The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #26
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: Project: Blue Devil 89 K5 Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
That sucks.. So are you just going to have the crank cleand up? Looks like you are getting it done..
I still have the crank that the guy bought when he did what he did, so I now also have the piston rings, a full bearing kit, and the whole shebang. The problem is now if I get it apart this far, the question is, why not bore it, then throw a new cam and bearings in, and have a basicly new motor. Then a couple of months down the road I can put Vortec heads on it, and have a pretty decent little ride on my hands.

Or, plan B. is I stuff it back together, put the gaskets in it, and stuff it in the hole, get it running so I have something to drive.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #27
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
I still have the crank that the guy bought when he did what he did, so I now also have the piston rings, a full bearing kit, and the whole shebang. The problem is now if I get it apart this far, the question is, why not bore it, then throw a new cam and bearings in, and have a basicly new motor. Then a couple of months down the road I can put Vortec heads on it, and have a pretty decent little ride on my hands.

Or, plan B. is I stuff it back together, put the gaskets in it, and stuff it in the hole, get it running so I have something to drive.

You have to put a cam in it, it's so easy to do so at this time..

Last edited by tvblazer78; 12-28-2008 at 07:36 PM.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #28
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
You have to put a cam in it, it's so easy to do so at this time..
Yeah, but I got laid off of my job a week before christmas, so im having to be a bit money wise right now...
Old 12-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #29
Boog
laying low

Oh man. Nick I believe I'd have a machine shop check that block real good before I spent any money on it. These 88 up blocks are made of good metal but are still prone to cracking just under the deck on the lifter valley side. Mine was.
Never a good time to get laid off but it seems a lot worse right at Christmas time. You have enough odd job side work to get by for a while?
If the block is ok and the cylinders look ok you can get away with a light honejob and put that thing together and have you a driver fairly cheap. You are keeping it fuel injected right? Tell me that Einstien didn't rip the wiring out too.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #30
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Oh man. Nick I believe I'd have a machine shop check that block real good before I spent any money on it. These 88 up blocks are made of good metal but are still prone to cracking just under the deck on the lifter valley side. Mine was.
Never a good time to get laid off but it seems a lot worse right at Christmas time. You have enough odd job side work to get by for a while?
If the block is ok and the cylinders look ok you can get away with a light honejob and put that thing together and have you a driver fairly cheap. You are keeping it fuel injected right? Tell me that Einstien didn't rip the wiring out too.
He did, but I was smart and got the harness with the motor. So... I be in business.

I checked out the main bearings, they are all good to go, in a bit I am going to go out and yank the crank and throw the other one I already have in it. The only rod bearings that were really bad were 1&2, the rest were all pretty decent and were runnable.

The compression numbers on this thing were all over 120, and the Main journal bearings looked pretty decent too for a 100K motor. So the new crank will have all new bearings, and I am going to put all new gaskets in it, including head gaskets.

I will be putting it all back stock, less a cadaletic converter. I figure it is my best bet to make a driver out of it, then I am going to put a new carpet kit in the front, and just ditch the carpet in the rear, use it as a driver while I am getting the frame for my dually built. As soon as the dually is ready to go back on the road I am going to see if I can get like 2500 out of the blazer.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #31
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Tonight, I kicked some butt in a big way.

Cranks in!

And how do you install a crank with out removing the pistons?

Lower it into place with a cherry picker, leave it suspended a couple of inches above the block and run the pistons down the bore to meet the rods with the crank then lower the whole works in place. Works like a champ. Whole thing went off with out a hitch.

Tomorrow I will be over helping kirk, Tuesday I am going to yank the heads, throw new gaskets in, stuff it all back together and then stuff it in the blazer after slapping a coat of paint on it.

I am toying with the idea of building a 400CI Bowtie small block if I keep this thing and stuffing it in with a Sequential MPEFI and a 4L80E That would sure turn it into a peppy little ride. We will see how good of a rig it is all reassembled.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #32
justpball

coming together nicely!

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #33
ChaseDale3and8

Man I have to say one thing. You're a hell of a lot better man than I am! I'd have choked somebody until they turned a darker shade of blue than your Blazer is for the way they treated it after you tried to help them out! Some people! Good luck with the rebuild. I'll be watching it. ...Joe
Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #34
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
Man I have to say one thing. You're a hell of a lot better man than I am! I'd have choked somebody until they turned a darker shade of blue than your Blazer is for the way they treated it after you tried to help them out! Some people! Good luck with the rebuild. I'll be watching it. ...Joe
I think at this point the only thing saving his skin is the fact that he is in Oregon and I am in Texas. If it were not for that, I don't think that I could keep the stern talking to that I would give him from boiling over into something that is far from kittens and cupcakes.

The past two days all I have done is chase small parts, you know the small stuff that if you know what you are doing when you take it off you stick it in a zip lock bag and then label it, placing it in a box or on a shelf where you can find it, you know that kind of stuff, I have purchased a couple of hundred dollars worth of that stuff.

Right now I have the Engine in the truck and all hooked up except for the radiator and fan, The transmission is in, and needs to be filled, along with the T-case, next I need to hook up the drive shafts, and the linkage for the shifter. As soon as that is done, I will be ready to fire it up after adding some fuel of course. Funny thing happened while it was sitting, some one siphoned it all out. I am going to be purchasing locking gas caps for everything, well that and waiting for the German Shepherd puppy to grow up into a very large scary looking dog, that always keeps the theft down.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #35
ChaseDale3and8

Someone stole the gas too? Damn dude, talk about kicking you when you are down! Good luck with your build in any case. Looks like you are headed in the right direction to make it a nice truck again. It's just a shame that there have to be people like that out in the world. I was brought up that if you borrow something....ANYTHING....you take it back in the condition that you borrowed it in if not in better shape.

I borrowed a cherry picker from one of my neighbors a couple of years back to unload a 350 that I had bought along with a bunch of other parts. I noticed that one of the wheels on it was getting to be in pretty bad shape. Just as a courtesy to him for letting me borrow it I bought and installed a new wheel. When I took it back, he was speechless, and very happy to say the least. It wasn't that big of a deal to me. It was just a way of saying thanks to my neighbor.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that for what you did for these people they should have at the very least kept up on the maintenance and appearance of the vehicle. Some people are just so ungrateful that it really gets my blood boiling when I hear about a story like this! I'd choke 'em for ya if they were anywhere close to me! Good luck man. I'll be watching to see how it all comes together. ...Joe
Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #36
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
Someone stole the gas too? Damn dude, talk about kicking you when you are down! Good luck with your build in any case. Looks like you are headed in the right direction to make it a nice truck again. It's just a shame that there have to be people like that out in the world. I was brought up that if you borrow something....ANYTHING....you take it back in the condition that you borrowed it in if not in better shape.

I borrowed a cherry picker from one of my neighbors a couple of years back to unload a 350 that I had bought along with a bunch of other parts. I noticed that one of the wheels on it was getting to be in pretty bad shape. Just as a courtesy to him for letting me borrow it I bought and installed a new wheel. When I took it back, he was speechless, and very happy to say the least. It wasn't that big of a deal to me. It was just a way of saying thanks to my neighbor.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that for what you did for these people they should have at the very least kept up on the maintenance and appearance of the vehicle. Some people are just so ungrateful that it really gets my blood boiling when I hear about a story like this! I'd choke 'em for ya if they were anywhere close to me! Good luck man. I'll be watching to see how it all comes together. ...Joe

I am the same way.. Some people
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #37
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:

Well Joe I appreciate the kind words, and I know right where you are coming from. Its the mentality, you know I was always taught you leave things the same if not better than you found them. You open a gate you close it behind you, you clean up your messes.

Too bad more people cant understand these things today. But sadly morality is becoming a rarity.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #38
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Well, I tried starting it last night, and she wouldn't go, I am not getting any spark. It was about 2 in the morning when I finally turned it over, and nuthin.

I have worked really hard on the damn thing the past couple of weeks, and today I took the day off, I am hurting pretty bad from 8-18 hour days crawling around on and under this thing.

It has been really frustrating the last 2 days, most of my time has been spent trying to find nuts bolts and pieces, or chasing down the right parts from the parts house. Little things like that which all combined can murder a day.

Tomorrow am I am going to drag my but out there and start whittling away on the no spark problem, hopefully it is something simple like a busted wire or a blown fuse.

I really do need to take some pictures.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #39
ChaseDale3and8

You'll figure it out. It's most likely something very simple. You might have forgotten to plug something in or hook up a ground or something like that since you had to change some of the wiring harness.

When you get that tired and frustrated you tend to forget the simple stuff, at least that's how it is with me. If I spend too much time at once on something I usually overdo it. When I start a project like this, I end up thinking that I'm going to get it all done in one day! That's when I tend to forget to hook something simple up and then have to back track to find out what I forgot to do. Yes, by all means post up some more pictures! I'd like to see how it's coming along. ...Joe
Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #40
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Well I think I know what it is, I think that out of the 2 distributors I have that the pickups in both are bad. Both dizzys that I have are really corroded up, Tomorrow if I can get the time I am going to head down and get a new pickup, and all the other innards for the dizzy and rebuild it. I think that should get er running. She has sparked and fired a couple of times, but never run. The coil is getting power and checks out fine.

So hopefully this weekend I will be driving it.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #41
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

sounds great! keep up the good work!!!
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #42
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Well after dumping a ton of cash into this thing, I have decided to sell it. I found out tonight that the computer is bad, I am out of cash and out of time. I need to get it gone.

you all can see the add here > 89 Blazer for sale
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #43
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

That sucks man. I know all about running out of funds. That's why I had to dump the 72 I had...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote