would only be 1/2" or so different. What pitfalls can you think of doing it this way? Just do the 66 parking brake system without the crossmember? If I do the 66 system, is the cable from the eBrake handle the same length as on a 65? Thanks

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Parking Brake Re-work/Re-route

If it clears physically, I see no reason it wouldn't work flipped as long as the pivots work in the same direction.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If it clears physically, I see no reason it wouldn't work flipped as long as the pivots work in the same direction.
Thanks SCOTI! I just went out there and was looking closer and I "think" that is how it was set up when I removed it. In it's OEM orientation, the drivers side cable connects to the passenger side pivot point...the only way to get it to the correct side is to flip it over. I am going to try it and as you said, if it doesn't bind and the pivots work in the correct direction it should work.

This is how it is setup. I never removed all the Ebrake cables and had it laying on the ground...here is how it is connected now.
Attached Images

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 06-29-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Not the best quality pick, but on my truck, the driver's side cable attaches on the driver's side of the bar. The sideways pic has the driver's side on the bottom

To make the flip work, I think you will also have to flip the entire mechanism on the bracket so the front cable can have the proper pull on the system
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
ACK

I had to flip my e-brake to accommodate the TH350. The e-brake cables were low when ran through the crossmember holes, so I welded wire rope thimbles into them as guides to prevent rubbing and undo wear. They've performed without issue for almost 10 years. Throwing it out there in case you come across this, too. Here's my not so great pic.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK View Post
I had to flip my e-brake to accommodate the TH350. The e-brake cables were low when ran through the crossmember holes, so I welded wire rope thimbles into them as guides to prevent rubbing and undo wear. They've performed without issue for almost 10 years. Throwing it out there in case you come across this, too. Here's my not so great pic.
That helps a lot! Thanks, I appreciate it!...I wouldn't have even thought to look at that. Good idea on the cable thimble too.

I am going to mock it up tomorrow and check everything out and then take it out and blast the cross member and paint it...then reinstall it. I know I need to replace the passenger side rear cable..as it is frozen, but can mock it up and see how it looks.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
roll_the_dice

To work with my transmission crossmember, I had to cut out approximately 6"x3/8" section where the crossmember bends down. Since it is upside down on mine now, that portion would not let it sit flush to the frame and trans crossmember. I test fit after cutting and all looks good. I am going to clean the crossmember up some and give it a coat of KBS rust inhibitor paint and install it and see how it works. I think it will be fine. Will post installed pics when I am finished.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
To work with my transmission crossmember, I had to cut out approximately 6"x3/8" section where the crossmember bends down. Since it is upside down on mine now, that portion would not let it sit flush to the frame and trans crossmember. I test fit after cutting and all looks good. I am going to clean the crossmember up some and give it a coat of KBS rust inhibitor paint and install it and see how it works. I think it will be fine. Will post installed pics when I am finished.
Excellent. Hope it works for 'ya.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
roll_the_dice

Got it installed today. Fit like a glove. I have not hooked up the cables yet as I need to replace the passenger rear cable and I misplaced one of the cotter pins...so find it or buy a new one. Hard to take pictures on my back, but I think it looks good. better still, I think it will work as intended.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #10
notsolo

also a possibility if you have a little to much cable, or need an offset, garage door cable rollers bolt on.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #11
roll_the_dice

Good idea on the rollers! I was also thinking an eye hook if needed.