The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Don't tell my wife

Went and looked at a 79 K5 this morning. Hope I didn't get taken to badly, got it for 2/3 of what he was asking though, and I could count the bills I gave him with fingers from on one hand... so I think I'm ok. Plus it drove the 2 miles back to my shop with out any issues. Not sure what the transfer case is or transmission, but I know it has a 400 small block.

I gotta figure out how to get the rear window to roll down though. They put a different tailgate on it and did not have the key for it. Plus the switch on the dash is gone and I can't even find the wires for it. Anyone know what color wires are even supposed to be there for the dash switch to roll the rear window down? I hate to think of it, but I guess I might be able to punch the lock in the rear and see if I can just get it work with a screwdriver.
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: Don't tell my wife

5 years ago or so it was hit in the drivers hinge pillar. They put a new aftermarket fender and liner in it and a used door, but then the door would not line up or close. The pillar is drove in a good inch or more, and now the pillar with the striker is ripped out. Hoping we can just pull the pillar our and then maybe weld a piece of iron in so the striker has something to hold it in place.

I'm still cleaning it out, was lots of junk inside it (to the victor go the spoils?). Hell I'm finding lots of parts and tools and stuff, still new in wrappers, plus all the front end stuff they left off like the bezel and lamps.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
tobiahr

don't punch the lock in the rear. it'll ruin the switch and those aren't cheap. looks like the rear inside cover is off in the pics. thats the best way to raise and lower the window if there is no switch. you should be able to see the wires leading to the regulator coming from the drivers side bottom. i have seen a few just cut off the pigtail with about a 10 inch (maybe longer) lead and power the regulator with a cordless drill battery. will save a few bucks in the long run

Last edited by tobiahr; 04-03-2011 at 06:46 AM.
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
russgt

Did it have a spare tire carrier on it at one time?
07 Sierra Z71
17 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I just about have it cleaned out inside. I filled a 55 gallon trash can 3 times already. I'm trying to get it cleared where I can actually get my fat butt in the back and manually roll the window down. If I remember, there is a cable that drives it all and I can unhook it and manually get it down, I hope. That is my next step. I did find the switch and the pigtail finally amongst all the trash, got it plugged in with high hopes only to be shot down with nothing happening.

Yes it had an external spare tire mount on it, that is what ruined the last tailgate according to the PO. He put this tailgate off of an 88 K5.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Well, got the rear window down. Appears they had it all apart because something ain't right. The cable was laying in there loose, and I was able to just hook it to my drill and wheel it down real fast. Of course the glass is not connected to the regulator, so it was a little challenge. I'm really thinking the 88 model tailgate is just a bit different or something, I'll cross that bridge later though. With any luck I'll find a used gate with a manual crank on it and my problems will be solved.
Got all the crap out and sorted, found everything I need to put the front lamps and such back together. Also have the original trim panel from the drivers door as well as the mirrors.
Had a lot of misc tools, new and old, rattle cans of different flavors and misc tune up parts and what nots. Was a nice emergency roadside kit as well, with a pancho and can of fix a flat and jumper cables etc, brand new never opened.
I think as long as I can get the door opening and closing, I might hang on to this clunker for a bit. Never have had a K5 and took the top off. Granted it really looks like this top has never ever been off, would almost be a shame to take it off. But I'd get over it I'm sure.
Tomorrow I'll start figuring out what transfer case and such is in it and start looking at the engine a little closer so I know more of what I got and if I really want to keep it or part it out or just sell it.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Sweet find looks like an awesome buy! Have fun with the project.
Posted via Mobile Device
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

looks like you have a NP203 transfer case, judging by the shifter knob. Full time, chain drive, iron case. The 88 tailgate shell is the same from '73, but some of the power regulator stuff may be different. As far as the pillar is in, I think you would come out a lot farther ahead if you parted it, unless you were inclined to put a plow on it for the winter time.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

That pillar will be an easy fix though. At least according to my bodyman. I told him I was going to load it on the machine and use the lower hinge to tug on. Of course that made him cringe and he said he'd help me with it and do it right, . Welding the striker back in shouldn't be that big of a challenge either, I have the old pieces so it should help. Hind site I wish I had the old '73 sitting here that we got for free last year and hauled off for scrap. Would really be easy with a chunk out of the post from something.

I'm gonna make sure the column wobble will fix (like all the others I've done before) easy enough and go from there. It is starting right up every time and driving around pretty nice, other than having to chase the steering wheel around (wobble) and hold the door shut. I'm thinking I can get it where I can just drive it for a bit, maybe take the top off and have some summer fun in it and not give a damn about how it looks. At most get some rattle cans or use up the rest of this old DP epoxy primer/sealer and cover up the rusting A/M fender and the places we weld up. Maybe toss one of the 73/74 grilles I have laying around here. I've never driven around a round eye before.

Then, worst case I'll yank the 400 out and save for my '74 build (if I ever get around to it) and part out the rest.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

For whatever reason, the cracking around the striker seems to be common on the Blazers. A few of the ones I have had were cracked (On both sides).

At least at your initial buy in, you don't need to worry much about what happens to it. Be careful, Blazers are addictive. You will want a newer, nicer one soon.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Ya, been bugging my painter to sell me his. My dad actually bought this K5 new in 88 and sold it, then bought it back a few years later and then sold it to our painter, who is my painter now by chance. I'm trying to convince him it is worn out, just rolled over 110k, getting close to needing it's second paint job, just developed a leak in the radiator.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

If he's watched you rebuild your '87, then he should let it go. Who would want to go through all of that aggrivation?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I had a '76 that developed cracks around the driver's side door striker, I had to get it welded up to fix.

Good looking truck - what are your plans for it?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Jon, I'd say he did more than watch the build, hehe.

Bruiser, first thing I gotta do is get a better idea on what all the poor girl needs. I'm really hoping with little work I can have a part time summer cruiser to go out and have some fun in. My 8 year old boy would love riding in it with the top off, as would I.

As busy as we got the last week or so in the shop, I have no time at all other than to pull the thing outside in the morning and back inside when we close up. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to crawl around on it and see the condition of the suspension and brakes and fluids etc. Will still be a few weeks before I get the title so I can tag it, so I'm not really pressured on anything yet.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

cool another one saved
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Whatever you do dont stick your fingers in the tailgate when working on that window. Those window regulators are pre loaded and I have 2 friends that have lost parts of fingers when they snap back. I happened to me also trying to remove the window stuff but I managed to pull back fast enough.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
msgross

my first vehicle was a 79 K5... That center console is worth 75+ dollars and more if it was restored... The 67-72 guys use them for their buckets...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 04-12-2011 at 09:13 AM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Well I opened a can or worms and didn't know it. Oops.

Came in on Sunday and was going to fix the wobble in the steering column. Just knew it was only the tilt mechanism that had worked loose, seen it 100 times and fixed a few of them before. Anyways, got the column disassemble process underway and kept running in to issues. I know, say it is not so, not on a 32 year old truck! Signal was broke, cruise wire was all bound up, bearings were falling apart. It just seems everything I touched fell apart or was already broken. It was also pretty clear it had been a theft recovery at some point, the bowls were all broken up and someone had just done enough to make the key work again.
I decided another column was going to be much easier and cheaper. Did some research and it really appeared the column I had in my '74 would not work (dunno why, maybe someone else knows, figured the electrical was probably different) and I knew the column from the '73 would not work since it was a standard shift on the column.
Searched around and finally found a nice column out of an '82, was a non tilt vs the tilt that I have, but I figured that would be ok and one less thing to worry about. Plus they had a key for it! So I could not give them the $100 fast enough and get it back to the shop. Got the old column out and started putting in the new one. Went to plug in the ignition wires, and it was different, doh. Swapped out the ignition module from the old column, problem solved, I thought. Well, funny thing, now the key operated just opposite of what it should, oops. I then noticed each of the modules had an arrow on them, and they were pointing opposite directions! After some more looking and head scratching, I swapped the modules back out and was able to get the plug in to work. Barely had enough slack in the wires to flip the plugs and get them in place. But it worked.
Got it buttoned up and working though! Still need to search through my stash and find a steering wheel horn button that will stay on, and fix the horns under the hood, but everything works again.

I'm guessing the ignition switch is different between tilt and non tilt, that is the thing I can think of? Maybe because of the pivot on a tilt it ends up pulling the rod instead of pushing it or something? Was a learning experience though and I'm glad I did it.

Now to see why 1/2 of the speedometer cable is missing. There is no cable from the cruise module to the transmission. At least I think it is supposed to go to the transmission? Or does it go to the transfer case? I also got a ton of extra wires ripped out. Between the brake controller and the alarm system, there was a pretty bad rats nest of tangled up junk under the dash and under the hood.

Still anxious to get the title so I can get it tagged, take the doors off and the top off, and go for a little spin.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

You are right on the ignition switches; they are opposite on tilt vs. non tilt. The speedometer cable goes into the transfer case from the cruise servo.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Hrm, that's gonna suck then. I see a place on the transfer case, I'd call it more of a hole than a hookup though. I'll have to crawl under it again.

Not that I care if it works or not myself, but if I can do enough little things to it I might just put a for sale sign on it and flip it right before winter. The prime time to sell a 4x4 around here.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #21
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

There should be a threaded place on the drivers side, towards the top. If it's just a hole, the adapter may be gone. Should be the same for any other 203, so that may make it easy to find.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #22
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Ya, there is just a hole, at least an inch big. I think I can see fluid... Been trying to find time to get out to LKQ Self Serve, they show to have a 79 K5. Still need to find a tailgate with a crank window and maybe round up the speedometer parts.

That or hit up the guys in the parts for sale area, I know I've seen a bunch of old 4x4's being parted out in there.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #23
Greenlee

I think she is from Houston. I see a Norman Frede sticker. If I remember correctly that was a dealership here back in the day.

You get the trim on the 87' shop truck yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #24
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I'll look at that sticker closer tomorrow and let you know.

No, we have not trimmed it out yet. I am really waiting to get the vinyl lettering done, but I am getting tired of waiting on the company to be honest. I think tomorrow I might look around for another graphic company to hurry it up, or just go ahead and think about getting the moldings and mirrors back on it. I still think it'd be better to letter it first and put the moldings and stuff on top of it, rather than have them trimming out the graphics with a blade on my fresh colors.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #25
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Well I'm sort of clueless on this adapter piece for the transfer case so the speedo has something to connect to. I'm going to go with faith though and pray that Ray is hooking me up with the piece I need.