The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2020, 09:52 PM   #1426
SCOTI

Re: off it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
I know that there are many, many builds that take wayyyyy longer than first expected, otherwise we probably wouldn't even start them. My guess, most of us "car" guys end up DIYers as we can't afford to pay someone else to do it, but end up actually enjoying the process.

But this build is an example of such high end design, craftsmanship and execution that puts in the car show realm that I would love to be part of but just don't see that happening. No matter how much time I had.

Again, beautiful build! Awesome work! Bring it to Sac!!
Agreed. This truck was high-end in my eyes before Chromaholic even started. But, we're all on different levels from different backgrounds in life.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #1427
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaka454 View Post
Pfft .... Do you watch TV shows and believe that's how it really works?
Why are you commenting? Just asking Chromaholic a simple question.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #1428
TKCR

I just sat here with a cup of coffee and read thru your entire build. First off, my condolences for the loss of your sister.
I was astounded at the level of detail! That was and is some awesome work there! That truck is absolutely stunning! I kept wanting to jump pages, just to get to the interior, that’s what I love the most, is seeing what goes on in the interior. I’m glad I didn’t, I went Page to Page! But i was so glad when I did get to the interior updates! Well done!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #1429
CHROMAHOLIC

thanks so much for all the kind words guys...It was a long process with all my own money, (no sponsorship dollars ). I have had some nice cars over the years but truly nothing to this level, I wanted something perfect and think we nailed it, at least 99.9 anyway. It did take a long time with lots of times wanting to throw in the towel, like mentioned in a previous post...life goes on as well through this process. We still like to vacation in the Caribbean a couple times a year as well as weekend outings and dinners, my wife and I make good money but are not high people by any means, so it was stretched out over the years to be able to keep the build going and enjoy other things as well. Over the time building it we stopped for a bit on the build thinking the truck was possibly sold to a famous entertainer, which never did transpire. I also lost my mother from Pancreatic Cancer, lost my sister due to infection in her system and my sister in law to Cancer as well. My mom helped us the night we loaded it to go to my buddies to start the build, wish she was here to see the final outcome. (you can just see the top of her head in the pic above the box)
Attached Images

CHROMAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #1430
SCOTI

She would be giving you a moms 'atta-boy' pat on the back for forging forward. This truck was nice to start with & you've definitely raised its level of quality.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #1431
jocko

just an incredibly detailed and unique build all the way around. glad you kept the tan and white, great combo. Congrats and enjoy!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #1432
CHROMAHOLIC

thank you
Old 11-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #1433
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

very nice build & appreciate the time and effort to log the build. I would love to see a finishing post that shows the truck when you purchased it and current finished state.

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #1434
Low Elco

Truck came out gorgeous. Your mom would be proud.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #1435
CHROMAHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Truck came out gorgeous. Your mom would be proud.
thanks man
Old 11-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #1436
CHROMAHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
very nice build & appreciate the time and effort to log the build. I would love to see a finishing post that shows the truck when you purchased it and current finished state.

some before and afters
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #1437
CHROMAHOLIC

more
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #1438
CHROMAHOLIC

couple more
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #1439
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

What a transformation. I had forgot the truck only had a 6 in it when you got it.

Your Mom would be very proud.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #1440
Rich84

Most of us strive to get where this truck started. Your vision and perseverance are remarkable.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #1441
JoeinT.O.

First of all, Chromaholic, my condolences on the loss of your Mother, Sister and Sister-in-Law.
I am so glad you were able to get this truck done. Your vision and skill level are definitely admirable. I enjoyed seeing the pictures posted as you did more and more work.
I made very little progress this summer and now that it is getting cold, that's it for this year.
Joe in T.O.
JoeinT.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #1442
EricU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
Most of us strive to get where this truck started. Your vision and perseverance are remarkable.
Yeah, I have to agree. I keep going back to this thread, rereading it and being both amazed at your skilled craftsmanship while at the same time getting depressed with my lack of craftsmanship!

Great job of raising the bar!

* So who all was involved with building this work of art?
Old 11-06-2020, 05:11 AM   #1443
CHROMAHOLIC

thanks so much for all the kind words guys on the truck and the condolences for my family, very much appreciated. As for the perseverance...it's one of those things where once you start and get this deep in to a project it's hard to give up on it whether you at that point where your sick of it or not, and that happened more times than you can imagine, lol. most of the real fab work was done by a buddy of mine Jason Albano, the guy is a metal genius, also a wizard in the paint dept. as well, Truck was wired by another buddy of mine Carl White and fortunately I have a buddy who owns a Hot Rod Upholstery shop so Terry did the interior for me. I think the hardest part of the build was the coming up with the interior design and color for the truck, as for the outside we new we weren't changing it, just perfecting it. But the interior was going to be a make or break and I wanted it subtle but rich looking, I decided on the dark brown just to help sway the paint color more to the tan side than the yellow look. I think I designed 200 seats before that's one we went with, lol. it was tough, because I didn't want it to overpower the outside and have too much going on.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #1444
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHROMAHOLIC View Post
thanks so much for all the kind words guys on the truck and the condolences for my family, very much appreciated. As for the perseverance...it's one of those things where once you start and get this deep in to a project it's hard to give up on it whether you at that point where your sick of it or not, and that happened more times than you can imagine, lol. most of the real fab work was done by a buddy of mine Jason Albano, the guy is a metal genius, also a wizard in the paint dept. as well, Truck was wired by another buddy of mine Carl White and fortunately I have a buddy who owns a Hot Rod Upholstery shop so Terry did the interior for me. side I think the hardest part of the build was the coming up with the interior design and color for the truck, as for the outside we new we weren't changing it, just perfecting it. But the interior was going to be a make or break and I wanted it subtle but rich looking, I decided on the dark brown just to help sway the paint color more to the tan than the yellow look. I think I designed 200 seats before that's one we went with, lol. it was tough, because I didn't want it to overpower the outside and have too much going on.
Well, it worked. Tell your buddies they each contributed some outstanding effort & your build is on point.

The metal work is outstanding.
The paint looks top tier.
The interior is rich w/o being 'too busy'.
The interior color is defining & absolutely compliments the exterior.
The mechanicals were well done & execution looks top notch as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #1445
CHROMAHOLIC

Thank you
Old 11-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #1446
bigblock73
yeller

Before and afters are nothing short of amazing, just like the truck. Nice work Jim and crew!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #1447
CHROMAHOLIC

thanks so much
Old 12-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #1448
1stchevy

My favorite square body for sure. I’ve enjoyed following along on your build. Congrats on designing and building an insanely beautiful truck. And condolences and prayers for you and your family. Cancer sucks. My wife passed away last year after a 4 year battle at the age of 39.

Last edited by 1stchevy; 12-06-2020 at 10:34 PM.
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #1449
Factory Guy

Really nice truck!
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #1450
CHROMAHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stchevy View Post
My favorite square body for sure. I’ve enjoyed following along on your build. Congrats on designing and building an insanely beautiful truck. And condolences and prayers for you and your family. Cancer sucks. My wife passed away last year after a 4 year battle at the age of 39.
thanks so much....so sorry for the loss of your wife, it's never easy. We are now going through it again with cousin in the family.