The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2020, 11:56 PM   #1
texascowboy593

Bad Gas is the Main Suspect

So as a few of you know, I picked up my uncle's '77 K10 a couple weeks ago. Now, he hadn't driven it in like 5 years but it had been maintained/run from time to time by a distant cousin of mine.

It's a dual tank setup. Before departing on my 200 mile trip home, I went to get some gas. The left tank was full but the right tank was almost empty (switch in cab was on right tank). I ran 3 tanks of gas on the right tank and she ran like a top. As the right tank was almost empty,I flipped the switch to the left tank. It ran for 2 days just fine.

Today, I was headed to work and the truck abruptly shut off on the highway. I couldn't get it started. A similar situation happened years ago in my old 71...It was the HEI coil gave out. I figured it was the same problem but it was not. I also replaced the Ignition Control Module but that wasn't it either. Carb was starved for fuel. I changed out the fuel filter (that looked pretty good) and got her running again but she stalled 3 more times on the way home. I did switch back to the right side tank and fill it up before changing fuel filter.

Now, she idles rough and I think I may have jarred the kickdown cable as she won't shift out of 1st without going to L2 then back to D.

It's probably a couple of small issues to get her right again.

What would y'all consider a good checklist to make sure I get all this corrected?

2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Bad Gas is the Main Suspect

I'd pull tanks and clean them,,,blow out all fuel lines, replace all filters and hope the carb isnt full of crap...if it is I'd rebuild it

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

May have been a reason the cab switch was on the nearly empty right tank. If there was, no telling how old that stuff in the left tank really is.

Could be as simple as the hose(s) from the tank to the frame and switch valve being bad and letting air into the system. Age or mice can cause a bad hose.

Put a gas filter on the suction side of the fuel pump(Fram G3 or equiv) until you are sure the fuel system is clean. A lot easier to check/change that one then the one in the carb.

Transmission fluid level correct? If it sat for five years, one of the seals might be bad and it is now low on fluid. If fluid correct, I would also drop the transmission pan and replace the filter and inspect the old fluid and filter for debris.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
rpmerf

I would replace all the rubber lines while you are in there.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
kidatheart

I would also check the vacuum line going to the vacuum modular on the transmission. Maybe you knocked it of the intake when you were working on distributor. That would make it run rough and not shift correctly.
kidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
texascowboy593

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidatheart View Post
I would also check the vacuum line going to the vacuum modular on the transmission. Maybe you knocked it of the intake when you were working on distributor. That would make it run rough and not shift correctly.
This right here. I went and looked today and the vacuum line had come off the modulator on the trans. There was one other knocked loose while taking air cleaner on and off.

Truck running and shifting like a top now!
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote