The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Someone tried breaking into my garage.....

Yup, it sure is a crappy feeling. Someone attempted to break into my garage, which is attached to my house. I'm also starting to believe this was going on.... while we were home!

My father was testing out a new vehicle he just bought on our long driveway. At the end of our driveway, he noticed a car, lights off, someone in it with their cellphone. When the person noticed my dad, he drove off, still with lights off and turned them on way down the street. My dad realized he should have followed them, but his new vehicle is unregistered. Perfect timing eh?

Anyways, we didn't think much of it, until we had to open our garage door, which was pried open on top a bit. Yup, someone tried breaking in, and I bet that guy in the car was a lookout.

I would assume it was all for my dirt bike sitting in plain view in my garage (the doors have windows).

We made a police report and brought the bike into the house chained and locked.

We also bolted down the garage doors.

My buddies crf450 was stolen a few months ago and I'll be damned if it happens to me!

What else should be done?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: Someone tried breaking into my garage.....

we have an alarm in the house through ADT...and there's a motion detector in the garage...nothing gets past that thing...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
cableguy0

Cameras on a motion sensor. Motion lights will also help. The only problem is if you have lots of animal movement in the area it will become a nuisance.If they pried out the top of the door sounds like they were trying to get to the release mechanism for an opener.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

That sucks about your garage break in attempt, but glad they didn't do to much damage or get something from you.

I've always wanted to buy one of these motion activated cameras, just for situations like yours where someone maybe sneaking around looking for something to steal.
Day time would be great, and a motion light on the driveway for the dark hours.

My Dad had someone break in through the garage door, by prying up a lower corner and squeezing through.
He fixed that weak spot by installing these gravity activated steel bolts, when the door closes they slide down into holes you drill into the concrete. Then when you lift the door normally, there was a cable that lifted them out of the hole. These were installed on the lower corners of the garage door.
I just tried to Google them, but no luck on a quick search.
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Sillyoldman

I bought a scouting camera too. The down side is the flash. As I read the OP I heard on the tv that a local man was shot and killed. He was broke into a garage and was attempting to open a safe while the family was home. Hope these guys don't return to mess with you.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
jamie72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
I bought a scouting camera too. The down side is the flash. As I read the OP I heard on the tv that a local man was shot and killed. He was broke into a garage and was attempting to open a safe while the family was home. Hope these guys don't return to mess with you.
put the camera up high,even if the flash go`s off they won`t be able to reach,or get to the camera.

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie72 View Post
put the camera up high,even if the flash go`s off they won`t be able to reach,or get to the camera.
I had considered that too but it really needs to be eye level for any chance of identifying a person. You also need to be lucky to get a clear face shot with them too.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 02-06-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id also put up no tresspassing signs on the property in addition to the monitoring and cameras just so you have a leg to stand on in case you wind up finding someone there and have to detain them

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
vectorit
What?

If there is a way to disable the flash on the camera, I would do that so that it wouldn't draw attention. That's why I mentioned the motion lights on the drive, since those may light up enough to get a decent picture.
Plus you may be able to place the game tracker device in plane view at eye level, maybe camo it so it doesn't look obvious to someone who doesn't belong.

Just a thought. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #10

Guard Dog On Duty signs they help.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
AusTx68

Someone breaking into my garage has been a big fear of mine. My house is protected and the alarm is always on when I'm not home or during the night. I remember telling asking the Brinks guys about a motion sensor for my garage. He shrugged it off as being unnecessary. I ended up adding it later.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:36 AM   #12
dammitmitchell
the pollock

leave a mostly empty box of clay pigeons by the garage door.. it gives the undeniable message that there's a shotgun in the house....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:44 AM   #13
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
leave a mostly empty box of clay pigeons by the garage door.. it gives the undeniable message that there's a shotgun in the house....
I kinda like that idea!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #14
Sillyoldman

I always toss a few shells on my dash when I leave my truck out in the woods. It leaves a lingering question with would be thieves. Is he a mile away or several yards away? Pretty good deterrent.

