The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #51
MDPotter

Re: Bmxbang's 71 Project

I started my truck for the first time this weekend and I have the same engine, shorty headers, and the same mufflers and it was louder than I expected. Sounds really good though. I don't have tailpipes ran all the way to the back and I also don't have any glass in my cab so I can hear it really well.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #52
bmxbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
I started my truck for the first time this weekend and I have the same engine, shorty headers, and the same mufflers and it was louder than I expected. Sounds really good though. I don't have tailpipes ran all the way to the back and I also don't have any glass in my cab so I can hear it really well.
I noticed it has a pretty loud cold start but after its warm and at idle it isn't terrible loud just when you get on it. but I will say at highway speeds in a mine with a cab without any insulation its a little loud and slightly obnoxious but on the outside it sounds alot better. I had a buddy drive it for me after I got it done so I could hear it outside and I was pretty dang happy with the sound.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #53
bmxbang

One last shot before she goes back up on jack stands for the winter.

Winter Project list

- Rebuild rear end (new seals, bearings)
- Yukon posi track rear end
- Gears (see what the heck I have in there and go from there)

Depending on time and money after the rear end is done
-BTR Stage 3 truck cam
-Tune

Oh and clean up the ugly steel wheels and probably go with black or a dark grey for the wheel color (I have to live with them for awhile).
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #54
bmxbang

Welp operation rebuild has begun.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #55
cebra

I put gears in my truck and really liked the Motive gears for the price. I/the shop that did the work tried the Excel by Richmond (Richmonds cheap line) and they whined extremely loud. We had to send them back in exchange for the Motive set.

I like the steel wheels btw. The look good cleaned up with stock caps on them I think.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #56
bmxbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
I put gears in my truck and really liked the Motive gears for the price. I/the shop that did the work tried the Excel by Richmond (Richmonds cheap line) and they whined extremely loud. We had to send them back in exchange for the Motive set.

I like the steel wheels btw. The look good cleaned up with stock caps on them I think.
Good to hear! I think everyone has said don't cheap out on gears as they almost always whine so I shall be staying away!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #57
bmxbang

currently waiting on rear end stuff to show up so I decided to freshen up the Junkyard steel wheels. Currently in the process of painting them to clean up the look little.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #58
68Gold/white

I have used Duplicolor DA1684 for some wheels. It is very close to the factory Argent color.
If you could loosen the tires off the bead, the wheels are easier to paint. If you do so, install new valve stems (if you have not already...)
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #59
bmxbang

Almost have everything to get started on the rebuild, just waiting on the axle bearings.
Attached Images

Last edited by bmxbang; 02-19-2020 at 08:52 PM.
bmxbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #60
bmxbang

Got the rear end wrapped up last week and have been putting some miles on it in between rain showers. Im pretty dang excited for it being my first rear end rebuild how well it went. It helps when you can take your time though. Runs fantastic with no rear end noise whatsoever. Also now that I can spin both tires I thought It was time to upgrade the seat belts to 3 point so I knocked that out as well.

I ended up going with a 3.73 rear gear as a good all around one. It had 3.08 in it before.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #61
bmxbang

Just gave her the first after winter bath to get the dust off
Attached Images

Last edited by bmxbang; 03-26-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #62
bmxbang

well here is how she will sit for the summer. I swapped out the break in rear diff fluid and everything still looked super solid back there. Also ended up pushing my luck and added another inch of drop in the rear. Total of 4/7 drop now. I still had to much rake for my liking with the 4/6. Also still no notch in the rear I have about an 1.5 inches of travel for the rear axle with no bottoming out with the current set up under normal driving conditions so i'm super happy about that.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #63
bmxbang

Well my lovely 4l60e is leaking from the rear seal so I have decided while Im at it to pull the transmission. I need to fix the leaking rear main seal on the motor and Figure since im going that far might as well swap out torque converters now. I plan on throwing a cam in it this winter so might as well throw a new torque converter in now while I have the transmission out.

Side note I did at least make it out to a cruise night this year before the transmission started leaking like crazy.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #64
68Gold/white

Man, I was in your vicinity, Memorial day. Of course these are not times to be visiting folks...I have no fear of any virus, just want to respect other folk's ways and thoughts.

Look'n good in the Blue Springs neighborhood!!! I really DO like that bed on your pickup!!! Makes it look like a work'n mans rig, just as the older pickups did (my vision...)

Still am amazed at how much better it looks, compared to when you bought it with those crazy blingy wheels on it!!! LOL
Old 07-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #65
bmxbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Man, I was in your vicinity, Memorial day. Of course these are not times to be visiting folks...I have no fear of any virus, just want to respect other folk's ways and thoughts.

Look'n good in the Blue Springs neighborhood!!! I really DO like that bed on your pickup!!! Makes it look like a work'n mans rig, just as the older pickups did (my vision...)

Still am amazed at how much better it looks, compared to when you bought it with those crazy blingy wheels on it!!! LOL
Thanks! ha ha its come along way but it has a longggg way to go still! I like the bed because I can use it and not worry about messing it up! What where you doing up this way? Family?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #66
68Gold/white

I came up with some parts I wanted, both were in your area, too much freight to ship either.... Found a rear end for my 77 Trans Am in Lee's Summit, and some bumpers in Cleveland. The bumpers owner lives in Olathe, had the bumpers stored in Cleveland. Now I can say I've been to Cleveland...Missouri...LOL
Old 07-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #67
bmxbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
I came up with some parts I wanted, both were in your area, too much freight to ship either.... Found a rear end for my 77 Trans Am in Lee's Summit, and some bumpers in Cleveland. The bumpers owner lives in Olathe, had the bumpers stored in Cleveland. Now I can say I've been to Cleveland...Missouri...LOL
Ha ha Cleveland Missouri beautiful this time of year... lol I can honestly say I don't recall ever being in Cleveland, I assume small town? Nice score on the parts thats always the best road trips especially if they are exactly what you looking for.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #68
bmxbang

Got the transmission pulled today, A little worried as the rear main seal on the engine doesn't look as bad as I thought it might be, going to dig little deeper and make sure thats the source of my oil leak. Now to order some parts
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #69
68Gold/white

Hey, BM.
There's a cover at the back of the engine (or so, I've read...I've never had a LS apart, or seen the back of one...). The cover, covers up on e or two oil passages, which obviously have the potential to leak. On LS forums I've read, GM came up with an improved cover (this was likely years ago, newest pasts are likely ALL improved).

I'd replace or regasket that cover while the trans in out. I'd replace the rear main also, just because the trans is out..There's sensors and such in the vicinity of the back of the engine that will be easy to get to while trans is out. Mostly just "O" rings.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #70
bmxbang

Posted via Mobile Device