The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
harrisoncole4

Best Disc Brakes (kit)

What are the best brake kits(or part #'s) that you can get for the 4wd 6 lug 67-72's that will fit into stock 15x8" steel wheels. While Wilwoods look cool, I've heard conflicting statements on their stopping ability for the price tag.

From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be too many product offerings for performance brakes in a 15" wheel package.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: Best Disc Brakes (kit)

While I don't have Wilwoods, I do recall reading that the OEM 1/2 single piston design offers larger surface area than the wilwoods dual piston design. Which is why they don't brake as well as stock calipers.

for 6 lug brakes I'd wager stock calipers are going to be your best bet.

For me personally it wasn't going to cut it with my lift and large tires so I went 8 lug 3/4 ton brakes which have a larger rotor and the caliper pistons are slightly larger as well. Then I put on a hydraboost setup.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
franken

Many swap the entire front diff out. Disk brakes started in 71 and Blazer and Suburban half ton diffs can swap up to 91.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
hemi43

I made my own from OEM parts. Uses the large late model rotors and late model 4 piston calipers. It all fits in a stock 15” rim also. If you have machining abilities, I can explain how. The brakes work excellent and way superior to the original. The best part is that everything fits on a stock drum brake hub so you can convert an original drum brake front axle to disc . If I recall, I have pics on my build thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
I made my own from OEM parts. Uses the large late model rotors and late model 4 piston calipers. It all fits in a stock 15” rim also. If you have machining abilities, I can explain how. The brakes work excellent and way superior to the original. The best part is that everything fits on a stock drum brake hub so you can convert an original drum brake front axle to disc . If I recall, I have pics on my build thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sure people would love this as a "kit"
Old 06-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
boonedogs72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
I'm sure people would love this as a "kit"
I’m in!
boonedogs72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
harrisoncole4

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't "personally" have machining abilities, but i can definitely find someone who does. When you say late model rotors and 4 piston callipers, what year range are you referring to? I believe the 6 lug wheels on the pickups switched to a smaller hub size at some point in the late 90s or early 2000s.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
hemi43

I used 2003 calipers with mid 90's rotors. The backing plates are made from 1/4" plate. Obviously the backing plates need to be custom machined, but also the mounting hole on the rotors needs to be opened up a bit to fit the Blazer hub. Also, to get it to fit in a 15" rim, the bottom of the pads need to be clearanced. I also used a 2003 master cylinder, but planning on changing that out one of these days. the 03 master cylinder has a 1.250" bore, and it make the pedal too hard for my liking. It all works great but I want to go down to a 1.125" bore master. It's an easy swap, but as I said you will need to machine stuff.I have almost 20000 miles on it now and it stops like a late model truck. For liability reasons, I cannot make these to sell.
Attached Images

Last edited by hemi43; 06-10-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #9
hemi43

This is the only pic I had of the back plates, but will give you an idea how the calipers mount.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #10
jaros44sr

i dont know which are the best kits, but my hydra boosted system dang near put me into the windshield with 35s and stock calipers

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
i dont know which are the best kits, but my hydra boosted system dang near put me into the windshield with 35s and stock calipers
Agreed. Stops my rig on 37's right quick.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:16 PM   #12
rayray767

Following ...
rayray767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:03 PM   #13
harrisoncole4

Quote:
I used 2003 calipers with mid 90's rotors. The backing plates are made from 1/4" plate. Obviously the backing plates need to be custom machined, but also the mounting hole on the rotors needs to be opened up a bit to fit the Blazer hub. Also, to get it to fit in a 15" rim, the bottom of the pads need to be clearanced. I also used a 2003 master cylinder, but planning on changing that out one of these days. the 03 master cylinder has a 1.250" bore, and it make the pedal too hard for my liking. It all works great but I want to go down to a 1.125" bore master. It's an easy swap, but as I said you will need to machine stuff.I have almost 20000 miles on it now and it stops like a late model truck. For liability reasons, I cannot make these to sell.
Hemi, this is a fantastic explanation of the swap you did, thanks for sharing! Looking back on the disc conversion 20000km later, are there any other changes/improvements you would make? Besides swapping the master cylinder to one with a smaller bore.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #14
harrisoncole4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
I've heard lots of great things about hydroboost. Did you do a thread writeup on your hydroboost system swap? If so, would you be able to include the link in this thread so it can be referenced in the future?
Old 06-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisoncole4 View Post
Hemi, this is a fantastic explanation of the swap you did, thanks for sharing! Looking back on the disc conversion 20000km later, are there any other changes/improvements you would make? Besides swapping the master cylinder to one with a smaller bore.
I wouldn't really change anything as I'm real happy with the way it stops except for the hard pedal. I ordered a new Wilwood master cylinder (1.125" bore) and it will be in tomorrow.
I've had a lot of PMs requesting info on what I used, so I'm hoping in the next few days to post part numbers of everything.
Hopefully the OP won't mind if I do this on his post.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #16
harrisoncole4

Quote:
I wouldn't really change anything as I'm real happy with the way it stops except for the hard pedal. I ordered a new Wilwood master cylinder (1.125" bore) and it will be in tomorrow.
I've had a lot of PMs requesting info on what I used, so I'm hoping in the next few days to post part numbers of everything.
Not at all, that will be some great info to have.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #17
boonedogs72

Quote:
We all appreciate your help on this! And understand completely on not wanting to produce a kit for the liability of doing so.
boonedogs72 is online now   Reply With Quote