'67 Buick Special 455.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:36 AM   #15
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

buy a old motorcyle and rig it up to blow up. when they tried to steal it.
they try to kick it over to start it up, hallow the engine out and fill it with c4 and nails and ball bearings, 00hh was that out loud; sorry!
just chill dude! get dad a old army suit and pull guard duty LOL

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #16
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
I always toss a few shells on my dash when I leave my truck out in the woods. It leaves a lingering question with would be thieves. Is he a mile away or several yards away? Pretty good deterrent.
so what happens when you come back and theres no shells on the dash is he mile away or several yards away ? j/k som

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #17
Panelman55

Get a 357mag open the garage door a bit, turn off the light and wait. They will come back they always do. Like the Boy Scouts say "Be Prepaired".
Old 02-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

in addition the the clay pigeon idea include 3 or 4 pairs of big hunting boots by the door. have an engine swinging from a tree, leave the grass tall, and hook up 4 or 5 chain type dog leashes out front.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
nuke1

I use ties downs on my garage door and steel pins, and have bars over my windows and a steel plate behind where my dead bolt is, best i can do for now, i hope in a couple months to have a security system.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #20
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
id also put up no tresspassing signs on the property in addition to the monitoring and cameras just so you have a leg to stand on in case you wind up finding someone there and have to detain them
Are things that bad in NY that you need no tresspassing signs and camaras to justify detaining someone on your own property ? I am having a hard time understanding this . In Texas things are way different . If i detain someone who is breaking into/stealing/damaging my property he should consider himself lucky .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #21
leddzepp

Thumbs up Re: Someone tried breaking into my garage.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelman55 View Post
Get a 357mag open the garage door a bit, turn off the light and wait. They will come back they always do. Like the Boy Scouts say "Be Prepaired".
Best idea so far...

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #22
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
Are things that bad in NY that you need no tresspassing signs and camaras to justify detaining someone on your own property ? I am having a hard time understanding this . In Texas things are way different . If i detain someone who is breaking into/stealing/damaging my property he should consider himself lucky .
Yes apparently all the hot air taught kids these days in school has made most here those free thinking liberal hippie types (yuppies) and they all think that only the government should have guns. The police shouldnt and criminals have more rights than free citizens. Im starting to think that if it wasnt below freezing here i was in california
Couple that with the fact that the police here do as little as possible to do their jobs and frankly are more interested in generating revenue for the city by writing tickets than they are in tracking down criminals who will prolly kick the cops butts and then sue the police for brutality.
My thoughts are if you catch someone trying to rob you, you stop them and neutralize the threat.This means you give them a beating and hurt them enough to remember not to come back again. Then if you want you call the cops and have em thankful to be gone from you and having a nice vacation in jail to recover. All this liberal new fangled "it aint their fault they had a lousy upbringing " is a crock of garbage to me I believe justice should be meted out swiftly and should be severe enough to be a deterrent. You cover your butt so that when these criminals victimize you you have a leg to stand on when you get drug to court by these animals and their liberal do gooder lawyers blaming the whole thing on you.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #23
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
However, it also tells them that you have guns... More reason to get into the house if no one is home.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #24
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Yes apparently all the hot air taught kids these days in school has made most here those free thinking liberal hippie types (yuppies) and they all think that only the government should have guns. The police shouldnt and criminals have more rights than free citizens. Im starting to think that if it wasnt below freezing here i was in california
Couple that with the fact that the police here do as little as possible to do their jobs and frankly are more interested in generating revenue for the city by writing tickets than they are in tracking down criminals who will prolly kick the cops butts and then sue the police for brutality.
My thoughts are if you catch someone trying to rob you, you stop them and neutralize the threat.This means you give them a beating and hurt them enough to remember not to come back again. Then if you want you call the cops and have em thankful to be gone from you and having a nice vacation in jail to recover. All this liberal new fangled "it aint their fault they had a lousy upbringing " is a crock of garbage to me I believe justice should be meted out swiftly and should be severe enough to be a deterrent. You cover your butt so that when these criminals victimize you you have a leg to stand on when you get drug to court by these animals and their liberal do gooder lawyers blaming the whole thing on you.
WOW , i must live a sheltered life . I would have never imagined a guy breaking into my garage had a leg to stand on . Well he doesn't in Texas . I guess things are different in that part of the country . I probably would be thought of as a nut case up there . I clean my guns in the driveway on a table and the neighbors don't even think or look twice . Hell we had a guy shoot 2 crooks robbing his neighbors house a while back . No bill . I could not deal with a place that doesn't have some accountability for actions . Down here it is like the crook know they might get shot . Sorry for the off topic semi-rant .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Here in Colorado we have a "make my day law". If you catch someone entering your property unlawfully, you are allowed to use any necessary force to stop them. Including shooting them. Sorry to hear about the attempt. We had my wife's Jeep broken in to at our old house and I didn't sleep good for weeks.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote