The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #26
AsianBlazer

Re: weekend purchase

Well that didn't work! My narrative isn't the greatest, but its all for fun. Here is the URL link:

AsianBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #27
greguw

Nice ride ! Had the top off yet ...
greguw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #28
AsianBlazer

No, no top off yet. It keeps raining here in Portland! Also, I don't have a space for the top. Just trying to get it tuned right, having issues with fuel delivery now. Installed a new Carter fuel pump and filter, but it still doesn't want to push the needed 6-7 pounds of pressure to the engine. It leans out under full throttle on the chassis dyno, adjusted the jets and it richened it a little but not enough to run wide open. Might need to to go with a stronger pump, Maybe an Aeroquip street/strip.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #29
MalibuSSwagon

amazing! Love the custom chassis. Your Dad is the man, and its great you got the truck back after all these years
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #30
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Man thats just cool.. It looks like it has a custome made frame from the front to the back. Lots of work to make that happen..

After I saw the clip you said all of that, my bad.

Last edited by tvblazer78; 07-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #31
AsianBlazer

No problem! Yes, the frame was made by a rail dragster builder in Eugene. My dad figured out he was twisting the stock one after doing some test launches off a concrete section of the I-5 freeway shoulder! So, he spared no expense in making sure it was done right. Unfortunately everything was finally finished on the day he passed away from cancer in Sep. of 96, so the chassis has never been set up properly or the 4-link measured. I just installed a set of Aldan shocks and coils up front, one of the old ones just snapped in half while driving over a speed bump! Thanks for looking!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
AsianBlazer

By the way TVBlazer, what is that wheel tire combo on yours? Did you have to backspace a serious amount on the rears to clear the rolled lip on the inside of the rear fenders? My wheel tire combo, chosen 16 years ago by the old man, sticks out a little too much, so when you hammer it and the 4-link squats those rolled fender areas come right down onto the sidewalls. I am afraid of an explosion on both rears. I have considered tubing, but just wondered how much you have under your with an unmodified wheel well.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #33
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

That's an awesome Blazer, glad to hear you got your fathers truck back.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #34
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBlazer View Post
By the way TVBlazer, what is that wheel tire combo on yours? Did you have to backspace a serious amount on the rears to clear the rolled lip on the inside of the rear fenders? My wheel tire combo, chosen 16 years ago by the old man, sticks out a little too much, so when you hammer it and the 4-link squats those rolled fender areas come right down onto the sidewalls. I am afraid of an explosion on both rears. I have considered tubing, but just wondered how much you have under your with an unmodified wheel well.
I was looking at one of your pics and I saw that, I have 295-50-20 on a 11" wheel out back. I did roll the inner to make them work, but no probs with it. I am sure your off set would have to be dif from mine with the 9" out back.

Trav
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #35
AsianBlazer

Finally have my fuel issues worked out! Installed a new Edelbrock 800cfm AVS Thunder Series carb and tossed the Holley 750 double pumper in the trash. Amazing difference, much crisper response and roll on throttle. Brought the Blazer over to my mechanic and chassis dyno tuned it, just had to adjust the primaries three times, secondaries were just about perfect. This video is the wide open throttle pulls one and two. Primary pulls were cool, but these are better!

The sound was flat out awesome!

http://youtu.be/9niQnMIPLVM
Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Sounds great! How'd it do?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #37
AsianBlazer

Thanks Bruiser, it put down solid numbers, 496hp at the wheel and a pretty consistent torque of 500 lbs at 4000 rpm! I will take that all day long, for now..
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #38
Hertzdaddy

Love the Blazer. I'm doing something similar but with a built 514 Caddy. I noticed a couple things about your truck that have me wondering.

On the brake booster pic there is a small valve or something connected to the vacuum line. What is that?

Also, the rear coilovers look like they are mounted on a stud. That seems a little under-engineered for what you are putting out. In fact it looks like they may already be deforming a little. Is it just a stud or is there more to it than pictured?

Great story too.
Hertzdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #39
ctouchet

What color is that?
ctouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #40
mud.man.rj

Checked out you Blazer, nice well thought out truck, wise man you father, really tried to plan it out, always new updated for today but the main work was done by your dad, nice to have it back I bet. Keep us posted going to be nothing but cooler, sounds really nice too, love big blocks, nothing compares for sure.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #41
AsianBlazer

Shot a new video showing some updates and additions to the Blazer, hope you like it!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #42
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

Totally sweet blazer! Cool that you got it back after all those years. Motor sounds great! Might not wanna put those roll pans on. First time someone bumps you with roll pans.....hellooooo body work. Bumper look good black.
I like the old school look. Gotta love them Convo pros.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #43
mud.man.rj

I like the extras you were able to add on the Blazer, needs a bit of paint on the brake booster, just that the master cyl is sooo nice now. As foe roll pans I add a rear to almost everything and have added the front to a few but Texas is right have to be careful and small town traffic is usually alright but city traffic is a bit more dangerous for costly bodywork, what you like though is what matters, would really smooth the truck out a lot more.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
AsianBlazer

Thanks for the comments Texas Square and Mud Man,
Yeah, the roll pans are up for a decision, I have them already, just not installed. The bumpers are fiberglass front and rear and are beginning to crack/warp so I need to do something. The brake booster, I know, should'a, would'a, could'a when I bought the master cylinder! Every time I open the hood I kick myself. Its next. Just installed the Wilwood Big 6 Brake Kit, 6 piston calipers, slotted & drilled 12.19" rotors, man that thing stops!! Ordered a new dash pad from Brothers too. I like the convo pro's too, Have thought of going with some Forgeline SP3P 18' wheels all around and having the Convo's powder coated black as my dad had them back in his time, except he rattled canned them right out of the box!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #45
Hertzdaddy

Nice. You must have some pretty good vacuum to get that Edelbrock to work on that big cube motor.

If you really threw that 750DP in the trash I'd be happy to take it off your hands for the price of shipping, that is if the trash man hasn't already come.
Hertzdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #46
67cheby
67cheby

SWEET Blazer !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #47
AsianBlazer

Thanks Hertz & 67,

Yes, excellent vacuum throughout, I was very surprised at the Edelbrock's performance, after the dyno runs I am a believer. Too late on the 750 Holley, I gave it to my brother who thinks his Vette has a chance against the Blazer, it would make for an interesting episode of the original format of Pinks, at least they would stay in the family!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #48
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I love the idea of doing the convo-pros in black powder coat.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build