The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Lowering a 79 2wd Blazer - ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
It's been a while John. So how's it looking now? I just noticed yours is almost the same color as the 82 Ken posted for sale.
Boog, it looks like it did when I bought it except the backend is full of boxes of parts. I haven't done squat yet except start buying parts. We've just finished moving. What a pain in the arse. And I still haven't got the other house 100% ready to sell, but it's already on the market. I hope to get started on the Blazer soon. I wanted to do this one quick but it's off to a slow start!
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #27
Boog
laying low

OH man! I hear ya on that domestic thing. First things first. Well good news...It'll be spring before long and you can work on it in more comfortable weather.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #28
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Jim, you'll dig it. It'll be 400+ hp on the motor and it'll have at least 150 hp of spray. I'm going to run the 200 hp jets of spray if I can without adding a separate fuel pump, we'll see.

Project GONZO!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
Boog
laying low

I like it. I like it! Now I know why you wanted new rear springs.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 AM   #30
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Blazin79,... Don't be surprised if you don't get a full two inches. New springs usually means they are going to raise it up. Add a 2" shackle and you might be right back to where you are now. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. Are you going to pull a trailer? Is that why you want to change the springs? Why not just add the shackles to your "sagging" springs?
Too many distractions the past few months, but thankfully I have time to start in on the Blazer again. It hasn't been driven in months.

The new rear springs are a 'must have' - I don't know yet if I'll run a small block or big block but goals are at least 400 on the motor + spray. I can't have weak springs doing some axle-wrap and breaking things. I decided to get the rear springs installed instead of doing it myself when the mechanic I use said he'd do it for $100. So I'll drop it off Monday or Tuesday. I'm terrified about going to pick it up and it looking jacked up in the rear. But whatever, I'll deal with it.

The 15x10 rallys came in grey primer so I need to paint those and get some tires on. Then I can decide how low it needs to go to get the look I want.

I wish I could paint the wheels this weekend but it's supposed to storm all weekend. But I'll get some pics up with just the new rear springs on when I pick it up. Wheels and tires will be on soon enough. I'm just glad to be back on the project.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #31
blazn79

Blazin79, I'm also in search of some new leafs for my 2wd blazer
before I drop it, could you direct me to were you got yours for a good price?

-Blazn79
blazn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #32
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Give these guys a call:

http://www.huskyspring.com/Default.taf

The direct replacement springs are pretty steep but the sales guy was great, we went through all the options for the truck and there was a set of pickup springs with nearly identical specs that were less than half the cost of the direct replacement springs.

I have the specs of all the options for the truck at work. I'll bring them home tomorrow and post them.

Nice screen name.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #33
blazn79

Cool thanks Bro, ya I just registerd last month
but today was the first time I posted and saw your user name
it was bizzare that I was just one letter off yours!
I picked up a nice black 2wd 79' from up state NY from the original owner
70k miles never driven in winter and hasn't been on the road since 99'
rustiest part on the truck was the battery tray! I'll have to get some pics
now and as the work progresses over the next few months.
Its gonna look kick-ass next to my 97' 2dr 2wd GMC Yukon.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:53 AM   #34
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

See the attachment for spring specs. Here's my take on them and how I ended up with the pair I bought.

The 4x4 pickup springs are 1/8" higher and a little softer but less than half the price. I'm not towing heavy loads with it, I have another truck for that duty. This is a cruiser. So that's what I'm getting installed tomorrow. I won't really know what I'm dealing with until I get wheels and tires on. I have 15x10 rallys to go all around but now I'm not sure on the tire size. Original plans were 275/60's but now I'm wondering if 255/60's will look better - I don't want them sticking out a bunch. A little is ok. The 275's are an inch taller so they will fill the wheel-well better and reduce the amount it'll need to be lowered to look right. But I can always remove the overload spring.

Lots of options! We'll see what it looks like tomorrow evening.

BLZN79 will likely end up on my tag when I get around to the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: txt blazer springs.txt (507 Bytes, 102 views)
Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #35
blazn79

Sounds good Bro, you'll have to get me some stance pics with the wheels on
when its all back together.
I checked out thier website, its deffinity the best one I've seen for leafs!

H.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #36
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Keep us updated and post some new pics..
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 AM   #37
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
Keep us updated and post some new pics..
Travis, you must be real bored to be watching this thread. Love your truck, you have good taste.

Anyway, I finally got to pick it up today. It looks so funny I'd probably tear up if I didn't know it'll work out. ASS HIGH! It looks era-correct, all it needs is Cragar SS wheels, big tires on back, and glass-packs. Wait, it's got glass-packs...

Ok, it's not that bad but it is worse than I expected. The stock springs were really shot. But it's at the correct height, at least according to LMC. 34" to the rear fender lip. I should have taken a before measurement... They should settle a little but not much. It's going to have to come down 2", maybe 3". I'm thinking 2" shackle drop and maybe remove the overload spring. I won't know for sure until I get the new wheels and tires on and that may take a while - I'm pricing getting the wheels powder coated.

Last edited by 68Timber; 04-12-2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: image added
Old 04-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #38
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Looks good very clean. Now did 79 come with a gas door or did someone put it on? Hey man keep it up..

Travis..

Last edited by tvblazer78; 04-13-2008 at 03:34 AM.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #39
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblazer78 View Post
Looks good very clean. Now did 79 come with a gas door or did someone put it on? Hey man keep it up..

Travis..
Thanks. The pictures make it look better than it is, it's complete but time has taken it's toll. The usual, a few dash cracks, faded door panels, original carpet needs replacing, seats need to be recovered, etc.

The fuel filler door is factory as far as I know. Aside from stance and a cowl hood I plan to keep it looking stock. The drivetrain will be upgraded but not so radical as to lose power brakes and A/C.

I checked the yellow pages and found a local co. that does powdercoating. If they can do GM Rally Silver there may not be as much down-time on the wheels and new BFG's will be on shortly after I get them back.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #40
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Good score, I can get the wheels powder coated locally for $35/wheel so I'm getting all five done. He's backed up a little and asked me to come by Monday. So I may have wheels and tires on next week depending on how long the powder coating takes.

My measurements say the rear has to come down 3" to match the sagging front which is about where I want it. I'll know for sure when the new wheels and tires are on - 15x10 ralleys all the way around with 275/60 15's.

When I get there, the questions will follow...
Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #41
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quick update, just so you know I haven't died or given up. I dropped the new 15x10 rally's off to get powdercoated many weeks back and they're sitting on them. A buddy mentioned a place that powdercoats that I didn't know about and I called them. Two week turnaround tops. They're checking to see if they can get GM Rally Silver. I'll settle for something real close.

Has anyone done 275/60's all around on 15x10's? I check in almost daily, it seems like that combo is an issue, but from the threads I've read it was only mentioned by guys with much more drop than I want. Will a 2"/2" be OK?

Thanks.