The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
fijman

How to attack the B pillar

Alright, I need some advice on how to repair the B pillar. I've looked through builds but didn't see an explanation. I know I need the patch panels from GMC Paul's. But is it easier to cut the outside panel to get to the area or the interior pillar. Also is there a plate at the bed floor that matches the interior B pillar? I couldn't tell if this was stock or added after some rust ate some of the interior pillar away.
Attached Images

fijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: How to attack the B pillar

You may need to open up both sides as the B-pillar (that is already missing in pic 2) may also illuminate some rust behind it.

The metal you see at the top of the B-pillar (where the bedside and floor meet) doesn't appear stock to me.

The challenge of the B-pillar is the multiple panels that all join in that area.

You can take a peek at my build post to see how I attacked it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341224

The B-pillar stuff starts with post #78 and goes on from there...
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
fijman

Thanks for the advice. I think it looks off becuase the bottom of the B pillar is pushing out. there is a good 2 inches of movement when i push the quarter in at the bottom. Now i just gotta figure out how to pull the pillar in while i weld everything together. If anyone has a preference to the strongest weld point for the bottom of the b pillar that would be helpful. I was thinking about welding a rod on the inside of the b pillar to pull it in. then weld the rocker to the b piller. Hopefully i can leave enough gap to weld something to the bottom of the square part of the pillar.
fijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
69-72

The piece that the latch attaches to is the same as a pickup truck. I would recommend getting an original donor piece from a truck it'll be alot more accurate than repro metal.

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
Martyt

^^^ agree regarding using GM steel whenever possible (even for patches); IMO there is a noticeable difference versus repop. Using original steel also provides flexibility relative to the amount of metal you have to work with (versus being relegated to the repop manufacturer's view).
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #6
jaros44sr

I would start with rehanging your door, this will give you a vertical point to position your 'b' post. take everything out of the door, it will make it lighter to handle, then you can brace it with cross ties to keep in place. there are 5 or 6 pieces of metal that tie into that area. I added an additional piece for further support

on page 5 of my build it starts to cover the 'b' post

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #7
7D2N

figman, just from looking at the pictures, the rocker box that supports the underbody doesn't look to be there, IMO these are an important part for support and repair of the B pillar. Did this blazer have saddle tanks?
7D2N