The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
Youey

Driving myself crazy

I do been working on a 1969 chevy stepside for 2 years now which when I get time I do small things. I threw a new 350 crate motor in in vintage air and redid the whole interior. The trucks by no means anyway perfect. I'm at the point now of paint body work was a total disaster, truck must have been painted 10 plus times with all different colors and I shoulda known how bad it was when I bought it. Little to no rust, once I started removing all the paint is when I found out how bad it really was someone decided instead of fixing the dents they would just bondo the hell out of them. So anyway i find out it seems it was a farm truck and maybe a woods truck at one time hard to say but dents beyond dents. So I did my best by making it look pretty good, but it's still not perfect. Last night I primed it for the second time after going over the body with and fixing little things. Am I crazy to not want imperfections when the rest of the truck really beat up? I do my own work on everything so it's frustrating to not get the best results. It's getting a shop logo on it so it's a shop truck so it's not meant to be show quality. How far do you take your shop truck as far as body work goes and does it make you regret you didn't go further?
Youey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Driving myself crazy

If getting it perfect isn't possible just go with it. Get the dents as good as possible without wasting your life away and be done with it. Even with some dings and dents fresh paint will make a huge difference. Nobody can tell you what your willing to accept. You have to make that decision for yourself.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
Youey

Yeah I've knocked out the dents and straightened the metal best as possible then skim coated, prep is everything I've painted 2 other cars in the past, which came out great due to good straight lines, I'm just kicking myself for how banged up it is
Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
hugger6933

High build primer and sanding blocks and then some guide coat. Those three things will make you a better body man than before. If nothing else, wrap sand paper on a paint stick to work on your body spots it will make a huge difference. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
Youey

Been using eastwoods 2k primer, never thought of using a high build primer
May have to buy a quart and shoot the cab with it