The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #876
stangtjk

Re: What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshotrodblazer View Post
Can I get info on this. Pretty cool

Post 98 of my build has more details.

Short story is that it's a damper from a 2014-19 truck mounted inside the tailgate.
Attached Images

stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #877
bobshotrodblazer
BigBlockBobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtjk View Post
Post 98 of my build has more details.

Short story is that it's a damper from a 2014-19 truck mounted inside the tailgate.
Good idea...thanks
Old 08-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #878
lks dcvn

Swapped one Grant GT wheel out for another...been waiting to install the walnut one for awhile now.

I also fixed the turn signal cam while I was in there that has been broken since I bought the truck.

Slowly working on the interior as I get time and parts. I already picked up a set of parchment buckets that will be replacing the seats that are in this rig now.
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #879
SoCoC10

Took the K5 5 to Menard's Chevy Show Denver
Attached Images

SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #880
Chulisohombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoC10 View Post
Took the K5 5 to Menard's Chevy Show Denver
Looks like one clean k5
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #881
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Looked very nice. Looked like a nice show.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #882
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Cleaned out all the mouse turds.
Posted via Mobile Device
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:49 AM   #883
PDXk5

Installed my newly purchased 15x8 rims and tires!
Attached Images

Last edited by PDXk5; 08-11-2019 at 01:03 AM.
PDXk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #884
Copper116

I started replacing the corroded brake lines with copper alloy lines but run into areas I couldn't reach. So I ended paying the local repair shop to finish the job. Cost me $225.00 labor.
I have a question: I went to a reputable shop for the line replacements and they told me they are not licensed to work on vehicles 1972 and older ! I never heard of such a thing. Anyone hear anything like that. This is in Michigan.
Copper116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:42 PM   #885
En Fuego 69

Cut some patch panels on the doors.... fought with some frozen u bolts prepping for the new front axle this coming weekend while simultaneously using mass amounts of profanity. After a couple beers decided they will get the good old fire wrench
Attached Images

En Fuego 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #886
Chulisohombre

Sometimes the fire wrench is the only way. Especially on trucks that are almost 50 years old now.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #887
Haggar

(Actually a couple days ago..) Installed new seats, so my kids have shoulder belts. These are from a 2010 Escalade.

I did the mounting a little different than others. I don't care about the removable rails for the rears, so I removed all of the brackets, which leaves you with seats with nice flat bottoms and flat metal tabs to mount to. I welded a simple metal frame, which reused the legs off the original seats (bolts into the stock mounts in the floor). I have amplifiers under the seat that I wanted clearance for. The Drivers side also only used the seat, stripped of all the factory frame, and then mounted pretty easily to my pre-existing sliders. The passenger seat kept the flip/fold base from the Cadillac, it's nice and flips up like it was meant for the Jimmy.
Attached Images

Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #888
Chulisohombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
(Actually a couple days ago..) Installed new seats, so my kids have shoulder belts. These are from a 2010 Escalade.

I did the mounting a little different than others. I don't care about the removable rails for the rears, so I removed all of the brackets, which leaves you with seats with nice flat bottoms and flat metal tabs to mount to. I welded a simple metal frame, which reused the legs off the original seats (bolts into the stock mounts in the floor). I have amplifiers under the seat that I wanted clearance for. The Drivers side also only used the seat, stripped of all the factory frame, and then mounted pretty easily to my pre-existing sliders. The passenger seat kept the flip/fold base from the Cadillac, it's nice and flips up like it was meant for the Jimmy.
Looks real nice. I want to do the same at some point.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:42 AM   #889
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I installed some American Billet tail light bezels. If you're not using factory trim, these are awesome...

https://allamericanbilletstore.com/1...-btl-6772-c10/

Attached Images

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #890
kmg123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Great looking truck.. Small world. I saw it in the Kroger parking lot in Lake Orion on Saturday and admired the seats!
kmg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #891
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Installing an American Autowire builder harness... I decided to install some flange mount Deutsche connectors on the firewall for the front and rear light harness ...
* picture is sideways for some reason
Attached Images

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 08-26-2019 at 06:44 PM.
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #892
litebulblsc

Hooked the sending unit up and seen my gas gauge works. Kind of want to go get some gas just to watch the needle go up.
litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #893
Moreyel

Made progress on my floor removal and rebuild project
Attached Images

Thinking of putting a 50 Chevy cab on a 76 Chev 4 WD pickup.

Members Met: Aldtime, DeadheadNM
Moreyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #894
simicrintz

Washed and waxed for fall!
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #895
ochre1971

Installed double wall top for the winter.
Not sure if others have done this, but it's usually an all day job getting bolt holes to line up and to get everything to thread properly.
This year I cut down some bolts and essentially pre-installed studs into the top. Dropped the top and everything was lined up in one shot.
Major time saver. And I didn't have to worry near as much about cross-threading a bolt into an ancient captured nut.
Attached Images

ochre1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #896
Chulisohombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochre1971 View Post
This year I cut down some bolts and essentially pre-installed studs into the top. Dropped the top and everything was lined up in one shot.
Major time saver. And I didn't have to worry near as much about cross-threading a bolt into an ancient captured nut.
I thought about doing that but was thinking it would be just as hard to line up and drop at the same time without scratching the paint on the bed pretty badly. Plus I already have like four or five bolts broken off inside the top that I can’t get out already. So I only have to line up four bolts per side right now. But my top is on for winter as well.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #897
litebulblsc

Top partially on for the winter
Attached Images

litebulblsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #898
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochre1971 View Post
Installed double wall top for the winter.
Not sure if others have done this, but it's usually an all day job getting bolt holes to line up and to get everything to thread properly.
Can you elaborate on how your system of cutting down bolts and pre-installing studs into the top works? I agree that trying line up the bolts with the capture nut without cross threading is challenging.

Is there is a more efficient way to reinstall the tops on these Blazers/Jimmies?

Thanks!
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:41 AM   #899
3757chevy

I installed my winter tires and wheels. Those 32-11.50x15 look good but that last snow storm was a little squirrely.
Attached Images

MIKE
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #900
ochre1971

@GreenMonster -
I picked up a dozen 2" SS carriage bolts that fit the captured nuts. Ran them through all the nuts in the top and chased any that needed it. Then cut the heads off of the nuts and ground a taper on one end of each. This is the real benefit, being able to easily access each nut while the top is in the air and being able to thread them properly.
(In retrospect, I'm not sure that grinding the taper on each was necessary. The thought process being it would allow the bolts to find the holes more easily with a little play to get them started.)

I installed a bolt into each nut in the top with loctite. I used blue, but would probably use red if I did it again. All of them held, except for one. I think my threads weren't perfect from the grinding process on that one and the nut ended up turning the bolt. Still worked, but better to make sure your threads are tip top, and red loctite would help. Come spring, we'll see if any of the bolts come out when removing the nuts. Even if they do, it'll be easy enough to reinstall them.

On my lift set up, the top sits on 2x4's which I lower on to the bed rails. Then get inside and lift the top with my back while I, or a helper, removes the 2x4's. Then gently lower the top into the holes.

FWIW, this is the lift set up I wish I had the tools to make, a much slicker system and would work with a roll bar.
From BobbyK:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398105

I then worked from the back to the front adding a washer, lock washer and a nut to each bolt.

I would say it easily cut the time frame down below half of the previous method, and if I remember correctly, I'm not sure there was even one cuss word involved. The old way involved several.

Let me know if that explains it sufficiently, or if you were looking for anything else specific.
Attached Images

ochre1971 is offline   Reply With Quote