The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2019, 02:21 AM   #26
Andyking1203

Re: 67 SWB First Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurry67 View Post
Thanks man.

That's a good call on the wire wheel. I'll be doing the same thing on mine too. Also have a plethora of old mirror holes and trim holes to fill.

Your project is coming along nice, too. The rust repair and paint stripping is very time consuming.
I'm gonna fill the door lock holes on mine eventually.. and I think that's about it.. rust repair hasn't been that hard so far... (still have a lot to do!!!),

Thanks, this is my first time doing this major of a project as well...
Andyking1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #27
Scurry67

Finished stripping the passenger door outer skin. Will run the DA over it before I epoxy prime. Started filling the trim holes in the door as well as the badge holes. There were also some small dents that the previous owner just used filler over. I used the stud gun to start working them out. Still a little more to do, as well as old mirror holes to fill.

Last night I used some body filler on the dash. Still a little more to go over.

I'm trying to decide on which suspension kit to go with. Really looking hard between the ridetech street grip kit and the QA1 coilovers kit. If anyone has any opinion on either, it'd be great to hear. I'm gearing up to start accumulating parts for the chassis.

Al
Attached Images

Scurry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 AM   #28
Scurry67

Spent the evening in the shop tonight while the lady was out of town. Had a good night out there with the body work on the roof and passenger door. Need to touch up that body line on the back of the cab better. I removed the dents in the door from the PO. Also nearly have all the paint stripped off the door. All those tight grooves are tough to get to.

Goal this weekend is to get the door, driver fender and tailgate in primer.

Cheers

Al
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #29
raggedjim

Nice progress. Where did you get the shrinking tip for the stud gun? I have a cheap HF gun and have oil can dent on my bedside.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #30
Redneck Rydes

Nothing like a cup of Jack to get the job done, looking good!
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #31
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Nice progress. Where did you get the shrinking tip for the stud gun? I have a cheap HF gun and have oil can dent on my bedside.

Rg
Thanks.

I got the shrink tip from my dad who owns an auto parts and paint supply store back home. He has really helped me get my tool arsenal put together. I'm sure your local auto parts store has them, or last resort you can get them on Amazon.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #32
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rydes View Post
Nothing like a cup of Jack to get the job done, looking good!
Nothing like a stiff cocktail on a Saturday night!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #33
Scurry67

Didn't quite get everything done this weekend like I wanted to, but did make some progress. Finished stripping the passenger door and the driver fender. This afternoon I was able to get some 2k epoxy primer on the fender and door. Ran out of time to get the tailgate. Will try to get it next weekend.

Cheers

Al
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #34
zicc1835

Nice progress I’ll jump in for a ride if you don’t mind ����
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 AM   #35
Scurry67

Man it seems like I've been putting in the time but not much to show for it. I've been continuing with the paint stripping on the tailgate. The tailgate was pretty abused back in the day and there are quite a few little dings that have some surface rust in them. Trying to get in all of those little spots has been time consuming. Also I have been pulling the larger dings out with my stud gun. I'm half tempted to cut it open if it continues to be a pain.

While the air compressor is reloading for the DA on the tailgate I've been working on the grill trim. There were some small dents and it was sightly bent in a few locations. Used a hammer and some punches to work out those defects.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #36
Scurry67

Last night I was continuing on stripping the paint from the tailgate and pulling some of the small dents when I made a discovery. It looks like the tailgate has a pretty large bow in it...

At this point I'm not sure it's worth my time trying to fix that, as well as clean up all of the dents. I'm leaning towards buying a new tailgate. Anyone have any thoughts or advice? I didn't take a very good photo. I would say it's close to 3/8" - 1/2" bowed at the middle of the bottom of the tailgate.

While pondering that decision I decided to switch gears. I temporarily installed the driver front fender to see the fit with the door. That revealed some additional bodywork I needed to do to the door. I'm pretty sure this door used to have the large camper style mirror and at someone it was side swiped because there was some damage where it attached to the door skin. So I'll start working those dents out this weekend.

Al
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #37
SIXTY9

I got mine thru Nsane Hotrodz 856-761-0460, Great service and easy to deal with. I got the one that is plain.
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #38
TA_C10

Thumbs up Re: 67 SWB First Build

Quote:
Happy New year! I spent the day in the shop working on the truck. I had some oil-canning on the rear of the cab so I used a shrink tip for a stud welder to shrink the metal. Did not take much to get it back down.

Because I shaved the drip rails and welded the rocker/cab corner seam, I decide to weld the roof seam. Spent about an hour removing the old seam-sealer and then started welding. Hopefully get it finished up in the next couple of days.

Continued on the body filler for the back of the cab and a fender. It's starting to look pretty dang straight. If all goes well, should start using the glaze by next weekend.

Have a good New year.

Cheers 🍻

Al

Great progress, very nice work. Question. How did you get all the seam sealer out of your roof seam? I am a little behind your progress and am thinking of doing that same thing but a wire wheel didn't remove all the sealer when I did my floor pans sooo......

Keep up the good progress, it will start coming together before you know it.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #39
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXTY9 View Post
I got mine thru Nsane Hotrodz 856-761-0460, Great service and easy to deal with. I got the one that is plain.
Thanks. I'll have to look into them. Hoping if I go the route of a new tailgate that it's a quality product.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #40
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Great progress, very nice work. Question. How did you get all the seam sealer out of your roof seam? I am a little behind your progress and am thinking of doing that same thing but a wire wheel didn't remove all the sealer when I did my floor pans sooo......

Keep up the good progress, it will start coming together before you know it.
Hey thanks.

It wasn't too bad of a chore. The seam sealer was pretty dried up and semi brittle. I used an old small and beat up flathead screw driver and hammer to chisel it out. Just made sure that I wasn't going too hard with the hammer to deform the edges. It took about an hour to get it all clean.

I flipped through your build and it's starting to take shape. Nice work! Good luck removing the sealer. I'm sure you won't have much trouble.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #41
Andyking1203

Maybe search ebay or the for sale section on here.. shipping might cost a bit.. but it would be original
Old 01-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #42
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyking1203 View Post
Maybe search ebay or the for sale section on here.. shipping might cost a bit.. but it would be original
Yeah that is probably the route I'll go. It would have been a cool patina tailgate, but unfortunately that's not the route I'm going. Fingers crossed I can find something local.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #43
Andyking1203

Quote:
Yeah that is probably the route I'll go. It would have been a cool patina tailgate, but unfortunately that's not the route I'm going. Fingers crossed I can find something local.
Craigslist or Facebook for local I guess... good luck.. I got luck on mine..
Old 01-20-2019, 04:39 AM   #44
Scurry67

My dad came up for the day to give me a hand with some of the bodywork. We started putting some glaze on the fender and cab. Things are starting to look and feel pretty dang straight!

Also used my little sandblaster gun to clean up backside of the grill trim. Worked pretty good.

Will continue on the bodywork for the cab and body panels for the time being.

Also ordered a new Boyd fuel tank for the rear of the truck. Will slowly start accumulating parts for the chassis. I'm feeling pretty good about having the cab and body panels in primer by middle of spring
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #45
TA_C10

Looking good man. I hope to have mine pretty ready for paint by then too... I'm off for a few weeks so that helps but your looking like your going to hit your timeframe no problem.

Are you building a DD or a trailer queen?

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #46
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Looking good man. I hope to have mine pretty ready for paint by then too... I'm off for a few weeks so that helps but your looking like your going to hit your timeframe no problem.

Are you building a DD or a trailer queen?
Not planning on it being a DD but also not a trailer queen. Plan is to drive it around in nice weather and also on some short trips. I also might try hitting a few small local car shows. I'll definitely plan on putting some miles on it.

Nice job on all your metal work btw. Looks like you're making some awesome progress.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:45 AM   #47
Scurry67

I started the bodywork on the passenger fender last night. Finished sanding the body filler and now getting going on the glaze. Probably the toughest part about it is sanding in all the grooves by the headlight.

Question - what do most people do with the interior of the fender? My plan was to remove the little bit of surface rust and then coat It. I'm not entirely sure what type of product to use.

Thanks

Al
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 AM   #48
Andyking1203

Could just remove/sand the rust and then paint it...
Old 01-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #49
a.c.ward

when doing our builds, we prep as if for paint, Direct To Metal (DTM) primer, then color match exterior paint with Raptor Liner.

The picture shows the underside of the hood and the front fenders, but we do the bottom of the cab, underside of bed, underside front fenders, and wheel tubs in the back the same way.
Attached Images

66 El Camino

67 SWB underwent major Surgery- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776475
a.c.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:09 AM   #50
Scurry67

Spent a few hours in the shop this weekend. Used that time to finish sanding the passenger fender. Something about sanding makes progress seem so slow... Going to start on the body filler for the passenger door this week. Once I get the doors all sanded I'll get ready to spray some high build. Giddy up!

Al
Attached Images